ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

M100CUP - RB 182 Sprint and Hillclimb Car

Wow - where does the time go? Apologies for not updating or responding to questions on this thread - the short update is that the car is performing really well and I'm enjoying it.

The big news for me is that I'm now involved in the admin side of the Wiscombe Park hillclimb venue - and that has taken up a lot of my spare time. Early this year I was asked if I would like to get involved and I jumped at the chance. I have always enjoyed my time at Wiscombe Park and I saw this as an opportunity to put something back into the sport.

My role has been to revamp the digital side of Wiscombe Park - looking a new website, refocused Facebook page and setting up online ticket sales for spectators. The revenue from spectators is vital for the track maintenance that is required to retain our Motorsport licence. This revenue is also important for another reason - it keeps competitor's entry fees down at a reasonable level.

We are hosting the British Hillclimb Championship on July 27th and 28th and my attention has been on getting a website up and running and set up online ticket sales ready for that key event - we are currently getting our Facebook presence verified and then we will start advertising the Championship event on Facebook in two weeks time (thinks: why are things never straightforward on Facebook?).

Please have a look at - www.wiscombepark.co.uk and follow us at www.facebook.com/WiscombeParkHillclimb - any comments or suggestions for improvements most welcome - please message me rather than clogging up this thread. Note there is a 'Getting Started' page for newbies at Wiscombe Park on the website - the Flickr link on the website has 1500 hillclimb action photos from Wiscombe :)

Hope to see some of you at Wiscombe Park on July 27th and 28th - M100CUP will be there competing - 20% discount for online ticket sales (shameless plug I know).

Website Screenshot -

Facebook page -

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I think I have completely missed this thread... I am going to have to go back and read from the start.

Great that we have someone involved with Winscombe on this forum - I intend to participate at Winscombe in the future. It is a little while off yet but its a must do for me...

Well, what an excellent weekend at Wiscombe Park for the British Hillclimb Championship!

The sun was shining, record crowds, and lots of new records - including a new outright hill record! I was running in the Downton Engineering class which meant on the Sunday afternoon we were sandwiched between the two final 'shoot out' rounds of the British Hillclimb Championship. What an incredible experience.

The car behaved very well - one minor hiccup that the damned airbag warning light came on during Saturday morning's drive to Wiscombe. It then went off for the whole weekend and came back on during the drive home on Sunday night. This car has real personality :)

Photo by Howie Fowler -

The photo is M100CUP going through the 'Esses' in the bright early morning sunshine - practice started at 8-30 sharp. The Esses is quite a technical section with (as the name suggests) a series of 'S' shaped bends but with the cambers not always as you would expect - if you push too hard in one corner then you end up on the wrong line for the next. I think the secret is to try to get the car to 'flow' through this amazing series of bends with no sharp changes in direction.

My fastest times were on the Sunday with a few rounds in the 47 second area. Until you drive Wiscombe you don't appreciate what a fabulous hill it is - the heritage, the setting, the banter and the superbly set up course - it all makes for a great weekend.

A quick note on tyres: If you have read the whole thread then you know I really rate the Extreme VR2 in soft compound as the best hillclimb tyre .... but I'm disappointed that they have doubled in price since I bought my first set direct from Poland some 3 years ago. The car currently has a set of Interstate Race DNRT (205 x 50 x 15) tyres - I really rate these as budget competition tyres approved by Motorsport UK as List 1B. Very impressed with the levels of grip over the weekend.

I have some good news and some sad news -

Sad news -
I have sold the car :-(

Good news - It's gone to another member of Cliosport.Net who I hope will continue to document the progress of this fabulous little Clio in this thread. On Thursday I will wave goodbye to M100CUP as it goes on to the back of a lorry for the trip up to Scotland - where it will continue to be used in club competitions.

So, my time to sign off - Best wishes to the new owner David - I hope you enjoy the car as much as I have.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
What a journey this thread has taken Graham. Sounds like you had a good send off with the car at an excellent event.

