ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

spacers behind rear disc. whos done it?

Audi A5
So I'm thinking of doing this and just wanted to get some opinions on this.

My plan is to get a couple of the spacers that are already between the discs and the rear beam and double them up. Iirc their 20mm thick so it will be Like adding 20mm spacers. I may also put some camber shims in their whilst I'm at it.

So has anyone done this?

Is their enough thread on the four bolts that hold everything together to allow another one of the spacers?

Any help appreciated.

330i. E30 Touring.
The spacers behind the rear disc are not 20mm thick. They're 3-4mm thick at best.

Plus, all they do it keep the bearing firm and space the gap between the stub axle and the bearing. You can't fit more than one.

There isn't a 20mm spacer behind the disc!!its part of the stub axle. And as budgie says you can't put 2 on lol.

330i. E30 Touring.
Unless you mean the stub axle's base plate? But you'd need to cut the axle part off and then find another way of mounting it..

IMO, just spend the money and get spacers if that's what you're after.

Audi A5
What about between the stub and the beam then? My friend had a rear bearing fail on his 172 not so long ago and when we stripped it down their was this spacer which was definitely around the 20mm mark not 3-4mm

I'll have to get a picture next time I See him.

330i. E30 Touring.
That's the stub axle, you're talking about.

This bit?

images

Audi A5
Sorry abit of confusion here. I mean behind the stub not the disc. Basically where you Would put camber shims.

You can put metal plates between the stub axle and the arm, just like the shims as you say. There is quite a bit of thread left on the bolts but the different 1*2 models have different thickness stub axles as std.

Technically there'd be less load on the wheel bearing.

Ordinary spacers would be a lot simpler though.

phase 1 flamer 172
Im making some 10mm spacers up for this very job right now, used to be a common thing in the vw world where i have spent many years, havent looked yet but i have a spare stub axle which im using for a template, i expect to use 10mm longer bolts.

Audi A5
Ah good stuff chaps.

105e - where do you get your metal plate from? i wouldn't mind making my own but wouldnt want to get s**t quality metal.

Ed.innit - they look perfect. Why have you Got four? Where did you get them from?

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
A mate made them for me from ally, they weigh grams each, alot less than any other spacer, and there is no rotating mass, much better and cheaper than a conventional spacer..

Was having 2 made for me, so may aswell make 2 spare ;), maybe selling a set, will see if I can fit 2 spacers each side first ;)

Wonder how much interest there would be if I had 10 sets made?

phase 1 flamer 172
I have a piece of alloy left over from a piece i got of ebay (originally to make an inlet manifold to take jenveys on my modified 105e anglia) because it will be held between 2 pieces of iron i believe it will be perfectly adequate. i have no access to any major equipment any more so its hack saws and files plus a little pillar drill i have. Just takes a long time but its very cheap.

Audi A5
A mate made them for me from ally, they weigh grams each, alot less than any other spacer, and there is no rotating mass, much better and cheaper than a conventional spacer..

Was having 2 made for me, so may aswell make 2 spare ;), maybe selling a set, will see if I can fit 2 spacers each side first ;)

Wonder how much interest there would be if I had 10 sets made?

I reckon their Would definitely be a market for them. I would buy some.

15mm Would be ideal I reckon.

You could also introduce camber as well buy having one side at a degree angle. Would get out of paying £30 for pms ones or ktr weak ones.

Sell me the other Set if you don't use them?

Audi A5
I have a piece of alloy left over from a piece i got of ebay (originally to make an inlet manifold to take jenveys on my modified 105e anglia) because it will be held between 2 pieces of iron i believe it will be perfectly adequate. i have no access to any major equipment any more so its hack saws and files plus a little pillar drill i have. Just takes a long time but its very cheap.

Have you Got a link to the ebay add?

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
I stand corrected:eek:

There must be some kind of backfall/downside??? Geometrey etc???

Why must there?

No rotating mass
No longer wheel bolts needed
No extra load on the bearing
Gives you a wider track

Yea id thought about rear camber, but after 3/4 track days the outsides are only very slightly worn compared to the insides, so would only need a tiny bit, may try some washers under there.
Obviously machining them at an angle would massively increase the machining costs..

May look into getting some made.

Ive not got a wheel with a tyre on it currently, but ive bolted an alloy to the hub with my 16mm front spacers and it looks certain that a tyre would hit the arch with my coilovers set how they are, but cant be certain till ive had the wheels painted and tyres put back on...

phase 1 flamer 172
Afraid i have no link as i purchased it some time ago, but i remember it wasnt hard to find and it was available in various small sizes.

Audi A5
I had a play with my 25mm spacers on the back just to See if it can be done with out raising the back up loads and i Would say it can. Check out my threads its in one of my recent ones, I can't do a link as I'm on my phone.

Personally I wouldn't go above 20mm.

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
This set up has been used for years on fiestas, in fact you can actually buy the spacers for them from Ford as they were OE fit on the racing Pumas.

2014 Clio 200t edc
I'd be interested in a pair of 10mm if the price was right!!
now if only it could be done for the front!!

I'd be interested in a set of 10mm's. Personally I'd then use camber shims rather than incorporating them in the spacer so you can get your geometry set as more times than not the rear beam isn't equal in camber/toe.

Nick

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
Fair shout Nick!
Ill be heading to the water jetters either monday or tuesday, will get a price for 10 sets..

if that place i mentioned let you down Ed with the cutting gimme a holla and i`ll speak to some other peeps that do profiling..

PoT <3

Cup In bits
This set up has been used for years on fiestas, in fact you can actually buy the spacers for them from Ford as they were OE fit on the racing Pumas.

This^^^

Its what makes the difference between a puma and a racing puma axle.

Neil what spacers have you on the back, could you go more or less?

E46 M3 + Ph1 172
Yea for sure.
Ill just get a quote first, make a thread then see if the price is right.

Dont mind paying for a few sets to be made, but if 20 people want them, I want a deposit first, dont fancy paying for 20 sets to be cut,t hen nobody wanting lol.

Cheers Stu xx

What does everyone want them made from?
Steel would probably be cheaper, cant imagine they will weigh much, my ally ones weigh less than a Galaxy S2

Also, can someone confirm the hole centers for the 4 bolts on a Ph2 are the same as a Ph1?

Last edited: