ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

sonny172cup "track car to race car project"

So where am I with the car at the moment?

Next week I am going to send off the front suspension shocks to Spax to be re-valved and to order some Faulkner springs all round, cant stretch to the AST II's at this stage, so im going to have to make best with what I have. Spoke to Spax who have quoted around £70 per shock to re-valve or £100 to re-valve and refurbish. With the Spax fully re-valved and decent race springs these should hold up well against the AST boys ;)

Engine remap and cams will have to wait for the moment, car seems to go happily on its old ktec remap at the moment ( I do miss having the 438 cams though). One thing I have been looking into is a PMS exhaust system at some stage, purely for the growl and looks aspect.

I am also looking at further weight saving too, more to follow on that.

Nice videos, and good to see the telemetry as well. Will you be at Donington next month?

Glad the chap who roll it is ok, could have been a lot worse. Can't believe how the cage just seem to fold like that, do you know what make the cage was?

Thanks buddy, I will be at Donny, I will be doing all the races this season (as long as the car holds up).

Looking at the pics, the cage looked like it did its job, cant see where its folded? it is a low profile cage anyway as its for a Celica, I think it was a Safety Devices one (they have a good rep).

The telemetry is very good and also the data software of your races and lines.

Heres a few with a Google earth overlay

esses2lines.jpg

camplines.jpg

Quarrylines.jpg

UPDATE: June 2014

Again, due to work and other commitments not a lot has happened with the Clio, I manage to replace the crank sensor this week with the newer style (blue) sensor, it actually makes a real difference, my old one must have been proper shagged! Looking at rolling the car out tomorrow/Friday for a clean/wash and replacing the brake pads and bleeding the front lines only.

2 weeks ago I put an order through for some AST II's, these should be here by Julys race as Snetterton.

Looking at cleaning the tyres up a little, need to DIY shave the feathering/marbles

Got fed up of using a spirit level and ruler for adjusting camber so ordered one of these.....I'v used this model before and was impressed, so decided to order one.

photo.jpg

So, I am nearly all set for this weekends race at Donny, round 3 of the Tricolore Trophy

Times as follows

Sign on: 0715

Scrute: 0730

Quali: 0915

Race 1: 1505

Race 2: 1640

I'm arriving Sat evening, so see you guys there :)

Good choice with the camber gauge. Great bit of kit and so easy and fast to use.

Donington will be a good meeting.

Nice camber gauge. Can it compensate for an uneven floor? Or does it need to be completely level?

Shame race 1 and 2 are so close together, should be a good day though. :)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Great bit of kit that for the price, my mate has one I sometimes steal :)

182cup & 172 racecar
I've got a different frame to that, got leveling feet at the bottom, so it can be done on an uneven floor, which is really handy.

Yes went well, beat my PB by seconds however the tyres started going off by the 3rd lap and by lap 5 they was done, was hard work trying to keep it on the black stuff to be honest. With the tyres going off the brakes kept locking up, even trying to moderate the braking and taking corners slightly wide to manage the tyres.

In the second race I overcooked it coming into the chicane, made worst by the tryes shocking handling. I got stuck in the kitty litter, being towards the end of the race.

Shame as i had 2 very good starts managed to overtake a few cars and hold position for a lap or two until the tyres went off. When theres one problem theres always another.

Race report coming soon

Yes went well, beat my PB by seconds however the tyres started going off by the 3rd lap and by lap 5 they was done, was hard work trying to keep it on the black stuff to be honest. With the tyres going off the brakes kept locking up, even trying to moderate the braking and taking corners slightly wide to manage the tyres.

In the second race I overcooked it coming into the chicane, made worst by the tryes shocking handling. I got stuck in the kitty litter, being towards the end of the race.

Shame as i had 2 very good starts managed to overtake a few cars and hold position for a lap or two until the tyres went off. When theres one problem theres always another.

Race report coming soon

What tyres mate?

Old 888s?

Shame about the tyres Sonny, we were having a good battle in the first race until you went off at the old harpin.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Shame about the tyres sonny I had similar symptoms later on in the race and I know others did too. Mixed weekend for me but great to see all the new runners in the series, excellent close racing all down the field. Will get my race reports up at the weekend.
Russ

Renault 5 gt turbo
I was running a tad more toe out than normal, so wondering if thats what made the tyres go off quicker!

