ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Spax quality issues

182cup/D40/Hornet
After posting regarding a quality issue involving a Spax RSX kit which lasted 6-8 weeks, it looks like it has been removed.

So, if your looking for a coil over kit for your clio, do a quick search on here and you'll find nothing but good reports about Spax which will probably sway your purchasing choice.

I have no idea what has went on today for my post to be removed, as I have been in bed due to working nightshift, yes to pay for the Spax kit that's sitting in my kitchen.

I could however use them as ornaments, this will keep them at a more respectable ambient temperature, away from any harsh weather keeping them dry and hopefully they will last a little longer ( no guarantees though! )

Anyway here are photos showing the 'quality' of the Spax kit after 6-8 weeks and less than 250 miles

u8ype8yn.jpg

bu6yra2a.jpg

zu7umyza.jpg

adyhetuj.jpg

e4u8avub.jpg

182 cup
Re: Spax quality issues seemed to have been brushed under the carpet..... How stran

I thought the RSX was a top of the line product?

182cup/D40/Hornet
Spax quality issues seemed to have been brushed under the carpet..... How stran

I can neither clarify or deny whether the kit is 'top of the line' due to being unable to express my opinions in fear of my post being deleted or another member 'running to teacher'
Feel free to look at the pics though and make your own mind up

2002 clio 1.2dynamic
Re: Spax quality issues seemed to have been brushed under the carpet..... How stran

i had hot tuning coilovers on an old car for 2yrs and they never looked that bad whats happened to them could it just be a bad batch OR not im looking into coilovers for my clio atm as its lowered on springs atm and wanting something adjustable

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member

You have been unlucky, mine are fine. They have sent you a new set, fit them and see how you get on, there might have been a fault from the factory with your batch. If the new ones do the same again then you have a reasonable shout at getting your money back.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

I bought the RSX road kit in November 2012, mine are the later/newer type with the damping adjusters at the bottom of the shocks.
I dont use the clio as a daily though but i guess ive done about 1000 miles, so far so good but the powder coating has come off of the front shock in places where no primer has been used (im just going to touch it in)

If my shocks do end up looking like yours though i will be taking them back personally to Spax HQ!!!

Your look proper crap mate, like they have been on the sea bed.

182cup/D40/Hornet

You have been unlucky, mine are fine. They have sent you a new set, fit them and see how you get on, there might have been a fault from the factory with your batch. If the new ones do the same again then you have a reasonable shout at getting your money back.

The kit is now surplus to requirements due to purchasing new OE dampers. This was due to my car being needed back on the road but mainly due to losing faith in the quality of their product. Obviously am not wanting to accept replacements under duress for them to possibly fail again incurring more cost, time etc etc

* it's like purchasing a fire guard made from chocolate, it melts the first time it's used, the company agree to replace it with another fire guard made from chocolate

* I am in no way comparing products manufactured by Spax to chocolate fire guards

Ph2 172

Are yours the full coilover rear kit?

I've got the set with the separate shock and spring rears and haven't had any issues yet but your threads haven't exactly filled me with confidence!

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member

The kit is now surplus to requirements due to purchasing new OE dampers. This was due to my car being needed back on the road but mainly due to losing faith in the quality of their product. Obviously am not wanting to accept replacements under duress for them to possibly fail again incurring more cost, time etc etc

* it's like purchasing a fire guard made from chocolate, it melts the first time it's used, the company agree to replace it with another fire guard made from chocolate

* I am in no way comparing products manufactured by Spax to chocolate fire guards

Dont get me wrong I agree that the product that you got initially is way off the mark and is not acceptable hence why they have sent you another set. At the end of the day problems and mistakes happen all the time and the company have tried to rectify the problem by sending you a new set.

Im not wanting to start an argument as thats why the other thread got deleted but what I would do is try the new set and see how they go, if they are fine then thats great, if they fall to pieces again then by all mean go all guns blazing for a refund! Hundreds of these sets will of been sold and there will be many happy customers (including myself), with many un-happy customers inevitable come some not so happy customers.