I hope it’s not too much of a shock to the system when M100CUP next competes at Forrestburn on 25th August. I’ll definitely get a thread started and make sure everyone that has followed this thread so far can continue enjoying the updates.

As for the Scottish chapter. It should be a really interesting one. The classes are a little different up here with A2 covering 1400 to 2000cc and the class is dominated by clio’s (there are 1 or 2 Civics as well).

I’m moving out of a fairly standard car that I’ve cut my teeth in my novice year. Starting the year about 5-6 seconds off the pack and now consistently within 1-2 seconds. It will be really interesting to see how much difference the car makes to my times.

My last outing in the old car as capture by @paul-h

77d3c4363b0514b239ffa3158892ab10.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Thomson

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I thought you said I had dibs? ;)

Shame I missed you at Wiscombe yesterday, but it was nice to see the car on the hill. It looked like you were going well.

What's on the shopping list for a replacement?

172, Fiesta S1600
What a journey this thread has taken Graham. Sounds like you had a good send off with the car at an excellent event.

I hope it’s not too much of a shock to the system when M100CUP next competes at Forrestburn on 25th August. I’ll definitely get a thread started and make sure everyone that has followed this thread so far can continue enjoying the updates.

As for the Scottish chapter. It should be a really interesting one. The classes are a little different up here with A2 covering 1400 to 2000cc and the class is dominated by clio’s (there are 1 or 2 Civics as well).

I’m moving out of a fairly standard car that I’ve cut my teeth in my novice year. Starting the year about 5-6 seconds off the pack and now consistently within 1-2 seconds. It will be really interesting to see how much difference the car makes to my times.

My last outing in the old car as capture by @paul-h

View attachment 1428418

Looking forward to seeing this car at Forrestburn and can’t wait to get competing against it there too! It was a tough gig sitting out Kames sprint last weekend so need to get my fix at Forrestburn this month!

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Has the Clio been replace @GrahamV182 or is it going to be?

Thanks, once again, for all your help regarding regulations/tyres/etc I genuinely believe I wouldn't be taking part if it was for people like you who helped me in the early days.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Arrived safely tonight at 7:30. Car is super clean for a hillclimb car and feels very sorted. Had a short drive from my unit where the car was delivered round to my house. Feels very different to my current clio but it a good way.

I’ve got a 1 year old that seems to love cars just now. She had a wee go in the drivers seat.

7fbcf700ec856d43dc08de838db3b345.jpg

0f2033cab8f7843b9a850aa4be1644df.jpg

Now I need to get to some events and gradually decide how I want to develop the car over time. Initially I was thinking about going I bit more extreme with losing weight but I’ll have a few runs in local events as is I think.

I’ll keep you all posted on how any changes are coming along and if I can actually improve my times with a better car in the local hillclimbs and sprints.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Graham, not sure if you have notification settings on when someone replies or likes a post, but you should of had a few recently from me. I have just gone from the start all the way through, really interesting to read and take notes going through the whole thread.

It has confirmed to me that this is the type of motorsport I want to partake in. In the near future I will be relocating to the Bristol area so will be looking at South West events in the future. I need to see where the car will drop into (class wise) but I am not that fussed, just looking forward to getting out and enjoying it.

All the best with being involved at Wiscombe and look forward to seeing what you are replacing the clio with.

It has confirmed to me that this is the type of motorsport I want to partake in. In the near future I will be relocating to the Bristol area so will be looking at South West events in the future. I need to see where the car will drop into (class wise) but I am not that fussed, just looking forward to getting out and enjoying it.

Hi Natoff - PM me if you have any questions about classes, regulations, allowed car modifications etc. The South West is a bit different to the rest of the country (I think).

