ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

So I have just broke down ....

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Rac guys says battery is clicking because it doesn't have the power to turn the engine because the timing is off and something in the bottom end is catching didn't makes sense to me because when rocking the car in gear the cams turned if it was seized surely they wouldn't

172 Turbo
It's clicking because the battery does not have the charge to turn the engine. This could be because the alternator stopped charging it or the battery is dead.
Stick a set of leads on it and it'll probably start

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yep it still sounds electrical, the starter should at least try and spin the engine.

172 Turbo
It would either turn constantly or turn and stop and not turn again.
It wouldn't turn a few times and then click.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
I never noticed if it dimmed or not but I sat for 30 mins with radio on and phone charging before he arrived I tried to start it a couple of times while waiting just got a click, one of the times I tried to start before it clicked it misfired once then died

Clio 182
When they die through alternator failure you have no power at all.
You wouldn't have been able to listen to the radio.

Maybe rac man is onto somthing.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
The alternator and battery are brand new when he connected the battery pack up to it and tried to start it just made a noise never attempted to start could it be the crank or big ends?

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Engines siezed garage says best getting a new engine they will charge 200 to fit it
What you guys think I should do ?

BG Clio 182
Why did the engine seize? I think Dan @ SJM has an engine for about £450 with new belts/dephaser, might send him a message.
Still pretty decent you can get a new engine bought and installed for about the same price as a cambelt job.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
They reckon timing belt slipped I would prefer to buy an engine they have it repaired timing belt and pump dephaser is 200 alone then 150 for valves and thats not including if pistons are damaged then there stripping and fitting.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
He jacked it up in front of me showed the engine was siezed and tried another battery its defo fucked

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I thought the RAC man rocked the car around and confirmed everything was moving inside?
Now it's seized?

Was he turning it by hand to show it didn't move?

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
It moves slightly you can hear it catch the starter won't turn it either just makes a noise

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
No idea its full of oil, I trust the garage used them for years don't fancy paying for it to get moved to a different garage who would charge me more anyway,
I'm just off the phone to garage that done timing belt they say they have no record of doing the job

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
He just off the phone timing belt has slipped had sump off and its trashed :( up to me if I want it stripped or a new engine and can't start it till next week :(

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
He gonna take pictures of the damage for me as as a reminder to walk away next time , its done now I have another car anyway I would of just scrapped it but I took a shine to it,

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
This should of been my first clue, I was tired and just wanted car up the road should of walked away, 2 of my nephews stay an hour and a half drive from there so they going to see the guy I bought it off ask him to pay half the bill

Attachments

• IMG_20160118_115738.jpg
    IMG_20160118_115738.jpg
    723.1 KB · Views: 142
Why would the guy you bought it from pay half the bill? Contact the garage who did the work..

I don't get any of this thread. Why would it suddenly stopping automatically mean timing belt? All the symptoms initially just pointed to a dead battery imo.

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
£295 for a full service from a back street garage?! And those invoices are awful.. No date, signature etc

182 ff
This should of been my first clue, I was tired and just wanted car up the road should of walked away, 2 of my nephews stay an hour and a half drive from there so they going to see the guy I bought it off ask him to pay half the bill
am not being funny but they cant even write, not wonder they have fitted the belt wrong.

182 ff
He gonna take pictures of the damage for me as as a reminder to walk away next time , its done now I have another car anyway I would of just scrapped it but I took a shine to it,
take the pictures to send to the garage who did it, try get an RAC report too, if you have a receipt for the work.. what did you pay for the car anyway?(just seen the receipt so forget that )

Last edited:
  182 ff
Why would the guy you bought it from pay half the bill? Contact the garage who did the work..

I don't get any of this thread. Why would it suddenly stopping automatically mean timing belt? All the symptoms initially just pointed to a dead battery imo.
maybe the knocking senor,went to save mode and stopped the engine..(if that is there job)

182 ff
they look well dodgy.. where is the stamp and date? has the owner just photocopied an old bill,from the garage, just filled it in ..

BG Clio 182
Yeah I was unsure of the belts on my car, as the invoice had no prices or mileage listed, just the work performed. Ended up getting in contact with the guy that did the work and he is a former Renault mechanic selling Renaultsport's, so he did the job when sold, remembered my car and the car that was taken in P/x. I would get in contact with trading standards maybe about the garage.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172

The belt slipped due to a pulley failure looks like the pully wasn't changed the crank pulley is also very wobble the rubber is knackered and bolt wasn't change this happened at 70mph so its done damage made worse by repeated attempts to start it and an attempt to bump start it,
The guy who sold me it lied the garage claim they never done the work the belt however is new so its a badly done at home.

I paid 800 for the car it was advertised for 1200 but he knocked money off when because of aux belt and and sensor needed done.
Only bought it as a weekend toy but love the wee thing now so don't want to scrap it, I considered just buying another but with all the trouble I had with it after it gets an engine what else can go wrong.

I intend to buy an engine off someone on here so at least it helps support our community and much more trust worthy than off eBay