Im not wanting to get to involved in this as everyone has their own opinion so good luck with getting your refund. Im out.

Last edited:
  182cup/D40/Hornet

Dont get me wrong I agree that the product that you got initially is way off the mark and is not acceptable hence why they have sent you another set. At the end of the day problems and mistakes happen all the time and the company have tried to rectify the problem by sending you a new set.

Im not wanting to start an argument as thats why the other thread got deleted but what I would do is try the new set and see how they go, if they are fine then thats great, if they fall to pieces again then by all mean go all guns blazing for a refund! Hundreds of these sets will of been sold and there will be many happy customers (including myself), with many un-happy customers inevitable come some not so happy customers.

Im not wanting to get to involved in this as everyone has their own opinion so good luck with getting your refund. Im out.

Exactly here, I'm not wanting to argue on just highlight the factual condition of my kit and lack of customer care performed by Spax.

Yes your right, everybody has their own opinion and if you chose to have the new kit fitted that would be your choice.

Spax were informed, before, by telephone, email and letter what my intentions were with regard to the kit. I even sent another letter/ note in with the parcelled up kit outlining the fact I did not want replacement units sent back.

They chose to ignore any of this, send replacements out without any kind of correspondence to myself.

If I can't get a refund after owning them for this short amount of time what chance would I have after another 6-8 weeks?

Thanks for the input though, but I would say my mind is made up which route I will be going down.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member

Did the resident RSX re-seller complain and get the thread taken down? Important thread imo.

172 cup

I am shocked that thread got taken down as several people also expressed simular problems. Yes some things said were a bit damaging to certain people and not really called for IMO but just clean the thread up instead of removing it.

Like you say anyone searching these in the future will want to see your and others issues with the kit.

182cup/D40/Hornet

I am shocked that thread got taken down as several people also expressed simular problems. Yes some things said were a bit damaging to certain people and not really called for IMO but just clean the thread up instead of removing it.

Like you say anyone searching these in the future will want to see your and others issues with the kit.

I agree, my point exactly, is it now the case that members on the this or any forum are not allowed the express their concerns to help other members make choices in purchasing kit for their cars?

I always thought the point of forums was for like minded individuals to air their views, good or bad, thus helping your fellow members.

When choosing kit for my clio I search / read as many threads on here regarding the said kit, good and bad.

This has helped me over the years I've been on here make decisions, the vast majority bring the right ones.

I have no doubt what so ever if I was singing the praises of Spax my old thread would be still available to view.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3

I agree, my point exactly, is it now the case that members on the this or any forum are not allowed the express their concerns to help other members make choices in purchasing kit for their cars?

I always thought the point of forums was for like minded individuals to air their views, good or bad, thus helping your fellow members.

When choosing kit for my clio I search / read as many threads on here regarding the said kit, good and bad.

This has helped me over the years I've been on here make decisions, the vast majority bring the right ones.

I have no doubt what so ever if I was singing the praises of Spax my old thread would be still available to view.

Its a real shame the original thread was removed. As others have suggested, I also thought it contained a wealth of information that could have helped potential buyers make an informed decision as to getting a set or not.

As it stands, i was also considering a set of RSX for the road car. As it now appears that negative feedback regarding alleged quality issues/problematic customer service has been purposefully deleted, i will instead be purchasing a brand with more favourable reviews.

Its a pity you've not been able to come to an amicable resolution of the matter with Spax Bartebk. Perhaps your next option should be explore the legal avenue and seek some advice prior to pursuing the matter in a small claims court? Hopefully it'll all work out for you mate. :)

172, Tiguan

Chaps, I'd remind you all to read the rules before posting further on questioning the moderation decisions on the forum.

Did the resident RSX re-seller complain and get the thread taken down? Important thread imo.

Not that I, or any of my team have to justify anything, but no, that wasn't the case at all.

182cup/D40/Hornet

Its a real shame the original thread was removed. As others have suggested, I also thought it contained a wealth of information that could have helped potential buyers make an informed decision as to getting a set or not.

