ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slooooow broadband

BT are shite.

We've been having slow broadband speed for a few months now, thought it would improve when we upgraded to 7mb last week (for less money than they were charging for 2mb) but no change. I ran a test on speedtester.bt.com and the best try test or whatever came out as it should, around 7mb but the average test thing came out at half a mb. This surely isn't right?
It's impossible to watch bbc iplayer (amongst other things :rasp:) and downloading anything takes days.

I have tried 2 different bt homehubs, and old bt router and a 3com router, all with the same result.

Any ideas at all? Could BT have capped my connection? Am I expecting too much?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Have you downloaded a sh*t load of stuff in the last month or so? If so, they may have capped your line. Also, if anyone else on your street is using BT and downloading excessive amounts, then you may suffer too. This is what AOL told me when I enquired about my slow speeds, as they send the signals to the area, and not just a specific house. Bit weird. My speeds can reach 600KB/s, but the last few days its been 30KB/s which is utter f*cking sh*t, especially when trying to download files.

So annoying, and very little you can do about it as phoning and complaining only pushes them to say its not their end, and it could be the firewall, virus software or something else on your end. Bah. No solution :(

Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
he's just moved last week he said, give it ten days.... like they tell you and it will settle. But you will stillget slower speeds at peak times and like mentioned if you go over say 50 gigs i na month they will cap you completely for a whole month, go crazy again and you will more than likely be capped for a lot longer. But like i say give it 10 days, which is their settling period to establish your lines best performance, mine was fine after this.

Have you downloaded a sh*t load of stuff in the last month or so? If so, they may have capped your line. Also, if anyone else on your street is using BT and downloading excessive amounts, then you may suffer too. This is what AOL told me when I enquired about my slow speeds, as they send the signals to the area, and not just a specific house. Bit weird. My speeds can reach 600KB/s, but the last few days its been 30KB/s which is utter f*cking sh*t, especially when trying to download files.

So annoying, and very little you can do about it as phoning and complaining only pushes them to say its not their end, and it could be the firewall, virus software or something else on your end. Bah. No solution :(

I hardly used to download anything at all, I must have downloaded 2gb worth of stuff in the 2 years we've had the connection but for the last few months it's been impossible to realistically download anything at all. We do play xbox live which may have something to do with it although the speeds are exactly the same when it is on and off?

he's just moved last week he said, give it ten days.... like they tell you and it will settle. But you will stillget slower speeds at peak times and like mentioned if you go over say 50 gigs i na month they will cap you completely for a whole month, go crazy again and you will more than likely be capped for a lot longer. But like i say give it 10 days, which is their settling period to establish your lines best performance, mine was fine after this.
Thanks, I'll sit it out and see what happens, I'll keep running speed tests as well to see if there's any improvement. Might keep a log for next time I have to ring "Dave" at BT. :p

Just got

1. Best Effort Test:
help.jpg
-provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5309 kbps
2. Assured Rate Test:
help.jpg
-provides background information.
Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 533 kbps

So as I see it I'm getting a constant speed of 533kbps which is complete bullshit but when I rang bt the speedteser site wasn't working and I could only find a site that did the best effort test. I see that as the same principal as ratings on speakers, like when they say Peak power is 1000000000watts but the RMS is about 50watts.

Last edited:
  Golf gti ed30+bmw m3
lol mate no those speeds are fine,

2. Assured Rate Test: -provides background information.
Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 500 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 533 kbps

^^^^this part is in relation to bt vision, its to assure vod content does not consume the whole line.

this is your speedtest results:

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5309 kbps

your getting a throughput of 5309 kbps,

which is actually fine :)

Ahhh okay thanks, that's what had me confused. Still doesn't explain the slow download speeds etc. I'll see how it goes over the new year.
Cheers again everyone! :D