ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sparkplug popped out twice!

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
Hi, just had the sparkplug pop out for a second time in a month.
I understand the No 3 cylinder is the usual culpritm (is the the second from the cambelt out?)
threads on the sparkplug look good, no swarf on them, and it screws right back in, tightens normally etc.

Time for a timesert?

on a related note : I have a 1/4 drive torquewrench whicj has the right range for the sparkplugs (20-40Nm) but cannot for the life of me find a 1/4 drive sparkplugsocket, does such a thing exist?

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
Stick some of that Locking paste they do for this in there? Hopefully wont pop out again?

Cup In bits
I'd be wary of putting 40nm through a 1/4 drive socket depending on the thread size.... the spark plug is large thread and I wouldn't chance it. You'll be able to feel it go tight and then the crush washer will 'squish' a little which again you will feel.

If you have a new plug then throw that in as the crush washer is at full capacity and will bite better and resist slackening from vibration.

FYI a you will be doing very well to see any swarf when a spark plug pops as the combustion forces will blow it clean.

Also you can grind a groove into an old spark plug at 90 degrees to the threads which will then act as a clean out tool incase anything is slightly galled.

Cup In bits
Stick some of that Locking paste they do for this in there? Hopefully wont pop out again?

I would strongly suggest again this, the depth of thread on the cylinder will almost always in most cars pull the thread out with the plug given the metal dissimilarity.

Cup In bits
Yeah I wasn't suggesting 40nm for the SP's It was more in your tools interest as if you have the option you'll use it at one time .

Not really sure on 1/2, my tengtools 3/8 starts at 20nm and goes to 190nm or there abouts iirc and that has done me on the Clio engine's. That's the things with TW's, you find you usually need the set 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 if you're anal about torques. To me torqueing down a spark plug is of no importance but depends how calibrated your elbow is really, you get a feel for what's right on certain things.

Using a TW at extremes of either end of its scale will always be doubtful.