ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spax quality issues

SQ5
You did it in the stupidest way possible - if Bilstein now email admin saying they've found this thread through google searches and it's damaging to their reputation and libellous then it will get deleted too

Jeez, it's hardly damaging, I'm talking about the good side of their customers services and comparing to the company in question! As far as I'm aware everybody on here has had good customer service from BUK. The title of his thread was pointing out very clearly what he though of them!

LOL have you read your own post

You were stating they didn't do the first refurb correctly - then only did a good refurb because of the damaging post appearing on google which your mate removed because he'd got a free refurb. Not exactly singing the praises of customer services

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
LOL have you read your own post

You were stating they didn't do the first refurb correctly - then only did a good refurb because of the damaging post appearing on google which your mate removed because he'd got a free refurb. Not exactly singing the praises of customer services

Agreed, but off topic for this thread considering admin apparently want it stay very clearly on topic.

Trouble is that I guess a lot of the people who bothered to take the time to put their experience of Spax in the other thread cant be arsed to do it all over again just cause it got deleted.
Follow up threads are never as good, lol.

Last edited:
I understand people have had issues with spax but I cant complain about the two sets ive had,

Here is a picture showing the condition of my rear suspension at a year old, as you can see they haven't been cleaned by the state of the springs ;)
No play, no pitting, not rusted, seals still intact and no leaking :)
AFF969EB-4992-4392-9A29-76C244F693CC-2678-000000FBE86ADED1.jpg

Also the front are still fine, ive just lowered the car all round and all the adjusters moved willingly before I applied any spray

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
As above. I know others have had issues but mine have been great.

Almost 30k miles in a year, no rust, leaks etc.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
I understand people have had issues with spax but I cant complain about the two sets ive had,

Here is a picture showing the condition of my rear suspension at a year old, as you can see they haven't been cleaned by the state of the springs ;)
No play, no pitting, not rusted, seals still intact and no leaking :)
AFF969EB-4992-4392-9A29-76C244F693CC-2678-000000FBE86ADED1.jpg

Also the front are still fine, ive just lowered the car all round and all the adjusters moved willingly before I applied any spray
The springs are looking a little rusty there though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Slightly Rusty springs wouldnt be a huge worry anyway tbh. It's the seals leaking and damper rods rotting on so many of them that's the big worry.

Last edited:
  182cup/D40/Hornet
Just a quick update after my account has been hanging in balance for the last couple of days.

The Spax issue is now in the hands of their MD, who is unwilling to speak to me

The staff at Spax are refusing to discuss the matter because its 'out of their hands' and also refusing to inform me of the name of their MD

Customer care at its best!

Lotus Elise
If it was me, I'd go sit in their office until someone sees you and then invoice them for the time off work you had to take.

Honestly, do it. I did it to a gearbox company in Stoke.

182cup/D40/Hornet
u7eqavas.jpg

ge3ydyqu.jpg

ra8ugy9y.jpg

Just to add to this thread, if anyone does decide to purchase this kit in the future, I PERSONALLY wouldn't know why anybody would want to after reading through, take into account you MAY need to purchase spacers for the rear due to SOME of the kits rubbing.

I did, purchased two pairs of H&R 5 mm spacers and pure Motorsport stud kit to accommodate the spacers.
Unfortunately I didn't get to fit these bits due to the kit prematurely failing and being made from seemingly very poor quality materials.

I think this point is very important, as it is information regarding the kit which, in my opinion, would be very important to a would be purchaser of this kit.
So, in my opinion, this post is not indicative of a 'hate campaign' just informative.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
That can be an issue with other kits using a similar diameter spring (ie most of them) so I think thats not a big deal personally, but I do agree with you that I think people probably need their heads read if they choose to buy these kits despite all the problems people have had, its just a shame the other thread with all the details got binned really in terms of people seeing how common the problems are, its by no means a small percentage of the people who have these coilovers.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
My rears after around 6 months of being fitted and run over winter, not the best but could be worse!

IMAG0538.gif

IMAG0537.gif

IMAG0531.gif

Dirty with abit of surface rust.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
You certainly seem to have been one of the lucky ones in the "spax quality lottery" there mate :)

Lol ye not to bad, one of rears does creak abit at low speeds over bumps though, also in my last pic it looks as though the spring has rubbed slightly against the strut causing the rust. Lastly I had a massive issue with one of the fronts having to much powercoating applied so had to remove some to actually get the hub into the strut, f**king ballache!

Some of these pics make mine look new! Ha

Drive it more? :p

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol ye not to bad, one of rears does creak abit at low speeds over bumps though, also in my last pic it looks as though the spring has rubbed slightly against the strut causing the rust. Lastly I had a massive issue with one of the fronts having to much powercoating applied so had to remove some to actually get the hub into the strut, f**king ballache!

Far from ideal but still a lot better than a lot of folk are finding!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Far from ideal but still a lot better than a lot of folk are finding!

I know you're not Spax's biggest fan but for the £600 odd quid I paid for them im happy enough as I wanted a set with the stand alone rears and adjustable dampening (yes I know I dont have a clue how to set them up, lol) but im thinking I should of got a set of billys when Kam had them on offer :( Oh well!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ive used Spax myself before when they have come up cheap secondhand, they arent completely useless, you just have to buy them with your eyes wide open.
I do feel sorry for the people on here who have paid even more than the 650 they are readily available for though, some people have paid 800-900 quid for them and they must be properly gutted at seeing what they are really available for let alone at all the issues.