David: Great photos....... Missing it already :-( Take your time - get used to it before you change anything :)

On the road it seems a bit of a handful - but when its on song (6,000 to 7,000 revs) on a track or hill it seems to be in its element.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Update since my first event last weekend. Unfortunately no in car cottage as new new GoPro failed me. I recorded it in the best quality I could but that meant it’s now unplayable. Any advice before I delete the files would be appreciated. [emoji106]

So we have to settle with some photos. First off it was a cracking weekend for it. Great weather and the usual suspects in the A2 class of clios / fiestas.

73df14c7cdf82dddd7826e3eb84c3d83.jpg
031979bb3ac2b63cfdb1b13595b8134a.jpg
3fe200be8c0c7c840f9b60af91cf1178.jpg
711ad653c7e66a7844159331e7ce03ee.jpg
7f0758d1c7bd769947c7043dca75069e.jpg
ddbd1423cce49d5f532502cd561c2566.jpg

Some of the other clios.

Fellow clio sport forum member Paul hunter in his 172.

beb83c617c90ddbf95ae5c0ca8b5e9b0.jpg

And another regular Russell deans

69a9ad0bdb1ea6a65e38edecc17fba08.jpg

Jim king finished 1st in class on the Saturday.

be01a3e5e4cc5f6f902c678a27858a36.jpg

Only to be outdone by derek rothnie on Sunday when he beat the class record.

1009ecc7eaa55ffdc189a66a374f48c0.jpg

Couple of other mentions for A3 class record which was also broken and the B2 class which is always entertaining seeing two very well prepd 205GTIs competing.

5b3dbfa4bd45f5bef184d321195017c2.jpg
e5bb6b591b0d7a5943e6164e0732515b.jpg
94c2eda772171ae7ec60cd43a020bc3b.jpg

Full results for Sunday here.

08ed7c35e3dcb568bc97dd21265483a6.jpg

If people would like to keep up with my new thread where I’ll prep and modify the car over the next year or so you can find it here.

M100CUP goes hardcore

I’ll pop back here to update on hillclimb and sprints only with some in-car footage next time! That’s if you are all interested??? Feedback welcome!

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Update since my first event last weekend. Unfortunately no in car cottage as new new GoPro failed me. I recorded it in the best quality I could but that meant it’s now unplayable. Any advice before I delete the files would be appreciated. [emoji106]

So we have to settle with some photos. First off it was a cracking weekend for it. Great weather and the usual suspects in the A2 class of clios / fiestas.

73df14c7cdf82dddd7826e3eb84c3d83.jpg
031979bb3ac2b63cfdb1b13595b8134a.jpg
3fe200be8c0c7c840f9b60af91cf1178.jpg
711ad653c7e66a7844159331e7ce03ee.jpg
7f0758d1c7bd769947c7043dca75069e.jpg
ddbd1423cce49d5f532502cd561c2566.jpg

Some of the other clios.

Fellow clio sport forum member Paul hunter in his 172.

beb83c617c90ddbf95ae5c0ca8b5e9b0.jpg

And another regular Russell deans

69a9ad0bdb1ea6a65e38edecc17fba08.jpg

Jim king finished 1st in class on the Saturday.

be01a3e5e4cc5f6f902c678a27858a36.jpg

Only to be outdone by derek rothnie on Sunday when he beat the class record.

1009ecc7eaa55ffdc189a66a374f48c0.jpg

Couple of other mentions for A3 class record which was also broken and the B2 class which is always entertaining seeing two very well prepd 205GTIs competing.

5b3dbfa4bd45f5bef184d321195017c2.jpg
e5bb6b591b0d7a5943e6164e0732515b.jpg
94c2eda772171ae7ec60cd43a020bc3b.jpg

Full results for Sunday here.

08ed7c35e3dcb568bc97dd21265483a6.jpg

If people would like to keep up with my new thread where I’ll prep and modify the car over the next year or so you can find it here.

M100CUP goes hardcore

I’ll pop back here to update on hillclimb and sprints only with some in-car footage next time! That’s if you are all interested??? Feedback welcome!