ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

smashed up me 182

cliosport 200

:(Some t**ser in a golf come blastin down my inside on the A1M, couldnt stop in time so he cut in between me and an HGV and slammed his breaks on. I had me cruise cont on, but when i braked it stayed on, yarked the handbrake, spun into the crash barrier and totalled the front end. Sick as f***

cliosport 200

Cheers, just waitin to hear from Renault to see what they say about the cruise control not disengaging.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M

should have got a Mk1.
no cruise.;) :p

seriously though mate, sorry to hear that.
hope your ok.

--chris

ex Clio 172 owner :(

Bad to hear that mate.

There was a news report on 5live radio this week saying how a lot of Laguna drivers have had problems with their cruise control not disengaging and the drivers not being able to stop.

Did the police get involved? I would tell them about how the Golf driver undertook and you didnt see him until it was too late. Pr**k.

Ziel Nurburgring

Sorry to hear that, as already said get onto renault. If they wont foot the bill for the repair, at least get them to pay your excess

Embarrassed to say

Golf t**ser caused the accident, his dangerous driving led to your unsuccessful evasive maneuove...there is a casual link. Report him to the police. I think it is careless inconsiderate driving or something under the road traffic act when a guy drives without due car and attention or without reasonable consideration for other people then hes guilty of an offence. Its also dangerous driving by him.

Fiesta Zetec S (for sale)

Wow, thats a feckin shame dude. Hope you get it sorted out pronto, sounds like the golf driver needs his balls kicked. Definetly report him to the police. What you say about the cruise control will be getting investigated tonight on the way home.

Again, good luck with your claim.

Craig

fat 182

everyone is on about the golf what about the cruise control

this sounds like a very serious problem whats it gonna take to sort it out

some one to die

:mad:

pm jeremy townsend see what he has to say

53 plate 172

never even tried the cruise control, I like to be in contol of the car at all times. Even when the missus is driving :devilish:

Yaris Hybrid

Not had any trouble with my cruise control.

Very strange story.

Also a couple of other questions.

1, why pull the handbrake if the servo assisted all four wheel brakes couldnt slow the car?

2, why not just press the steering wheel button to turn off the cruise rather than take your hand off the wheel to pull the handbrake on?

3, why not just hit the clutch? instant subconscious reaction in an emergency is to hit both pedals?

That news story in the link above is utter b****cks - he pressed the clutch and nothing happened!! Yeah alright mate!

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 17 April 2005

Not had any trouble with my cruise control.

Very strange story.

Also a couple of other questions.

1, why pull the handbrake if the servo assisted all four wheel brakes couldnt slow the car?

2, why not just press the steering wheel button to turn off the cruise rather than take your hand off the wheel to pull the handbrake on?

3, why not just hit the clutch? instant subconscious reaction in an emergency is to hit both pedals?

That news story in the link above is utter b****cks - he pressed the clutch and nothing happened!! Yeah alright mate!
:D, just what i was thinking

Yep, the cruise story doesnt make sense. The clutch is a hard link.

Even if all else failed, using the handbrake is plain dumb, to be frank. On any road, a locked set of rear wheels will ruin your day.

Disco 5 ,Monaro VXR

sorry to hear this mate. i can inderstand why you pulled the handbrake you prob just panicked but as you found out prob the worst thing you could do. at least you are ok though.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

I read about people pulling the handbrake all the time.. never did understand why though ?? surly 4 wheel servo assited breaks is better than 2 (rear) wheel cable breaking?? and the reason you spun out and crashed was because you yanked the handbrake !

Still, it doesnt sound like the accident was caused by any negligence on your part, at the end of the day its just a car.. you will get a new one.

Pikey Truck

There are too many arseholes on normal roads let alone motorways.

Hope youre ok dude...

-=chris=-

dk

911 GTS Cab

I dont get this not being able to stop business because of cruise control, there are so many things to be done, maybe it is a little different with the laguna because of the start button but in a clio you could turn the ignition off, knock the gear lever out of gear, cant believe pressing brake or clutch wouldnt slow down car, that seems hard to believe?

Used to have a Clio

did the golf driver stop after your accident?

you cant ask the guy why he didnt switch it off from the steering wheel? when youre in that situation, its not easy to think right and do the right thing - youll just go for the obvious - in this case, the hand brakes!

sorry to hear about the accident tho...if the accident was really bad, perhaps you get a nice new one for free???

VaVa

Under normal operation, the cruise control will disengage following any action on the clutch or brake. As far as I know the Clio isnt brake-by-wire. Regardless of what the cruise control is trying to do, you stomp the brakes and youll slow down. Trying to apportion any blame to the Cruise control is poppycock. Its just an accident that obviously couldnt be avoided.

255 V6 Black Gold

just from a quick read

all of you saying why did you pull the handbreak, instead of pressing the cruise control....

are you mental???? the guy was in a panic because he was about to smash into back of another car.??

whats he meant to do??? pressed the break? it didnt slow down?? so the instant thing is to pull the handbreak....its easy to pretend you would be different and calm and do the "right" thing, but i find it hard to beleave

as for taking keys out, yeah good idea, then ya brakes wont work at all, and ya stearing lock comes on.

Dip the clutch and hit the anchors = slow down. Theres no argument surely? An accident is an accident, and none of us are perfect, but I personally dont buy the CC excuse - I think its bollox.

For the record, my previous posts in this thread were written when I was half cut, so apologies for the glib tone, but I still dont buy the CC thing.

Nothing to do with the CC thing but I have pulled the handbrake before through panicking. Lights went red, I was going to fast and someone coming accross me had obviously jumped the gun as he was going as ours hit amber. I sh*t myself, anchored up, ABS kicked in and I was still not slowing down enough and ended up giving the handbrake a tug, ended up nice and sideways in the middle of a junction.

Thats what you call a lesson.