ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Splitting headlights

ph1 track weapon
Hi all,

need to separate the lens from the rest of the unit. is it a case of heating the sealant up to a hot enough level to prose it open, or is there another way? any help much appreciated

ed

DCi 100
As far as I know yeah, it's basically just sealed together like a cream egg.

Not done it myself yet but will come to it in the next project.

Try a heat gun etc and a flat head screwdriver, good thick pair of kevlar gloves will be a must. If not try your oven.

CLIO PH1 172
gas mark 3 for 10 mins should bring the flavour out nice without cracking the light leaving you with a moist sealant, add a flat screw driving for extra flavouring and wolla now for desert........

ph1 track weapon
sounds good to me. i'll wait for the housemates to go out............................then i'll ruin their oven, and possibly my headlight!

DCi 100
I'mma pick up some non-xenon ph2 ones for messing with tbh dude lol, hopefully get them for 25/30 quid mark which I'll be happy to waste for an experiment.

If your worried about ruining the oven just put tin foil all underneith the headlight/bottom of oven.

ph1 track weapon
i got one from a scrappy which was a bit knackered anyway so if i ruin it i wont be too worried as have a backup one too.

Its for a 'different' idea i have, so its gonna be hit or miss anyway!

Fabia VRS Special Ed
I'm gonna do this soon, thing is I don't have any money to buy some temporary replacements lol!

Lets hope I don't fcuk them up, just need to get all of the flies and sh*t from inside the lights it's doin my head in :mad:

And to reseal them as they always steam up :(

CLIO PH1 172
you shouldnt ruin the oven atall, litrelly get the oven warm and put them in, i kept getting them out evry 1/2mins and poking the sealant to see if it got tacky/started to melt - i didn't leave them in until it totally melted and just lifted off. the oven just helped soften it

ph1 track weapon
ah ok. well i'll give it a go over the next few days, and then may reveal my new super secret mod to the world if it works!

ph1 track weapon
no vids/pics. proving difficult tho
sealant is pretty hardcore, and look like a complete tard sat infront of the oven

ph1 track weapon
Right,
so i've managed to split the headlight! Its a PITA of a job, and i'd strongly advise wearing heat-proof gloves. but success was achieved!

a pic of the finished item!

ed

IMG_6672.jpg

ph1 track weapon
it'll be a while whilst i get everything sorted, but end result should be a little 'DIFFERENT'

DCi 100
Swapping the bulbs around so the normal driving lights are in the middle and the high beams are on the outside.

Sorry for spilling dude :dapprove:

ph1 track weapon
Well lets hope it works eh. tempted to see what painting the reflective bits black'll look like. I know a lot of the vw guys do it and it looks half decent. and if all else fails its only cost me £15

ph1 track weapon
The plastic was like that when i got it, so i'm gonna use the guide on here to tidy it up. Only has my distance lens on the camera so couldnt take anything close up

ed

As for polishing up the headlights, Yeah should work just hope the heat has'nt screwed up the plastic completly.

Doesnt the black stop the light reflections?

ph1 track weapon
Yep it will. i'm purely doing it tp try stuff out. perhaps iusing tinting spray so i still have reflective properties.

Or i could infact be doing something totally different and sending you guys off on a tangent..............