Not sure if the toe out would affect your tyre temps. On my car which is 100kg lighter, it makes no difference.
It was a hot day mate, tyres going off, boiling brake fluid. All in a days racing :)

182cup & 172 racecar
Sounds very strange to me Sonny, esp after only 3-4 laps.

As I said to you on the day, just got to keep playing until it all comes right.

clio cup
We had the same problem both at Oulton and Donny, We scratched our heads for ages, First off it was so noticable in the laptimes, my 4th lap would be our fasted, from that point on times would drop and I'd be running wide on the exits, Tyre temps were nowhere near high enough to be going off,
Our conclusion was that the suspension just cannot handle the stick your giving it, And I think as Sonny pushes on (this shows in his improved laptimes) the SPax just cant take it.

Do you measure the tyre temps when you come in Sonny?
You will see a huge difference when you have the AST's fitted mate

iirc the tyre temps was around 53deg buy the time I got to the paddock. Tyre pressure was around 31psi, the car handled better in the second race when I dropped the cold pressures down buy 5 psi to what I normally run. Will also add that the brakes was locking up too.

I checked the car over this morning and one of the brake discs was wobbling also the wheel studs was lose....not sure what's caused that. I was getting brake judder that day (new pads) so maybe it could have been this that was causing it (or maybe it was the judder that caused it?).

clio cup
Re the braking issue mate, sounds like the brake discs have warped, this could give you a lock up as when the high point travels through the pads it will grab, once the tyre has locked up you would need to come off the brakes to release the disc,

As Paul said on Sunday, may be worth getting them skimmed at an engineers. if they are cheap discs the just buy another set, in the meantime get the old ones skimmed and keep them as an emergency,

At one point in the race I thought I'd craked a disc the pedal feel was like the disc was in too halves, which means I've probally heat cycled them too much now and need new ones.

Another awesome weekends racing with the TARC in the Tricolore Trophy, with a combined grid and stand alone race it made great racing...however the car still had a few niggles that put a slighter downer on the weekend.

Quali:

Overall quali went "ok", while not putting in the fastest lap, the 2 main problems I noticed during the quali was serious brake judder and the R888 squealing like hell and sliding about. So, putting the squealing down to tyre pressure being to high and the judder being due to to new pads (?). I settled with a 15/39 1:28:7m

Race 1:

Prior to race I dropped tyre pressure by 4psi (cold) to what I would normally run and double checked the pads, discs and wheels for any abnormalities, nothing was spotted apart from a slight knocking KTEC top mount.

I got off to a very good start in race 1, gaining a few places but then soon losing them to again, serious bad handling, caused by the R888, I am putting the bad handling down to running too much toe out. One thing, I cant afford (and time) to do testing so am playing about with setting at race meetings, not ideal, but these things have to be done.

I finished 12th with a 1.26. Happy with the time, 3 seconds quicker than my personal best (not bad for second visit ever to Donny).

No race footage, SD card ran out.

Race 2

Dropped tyre pressures even more, running 7psi lower than I would normally, brake judder seemed to have gone...for the while.

Again got off to a good start, holding a few places longer, ahead of my old rival Dinger dong ;)...but not for long.. again my tyres was going off again, but the 3rd lap I was struggling to keep the car on the track, then the inevitable happened...I slid off at the chicane, trying to avoid hitting the high sausage I swerved and got bedded down in the gravel, where the stewards left me until the end of the race...barstewards :evil: So got a DNF....

On board footage

http://youtu.be/Cg-ZVtJ5WS4

Well, I will say that I still had fun racing, esp with the 2 new Clios on board, we seem evenly matched, so this makes good racing, gives me someone to play with ;0

When I got home, I gave the car a once over and noticed one of my brake discs had movement, the 2 discs retaining screws was loose and so was the 4 PMS wheel studs! So not sure what's happened here, thinking maybe the brake juddering had caused it to work its way lose, or the brake wobbling was the caused of the juddering? But im sure I would have felt this when checking after quali...anyway...

Roll on Snet :)

Renault 5 gt turbo
Well done Sonny, shame about the DNF. I was looking at that gravel a couple of times :)

See you at Snetterton, can bring guages again if you want to play. Hopefully we will have more time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the brake judder problems Sunny. I use DS3000 are you on them too? I've seem a few people say it since I started getting it, not just on here. My discs would only last 2 races before the vibrations were too much. Great pads though apart from that... I've not done enough track time recently to know if I still have an issue.

I hoped a refresh of the steering joints might help but couldn't say anything conclusively yet as I have only done one race since.