ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

M100CUP - RB 182 Sprint and Hillclimb Car

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Cup - Inferno
Also I am just trying to work out the best suspension options. I would like AST but they are too expensive. Gaz Golds seem to be the preferred choice, and then there is BC where I can choose spring rates of 10kg Front / 9kg Rear.

Any ideas for the Track/Competition Guys?

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
  1993 micra
I would say those kind of spring rates would suit track racing on slicks where you get the tyres hot, hillclimbing is a little different in suspension set up as the tyres don't get chance to get warm, I would try 7kg front & 8kg rear, if running a 1b tyre

BUT you may not be able to run rear coilovers depending which class you enter as some regs state the spring has to remain in it's original position

GrahamV182

ClioSport Club Member
No interior puts you into "Modified Production" category - which means a lot more regulations to worry about. e.g. MSA Roll cage, HANS device, etc

Can't you show horn a back seat and some interior trim into the car?

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Cup - Inferno
Hmmmmm. That may be a feat. What is the minimum I could get away with? All 4 door cards (cut and modified due to door bars) and a rear seat?

[email protected]

ClioSport Trader
  BMW E30 M3
With cold tyres and spring rates like you mentioned, you are going to generate understeer. I would go softer all round and make the rear spring stiffer than the front. Although we list the Clio as true coiler rear, you can remove the coilover spring and platform and run a lowering spring. However they won't be near the rate you have mentioned above.

OsEtz40.jpg

GrahamV182

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmmmm. That may be a feat. What is the minimum I could get away with? All 4 door cards (cut and modified due to door bars) and a rear seat?
Minimum of 4 door cards, rear seat, dash board, seats trimmed (i.e. not bare fibreglass), Tax, MOT required. You can remove the interior carpets and there is some flexibility on trim etc (e.g. as my rear seat is unusable I don't have rear seat belts fitted). Sadly the standards of scrutineering and eligibility do vary across the country - in the south west we seem to be pretty relaxed (as long as the car is safe!!).

To save weight I have removed some of the invisible plastic trim and sound proofing in the boot - passed scrutineering OK.

Is your battery still under the bonnet? If you have a lead acid battery in the car then you will need a battery box.

Also note that this type of harness (3 point below) is a complete no-no for any competition...… even 'road going' classes.

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Cup - Inferno
I have a MSA full cage with door bars and roof cross.
Battery moved inside the cabin behind the passenger seat so no lead acid
Fully stripped of all plastics but standard dash
6 point harnesses
Lightweight door cards

So I need to look at a suspension that I can Hillclimb and adjust for circuits too. Any ideas. If I stay in Mod Prod, can I run coilovers?

Attachments

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Graham.

I’m about to compete in my first season this year. Got my MSUK non race B licence and signed up for the SSHC up here in Scotland.

Preparing the car for class A2 same as you run in.

Ordering up stickers for the first event. What do you need to do? Display your run number on each side? Ignition off sticker? I remember reading about having to put yellow tape around the battery earth cable but can’t find it in the 2019 yearbook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrahamV182

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Graham.

I’m about to compete in my first season this year. Got my MSUK non race B licence and signed up for the SSHC up here in Scotland.

Preparing the car for class A2 same as you run in.

Ordering up stickers for the first event. What do you need to do? Display your run number on each side? Ignition off sticker? I remember reading about having to put yellow tape around the battery earth cable but can’t find it in the 2019 yearbook.

Yes.... run number on each side is the usual requirement. Some venues (such as Loton Park) also require a number on the bonnet as well.... check the event regulations to see if a bonnet number is required - if it doesn't say anything in the regs then assume you don't.

Yes .... ignition off sticker required. Demon Tweeks sell a sticker pack that includes various ignition stickers if you don't fancy making one.

Yes... yellow tape around the battery earth cable. I haven't looked in the 2019 Motorsport UK Book but I bet it's in there somewhere

Don't forget to take proof of tax and MOT with you .... just in case you get asked.

Good luck .... let us know how you get on.

Rotoryboy

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Cup - Inferno
Hi Simon

Interested in the AST options if you want to PM me. I originally got a quote from Josh so I am aware of the 5100 costs o_O

Do you do really cheap offers if I put your name on the car :p:cool:

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  FiST3 and172 Cup
@David Stuart Dont forget to mark tow points, fit front tow eye and your timing strut, which you can make to fit the tow eye and just cable tie it on and carry some side cutters in case you need to be towed.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
@David Stuart Dont forget to mark tow points, fit front tow eye and your timing strut, which you can make to fit the tow eye and just cable tie it on and carry some side cutters in case you need to be towed.
Thanks. I’m going to make a timing strut. Shouldn’t be an issue.

As for tow points. I noticed the refs say they shout be clearly marked. Fine for the front. What do people do for the rear on a phase 2 182.

GrahamV182

ClioSport Club Member
As for tow points. I noticed the refs say they shout be clearly marked. Fine for the front. What do people do for the rear on a phase 2 182.

The South West scrutineers have been pretty relaxed on this for "road going production" ... I haven't had a rear tow point marked on the Clio (3 years now) and just a screw in tow hook on the front without a mark or label. They might be stricter on Mod Prod ?

paul-h

ClioSport Club Member
  172, Hyundai i30N
Great thread!

Definitely come to Doune, great hill at which I've competed once in 2017? and commentated at twice last year!

I plan to be using my 172 this year in class A2 also!

Hope to see you all soon!

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Great thread!

Definitely come to Doune, great hill at which I've competed once in 2017? and commentated at twice last year!

I plan to be using my 172 this year in class A2 also!

Hope to see you all soon!
Are you going to Kames or forrestburn this year Paul? Should see you at doune as well later in the year.