Billies aren't much of an upgrade over the spax

I'd say they're better build quality wise but the lack of adjustability is annoying as hell

KW V2's are about the next step up - but they're £1200. The ones I've got on mine now are 6-9months old and literally might as well be new, not even any sign of surface rust on them

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Billies aren't much of an upgrade over the spax

I'd say they're better build quality wise but the lack of adjustability is annoying as hell

KW V2's are about the next step up - but they're £1200. The ones I've got on mine now are 6-9months old and literally might as well be new, not even any sign of surface rust on them

Thats what I wanted, however I cant justify spending that sort of money on coilovers for the amount I drive my car :(

I know you're not Spax's biggest fan but for the £600 odd quid I paid for them im happy enough as I wanted a set with the stand alone rears and adjustable dampening (yes I know I dont have a clue how to set them up, lol) but im thinking I should of got a set of billys when Kam had them on offer :( Oh well!

Set them to medium clicks all round then adjust accordingly :) I run mine 2 clicks harder at the back, unsure what effect that has on the handling but I like the way it drives.

I just need front down to add rake and it should handle perfectly to my needs!

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Set them to medium clicks all round then adjust accordingly :) I run mine 2 clicks harder at the back, unsure what effect that has on the handling but I like the way it drives.

I just need front down to add rake and it should handle perfectly to my needs!

funny that, i run them two clicks softer on the rear, makes it less bouncy at the back.

182cup/D40/Hornet
Just an update on this issue, the finance company have agreed to pay the amount back in full for the kit, as long as I pay (again) to send the kit back to Spax (again).
The finance company will split the carriage (both times) with me which I agreed.
Spax are still accepting no liability for the failure of this kit and are refusing to refund myself/ the finance company.
The kit was sent/tracked back to Spax nearly 3 weeks ago, for the attention of Frank Michaux the managing director of Spax and Motorsport Tuning as my case was 'in his hands' according to Natasha just before she refused to speak to me.
I have just spoken to the finance company who say Spax have acknowledged receiving my parcel but Frank is away on hols and nobody at Spax will open the parcel sent from me as its addressed to him!

It's ok though as I will be travelling nearby in the not too distant future so will call in and open the parcel sent by me for them.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I've just sorted out a warranty job on rears. Logged the claim 7 days ago, hand delivered today and sorted in 1 hour. Very easy. I'd suggest next time you buy anything, buy from someone who provides the best service, not lowest internet price.

Rears have now been redesigned to be more road/general use friendly.

I've just sorted out a warranty job on rears. Logged the claim 7 days ago, hand delivered today and sorted in 1 hour. Very easy. I'd suggest next time you buy anything, buy from someone who provides the best service, not lowest internet price.

Sorry Dan but this sounds like a really s**tty response

Repeatedly Spax have told people the rears never had an issue and haven't been redesigned. Or they aren't designed for road use (lol)
Regardless of which 3rd party sold them Spax themselves are refusing to take them back

Just because you get preferential treatment doesn't mean you can blame their s**t attitude, appalling customer service, and refusal to acknowledge issues onto a consumer!!

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
So what are people doing about 'dodgy' rears? I rung up and was hold there wasn't an issue with them? Why redesign them then I guess? Also how can I identify if my rears are dodgy? One of them does creak abit at slow speeds and the inside of the spring has rubbed slightly on the strut, but working fine for a £800 set of coilovers...

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

Repeatedly Spax have told people the rears never had an issue and haven't been redesigned. Or they aren't designed for road use (lol)
Regardless of which 3rd party sold them Spax themselves are refusing to take them back

Just because you get preferential treatment doesn't mean you can blame their s**t attitude, appalling customer service, and refusal to acknowledge issues onto a consumer!!

I don't get preferential treatment at all, far from it!
The fact they've had a redesign is down to people wanting to use the track kit on every day cars. I think the design engineer underestimated the demand so treated it as an occasional use part without as much refinement. That's also why they still produce the road kit. They've had to add a boot, and they've removed the helper spring to stop the annoying rattle (holds the spring more securely)

The older setup is still fine unless they actually pop/leak etc, in which case the should be covered by warranty if fitted properly (no use of mole grips, and assembly instructions followed etc)

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean

Consumer law says any warranty should go through the retailer, not the manufacturer. The contract is between retailer and customer. If I was in Spax's shoes the first bit of communication I would of said to go through the retailer.

182cup/D40/Hornet

They were purchased through Spax in a round about way, purchased from Frank Michaux's other company Motorsport Tuning, all monies were paid to Spax.
This just reiterates that this company is a front for Spax to deflect bad customer service in my opinion.

So now you are saying Spax don't provide the 'best service', thanks for pointing that out, I know this now after months of some if the worst customer service I have ever experienced.

They've been re designed?
But I thought they was no issue with them?
Would it not have been better for Spax to source/produce better quality items?
Just a suggestion of course, and perhaps a customer service course?

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Anyone got any side by side pics to show the differences or is it internal?