ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Springs and shocks

edwarj123

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Hi,
I have a standard 2004 182 with no cup packs.

I'm looking to stiffen it up a bit and lower it a tad.

The car doesn't feel that planted round bends, especially in the wet - not really a surprise since I've been driving an 4WD Audi S5 that last couple of years but anyhow I want to improve this clio a bit, lowering it a bit but not really for cosmetic reasons, just to improve the handling.

I'm going to use it on a couple of track days.

I need some new tyres so that should improve it a bit - suggestions welcome
What do I need to do this - springs and shocks? just springs etc? Suggestions on which ones to go for.

Thanks a lot

Justin.

mk1 Octavia VRS
What's your budget for the suspension? Will you be fitting it yourself or taking it to a garage?

edwarj123

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Not a big budget really, I bought the car as a daily driver as I had too much tied up in the Audi so I cant spend a fortune on it. I just want it to be a better experience on the track and road. I'm not trying to make it look better per say, just stiffen it up and give it better handling.
I would use my local mechanic who I've known for years, I trust him that he'll just charge me the labour that he really needs to.
If it's too expensive I'll just not bother and enjoy it as much as I can as it is :)

Thanks for your help and interest.
Justin.

WRX
I'd go for new OEM shocks and Eibach sportline springs. Refresh bushes etc. if required.
Worn shocks make it a little wishy washy.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Cup shocks and Eibach Sportlines or Cooksport springs.
A rear anti-roll bar will stiffen up the rear, although can induce understear.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Cup shocks and Eibach Sportlines or Cooksport springs.
A rear anti-roll bar will stiffen up the rear, although can induce understear.

Do you mean oversteer? Cos it reduces understeer!
I loved my konis, sportlines and whiteline combo, worked really well on the road and track. Actually selling it all very soon since the car is gone now :(

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
H&r springs as an alternative. I really really rate mine and have had allsorts of springs

182 ff
with having a none cup pack,you have a greater choice..you can put koni yellows on, with sportlines.. you can adjust the front dampers to your liking..ask that Djw John..what the mileage is on them he is selling..,he may save you a lot of money..
I think your spacing is 54mm so don't think you can use cup dampers..they are about 15% stiffer than no cup..
make sure your car is a none cup before you buy any dampers...Renault told me mine was a none cup..turned out it was.
as for tyres, there is only one tyre to buy...Yokohama Advan Neova AD08..
while you at it, get a power flex polly bush dog bone..best upgrade I have done..
if you get all the above set up right, with a proper wheel alignment, even the stig in an S5,will not catch you on a country road..

Last edited:

edwarj123

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
with having a none cup pack,you have a greater choice..you can put koni yellows on, with sportlines.. you can adjust the front dampers to your liking..ask that Djw John..what the mileage is on them he is selling..,he may save you a lot of money..
I think your spacing is 54mm so don't think you can use cup dampers..they are about 15% stiffer than no cup..
make sure your car is a none cup before you buy any dampers...Renault told me mine was a none cup..turned out it was.
as for tyres, there is only one tyre to buy...Yokohama Advan Neova AD08..
while you at it, get a power flex polly bush dog bone..best upgrade I have done..

Thank you, my car has a non cup spoiler and sits pretty high compared to the cup packs I've seen, also no front splitter etc so I presume it's not - I take it that's not enough to tell?
When you say I can't use the cup dampers - is that the shocks or something else I need to get?
I used to use Yokohamas on my Cavalier Turbo 4x4 many years ago, loved them, although they were pretty soft and didn't last long... looking in the mirror I could see where I'd been leaving them on the road :) but that was 20 years ago haha, I was a bit younger then.

Justin.

Ills

ClioSport Club Member
As a non cup packed 182 you can use 172 cup shocks as they have the same 54mm spacing.

edwarj123

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
So these are the exact right springs? http://www.mk-fahrwerkstechnik.de/E...BB0-1-2-CB0-1-2-20-16V-Sport-E20-75-001-03-22
I chose the
  • 2.0 16V Sport - 132 Kw
As it's a 2004 182 - that's correct right? Not the 2.0 16V SPORT (CB0M) - 124 KW
These would just go straight on? I don't need to buy anything else for these to work?
If I got 172 Cup shocks they would just go straight on with these and I wouldn't need anything else with them either? Spacers etc?

Thanks for all your help.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Cooksport springs are another alternative, I've been happy with them in the same set up as above (refresh cup shocks and bushes plus whiteline arb) but will end up upgrading this year sometime as its soley track and competitive stuff really for me

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Like everyone has said, the poor handling will be the 12 year old suspension parts you have now.

So these are the exact right springs? http://www.mk-fahrwerkstechnik.de/E...BB0-1-2-CB0-1-2-20-16V-Sport-E20-75-001-03-22
I chose the
  • 2.0 16V Sport - 132 Kw
As it's a 2004 182 - that's correct right? Not the 2.0 16V SPORT (CB0M) - 124 KW
These would just go straight on? I don't need to buy anything else for these to work?
If I got 172 Cup shocks they would just go straight on with these and I wouldn't need anything else with them either? Spacers etc?

Because it's not got the Cup pack, you can use 172 suspension (which is why you have a bigger choice). You won't need anything else, it bolts to the back of the hub (which is where the bolt spacing difference comes from) and then the top of the shock sits in the top mount with a nut on top which is a standard fit on any Clio AFAIK.

182 ff
I chose the
  • 2.0 16V Sport - 132 Kw

have a look on here...http://k-tecracing.com/.. gives you an idea of different dampers and springs you can have..