As it stands, i was also considering a set of RSX for the road car. As it now appears that negative feedback regarding alleged quality issues/problematic customer service has been purposefully deleted, i will instead be purchasing a brand with more favourable reviews.

Its a pity you've not been able to come to an amicable resolution of the matter with Spax Bartebk. Perhaps your next option should be explore the legal avenue and seek some advice prior to pursuing the matter in a small claims court? Hopefully it'll all work out for you mate. :)

Cheers p@blo, i agree, it's a shame this issue couldn't be dealt with between Spax and myself.
Spax ,in my opinion, have escalated this issue by shirking any kind of responsibility, not liaising with the customer and refusing any kind of monetary refund.
I am fully prepared to take this to a small claims court if need be, both Spax and Motorsport Tuning are in receipt of letters outlining this but to date no response has been received.

I also find the antics of which ever mod deleted my thread questionable, I am still to be given a reason why it was deleted and as this thread outlines, so are other members of this forum.

Transit & Death trap

Chaps, I'd remind you all to read the rules before posting further on questioning the moderation decisions on the forum.

Not that I, or any of my team have to justify anything, but no, that wasn't the case at all.

I really don't want to get into an argument, BUT that comes across(to me anyway) as very arrogant....
Really?... You don't have to justify ANYTHING?
Wow, I want your job.... I'd love to not be particularly diplomatic or explain my actions to my paying customers. LOL

Legal is certainly a potential way of resolving it. Look up sales of goods act, "fit for purpose and last a reasonable amount of time" is a quote that you'll be able to use.

172, Tiguan

I really don't want to get into an argument, BUT that comes across(to me anyway) as very arrogant....
Really?... You don't have to justify ANYTHING?
Wow, I want your job.... I'd love to not be particularly diplomatic or explain my actions to my paying customers. LOL

Trust me, this won't get into an arguement. lol.

I have given a full and detailed reasoning regards the first thread to those involved, not that I had to, but I have.

Thems the rules i'm afraid. I didn't write them, but you agreed to them. :)

Transit & Death trap
I think that if you'd have fitted the replacement RSX kit and had the same issues again, you'd have grounds for legal action, but due to the fact this could be a case of one set of faulty items that they(Spax) have now replaced with new, you'll not have any luck legally IMO.
It's almost like you're questioning the entire quality of the Spax brand and by them refunding you, rather than replacing them is almost admitting there is an issue with quality and obviously they don't feel(or want to admit) that there is.
I totally see where you're coming from though, once bitten, twice shy and all that, but I'd sell the new kit for as much as possible and move on.
Just my opinion though and good luck whatever you decide to do.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

My opinion on forums in general is that I can understand the locking of a thread if admin feels its going round in circles, but at least if its locked and left on the forum rather than deleted it means that people can find the useful info in it in future.

There were a lot of people in that thread who clearly felt they wished they had access to the horror stories about these shocks before they bought them, so to me it makes sense to let others have access to that same information for in future so they can make an informed decision.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

My take on it is Spax have a long history of selling substandard quality products that they tempt retailers into selling by offering huge margins (profit makes people forget principles!) then they fob people off for a while and do the minimum to keep trading and avoid falling foul of the law, presumably while the directors syphon off as much cash as possible, then they go brankrupt, then start again and repeat the cycle.
Been going on for longer than Ive been into trackday cars which is 20+ years!

172, Tiguan
Sometimes the time constraints don't allow for someone to go through a 14 page thread and remove all the appropriate material necessary to replace the thread back into the public domain. I'd like to do this, but the 8 hours of meetings I had yesterday wasn't conclusive to letting me do this. Such is life. I've only got 6 hours of meetings today, so you never know.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sometimes the time constraints don't allow for someone to go through a 14 page thread and remove all the appropriate material necessary to replace the thread back into the public domain. I'd like to do this, but the 8 hours of meetings I had yesterday wasn't conclusive to letting me do this. Such is life. I've only got 6 hours of meetings today, so you never know.

