ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rustproofing services advice

Ben02

ClioSport Club Member
Soon I'm going to send my Clio away to be rustproofed. Is there anything I should know about it/look out for before doing so?

I have a place in mind as to where I think I'm going to send it. However, if anybody has any recommendations please let me know. I live just outside of Banbury, Oxfordshire but don't mind sending it a few hours away. I'm not too concerned about cost, just want high quality workmanship.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Soon I'm going to send my Clio away to be rustproofed. Is there anything I should know about it/look out for before doing so?

I have a place in mind as to where I think I'm going to send it. However, if anybody has any recommendations please let me know. I live just outside of Banbury, Oxfordshire but don't mind sending it a few hours away. I'm not too concerned about cost, just want high quality workmanship.
I've always done my own, but I guess if I was sending it to a repairer I'd be discussing the specific areas that you want treating, what products and methods they use and what sort of warranty/guarantee they provide.

I've seen a few cars done locally and they're horrendous. They sprayed everything underneath, exhaust, suspension, over handbrake cables.

The best Clio I've seen on here by a garage was @R29TJR 182 project. Everything was stripped off, treated, painted and put back together. I assume as you've decided who you're using, you'll know about their workmanship.

Ben02

ClioSport Club Member
I've always done my own, but I guess if I was sending it to a repairer I'd be discussing the specific areas that you want treating, what products and methods they use and what sort of warranty/guarantee they provide.

I've seen a few cars done locally and they're horrendous. They sprayed everything underneath, exhaust, suspension, over handbrake cables.

The best Clio I've seen on here by a garage was @R29TJR 182 project. Everything was stripped off, treated, painted and put back together. I assume as you've decided who you're using, you'll know about their workmanship.
Thanks. So far I have searched around online for who could potentially do a very good job. I've done the basics, looking over previous examples of work, what people say they do and have read reviews. Tomorrow I was going to ring the place I may send it to, ask them some questions and go from there.

Are there any products you'd want to avoid? Any areas that may not be obvious but should definitely be treated?

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks. So far I have searched around online for who could potentially do a very good job. I've done the basics, looking over previous examples of work, what people say they do and have read reviews. Tomorrow I was going to ring the place I may send it to, ask them some questions and go from there.

Are there any products you'd want to avoid?
I've only really used Bilt Hamber and some Dinitrol products but if a company didn't use those, it wouldn't stop me from using them. They'll all have their preferences anyway.

For me, it's all in the preparation.

Concerning areas that may not be obvious, these cars are showing their age now, and many have gone beyond surface corrosion.

I guess it depends on what level you're going for.

Completely stripped back - ie fuel tank out, subframes front a rear out, exhaust, heatshields off etc....

Behind the rear door cards to look at the rear quarters, in and around petrol flap, front and rear jacking points, rear bumper off to look at the rear boot floor pan seams, front bumper off to look the brackets, wheel arch liners off - where the carbon canister attaches, top of the rear damper stops near the rear chassis legs. I could go on :ROFLMAO:

So many areas to look at now.

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2

Pm me Buddy we have a professional body shop based in Essex

Ben02

ClioSport Club Member

When I said that cost wasn't an issue originally, what I meant was for certain work to be carried out. I don't have the budget for a full underside restoration. This is where I intend to send it and what they offer is the type of thing that I'd like done. https://www.jrclassics.co.uk/ There are a lot of examples of their work on their Fb page https://www.facebook.com/JRClassicsLtd/?locale=en_GB

A good idea?

I haven't contacted them yet as a few things have been delayed.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
When I said that cost wasn't an issue originally, what I meant was for certain work to be carried out. I don't have the budget for a full underside restoration. This is where I intend to send it and what they offer is the type of thing that I'd like done. https://www.jrclassics.co.uk/ There are a lot of examples of their work on their Fb page https://www.facebook.com/JRClassicsLtd/?locale=en_GB

A good idea?

I haven't contacted them yet as a few things have been delayed.
I’m not familiar with them to be honest, but having a quick look at their Facebook page, the majority of the work seems to be cavity waxing and underseal. That’s something you can easily do yourself.

I’d only give mine to a restoration company where fabrication was a requirement.

How bad is your car?

Ben02

ClioSport Club Member
I’m not familiar with them to be honest, but having a quick look at their Facebook page, the majority of the work seems to be cavity waxing and underseal. That’s something you can easily do yourself.

I’d only give mine to a restoration company where fabrication was required.

How bad is your car?
According to the mechanic who works on it, it's not bad. There seems to be quite a bit of surface rust from what I've seen of the underside but is solid. In the summer both rotten sills were repaired. The passenger side only needed a small repair. The sill on the driver's side was cut away until there was good metal. It meant removing pretty much the whole of the outer sill. The inner structure was then rebuilt with new metal, rustproofed, then a new outer sill panel was welded in. The whole area was painted then rustproofed on the inside.

It is currently my only car and so will be used throughout the whole year. I hope I don't have to, but I may have to sell it in the summer depending on its ULEZ compliance status (soon to be sorted). I'd be a bit uncomfortable using it over the next few months unprotected, so would want this work done regardless (only doing this now as was sat with a problem September - November and has been with a garage being fixed since mid November).

I genuinely don't have the time to do it myself and I'd want someone with me to guide me if I was doing it myself.