ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

smoothing a non-sport front bumper?

Hi guys, I'm after advice on how to smooth a front bumper off properly once I remove the plastic inserts.... Looking for a tutorial from someone who has done it.... Any ideas on roughly how much it would cost to be done professionally? (Its a MK2 phase 2 non-sport)

Sorry dude, not worded right, I want a guide so I can do it myself if I have the time. but if I didn't have time I would get it done professionally so want the price just in case....

get a 182 bumper, looks better than smoothed non sport bumper IMO :)

i suppose you'd just need filler to fill in the bit you want to smooth and then sand it down so its smooth, once the shapes sorted, you just paint it.

it all depends on what bits you want smoothed

I honestly don't want a sport front bumper (and wings) mate, I prefer the non-sport bumper smoothed at the front (get rid of the plastic inserts behind and around the number plate)

I honestly don't want a sport front bumper (and wings) mate, I prefer the non-sport bumper smoothed at the front (get rid of the plastic inserts behind and around the number plate)

i'd buy a spare bumper and try to smooth that :)

get some filler out and have a go on the spare, in case you muck up you still have your original bumper!

Doesn't look too bad that kchristmas but its a campus front bumper (mines mk2 phase 2) and I want to keep the renault diamond in rather than having that smoothed off...

Ph2 Meg 225
I don't actually think its bad either, still not sure whether I'd prefer it with a diamond? Not seen one done with diamond or ph2 bumper so will be interesting to see it if you do :) I have Same bumper aswell but that's all I could find haha

Ph2 Meg 225
Doesbt sound bad as a bumper respray would probably be about 150 and then the time for smoothing, would they fill the inserts with fibreglass when plastics have been removed ???

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
fibre glass to fill most of the unwanted space and then filler will be for skimming the surface to make it smooth with hardly any inmperfections lefts.

Was kind of hoping you would look in Raz :) would I do it in thin layers and let each dry individually or just do it in thick layers packing it in as tight as possible? (The fibre glass) and is there any special prep needed to get the fibreglass to stick for good?

Ph2 Meg 225
There's a few bumpers on eBay but probably Abit pricey for what you want it for, have you tried any local scrappies ??? :)

Not yet, I'm gunna be looking once I get some money, I just wanted to know the best way to do it properly so the fibreglass etc stays attached to the bumper and so I can start getting the materials together :)

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
hmmm, now im stuck in two methods, one leaves the bumper trims in, and the other has the out.

with the bumper trims in you would have to layer over them and fill the gaps with loads of fibre glass rammed in. thu building a profile higher than the rest of the bumper.
which then means you'll have to sand it back down until flush.

method two, without bumper trims, means you will have to use some plastic behind the fibre glass to raise the level abit. ( ie, peice of plastic with mulitple fibre layers ontop until flush with the rest of bumper. )

as for application, generally it will stick to anything with the fibreglass resin cement. but using a ruff gritt sand paper on the contacting surfaces before hand will help adhesion. ( sp)

build the layers up bit by bit, to much at once will make it sink. say 2 layers to start, let it harden, ruff that up with sand paper, then add a few more layers. when you are vertually ' level ' with the other apposed surfaces of bumper, use a filler to skimm over and flat down. ( to fill any slight low spots or crevises) once thats done, spray primmer on , and then using a cheap s**t paint dust that over so it looks like splodges and sand again with 1500 til the paint spodges have gone, and finish off with 2000/ 2500 gritt to smooth surface. paint, laquer, 2500 wet flat back, compound back upto a shine and done

Thanks Raz :) perfect as always mate :D only stupid question I have left is with the second method (the one I'll use) what sort of plastic would you recommend in with the fibreglass? Just anything to help fill the gap?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
a sturdy plastic , cut into a few squares and place in the area's which was home to bumper trims. fibre glass thoses down , then build your layers up. the chunky'r the plastic you put in , the less layers you have to build up , BUT to chunky may cauls it to not flex and crack. which you do not want.

shoot us a PM if you need any help with it, when time comes round to tackling it

if someone mentions fibreglass or just filler when smoothing a bumper then walk away, fibreglass is not designed to be used on plastics and will just pull away from the bumper aswell as crack and sink, just filler will crack and sink

the only way to smooth bumpers is by plastic welding and then a thin skim of flexible bumper filler

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Kudos, my old car had fibreglass on the bumper and was fine.

Although spinksy, kudos made a good point. Buy a cheap soldering iron, remove the bump strips, plastic weld plastic to where the bump strips were (to 'fill them in') then fill any remaining gaps with fibreglass and finish it with filler.

Thats what I'd do anyway

Kudos, my old car had fibreglass on the bumper and was fine.

Although spinksy, kudos made a good point. Buy a cheap soldering iron, remove the bump strips, plastic weld plastic to where the bump strips were (to 'fill them in') then fill any remaining gaps with fibreglass and finish it with filler.

Thats what I'd do anyway

might do this tbh, just need a bumper a little money and time... thinking i will fill most of it with the plastic as close to level a possible or a little over (including edges) then sand it back smooth so i use next to no filler :)

PICT0186.jpg

that is exactly how i want it!!!! knew i had seen it somewhere lol, but with my splitter on and my diamond etc, debating whether i would put the plate at the bottom or level in the middle (recess makes it sit a little lower).... i know people will say whats the point in smoothing if i did that but simple answer is i f*cking hate those inserts... lol

[QUOTE/knuckles]That'll be very very tricky lol[/QUOTE]

that it will but it will definitely be sturdy :p and will be easier to sand and paint for me than filler (hate the stuff)

Last edited:
The only problem with it is the plate might spoil the smoothed look. The guy who owned that gold Clio ended up cable tying the number plate to the lower grill bit. Didn't look so good :/

Ph2 Meg 225
If I had to choose where to put the number plate it would either be the original place or at the very very bottom of the bumper but might catch on the road :/ would have to be a 3/4 plate what ever though :)

do not use fibreglass, it is not designed to be used on plastic and will lift/crack/sink