Totally understand if you dont have time available, but if that is the case would it be worth asking for more help with moderating the site if the existing team are snowed under with other commitments, Im sure none of the members want it to be drag for people to moderate the site on our behalf as I would imagine most of us realise without moderation the site couldnt function.

I'd be happy to go through the thread and strip it back to just the key facts for example, im used to editing documents anyway so wouldnt take long.

Totally understand if you dont have time available, but if that is the case would it be worth asking for more help with moderating the site if the existing team are snowed under with other commitments, Im sure none of the members want it to be drag for people to moderate the site on our behalf as I would imagine most of us realise without moderation the site couldnt function.

I'd be happy to go through the thread and strip it back to just the key facts for example, im used to editing documents anyway so wouldnt take long.

So you'd strip it back to solely your own posts?

Transit & Death trap

I have given a full and detailed reasoning regards the first thread to those involved, not that I had to, but I have.

I'm sure you didn't have to give a reason, it's just a shame you felt the need to mention that fact:lolup:.

How very humble of you sir. LOL

172 cup
Anyway like I said before my brother had spax on his BMW which corroded badly in a short time, so I guess this is not just a Clio problem but their suspension in general. Swapped to blisten and have be spot on

Sadly the legal position forums are in these days is stupid - if people go slating the quality of something they haven't personally bought or had any experience with it's technically libel - and the owners/admin of a forum can be legally held responsible

I've personally had 4 court summons for things people have posted on 106Owners :(

It's very depressing though as like others have said people use this forum as gospel when it comes to what products to buy - and when a search returns no negative results people will waste their money on poor quality products :(

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Sadly the legal position forums are in these days is stupid - if people go slating the quality of something they haven't personally bought or had any experience with it's technically libel - and the owners/admin of a forum can be legally held responsible

Yep. Not that we're ever going to start censoring or removing threads purely on this basis.

I wasn't too involved in the thread but having read through it, it basically turned into a b**ch fest and people making unfair assumptions. Views and opinions were so intrinsically linked in that thread that, it wasn't feasible to go through it and edit out every post/comment whatever. Nothing to do with the resources available - peoples time can be better spent moderating the board than fcking about with one thread.

We don't have to justify any moderating decisions to you guys, however Jon and the rest of us encourage communication about this, hence moderating queries are dealt with via PM. No arrogance intended and we will all take and reply to feedback. You all agreed to a set of rules upon joining CS confirming all of this anyway. :D

OP was right to start this therad though, it's good that people can get an overall view now and make up their own minds, but please lets not turn this into one of 'those' threads.

SQ5
Mate with an Evo 5 had some coilovers sent back to Bilstein for a refurb, they came back to him and the adjusters hasn't even been freed off which they were meant to so for the whole clean up etc. This was after weeks and weeks of them "shipping out tomorrow".

He then sent then back again this year for a full a refurb which he got given for free as whenever Bilstein UK was googled it came up with his thread on MLR about the terrible customer services.

He removed it and got the free refurb!

*sigh*

How do you read several people explaining threads like this get removed because of libellous comments from people not directly affected - then go into "a mate of mine" and a rant about a completely different company?

I think this thread should get locked for future reference before it has to be removed again

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
+1 for the locking rather than risk deletion, but perhaps with the option for people who have also had a problem like the one that Mosley mentioned where his Spax leaked despite only being fitted for 2 weeks from new to submit their post to a mod to get added as well, as obviously this thread only so far shows the tip of the iceberb of problems users on this forum have had with Spax?

SQ5
*sigh*

How do you read several people explaining threads like this get removed because of libellous comments from people not directly affected - then go into "a mate of mine" and a rant about a completely different company?

I think this thread should get locked for future reference before it has to be removed again

I was talking about what you said regarding companies seeing things on forums etc...

I was talking about what you said regarding companies seeing things on forums etc...

You did it in the stupidest way possible - if Bilstein now email admin saying they've found this thread through google searches and it's damaging to their reputation and libellous then it will get deleted too