ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slight Tapping noise *Video Included*

th_noise.gif

Its not that loud really, car still performs as normal :) Can just hear it tapping, seems to follow the revs as well.

Any ideas?

340i
Sounded like mine was a few weeks ago...

Check the torque settings on your spark plugs, no.3 had come slightly loose on mine!?

R34 GT-R & 172 Cup
Listen down near the drivers side wheel if you can hear it then its the canister thingy mi jobby nothing to worry about. Some threads on it.

Thought it was the lifters at first, on closer inspection this morning from NW performance, it sounds like a leak (Video doesnt really show it properly).

Also have oil leaking down the back of the engine as well, so rocker cover needs resealing anyway.

clio 182
Thought it was the lifters at first, on closer inspection this morning from NW performance, it sounds like a leak (Video doesnt really show it properly).

Also have oil leaking down the back of the engine as well, so rocker cover needs resealing anyway.

My 182 also has started making a tapping noise, been told de phaser which i changed but its still doing it, can you post the cause once you know as i have also been told lifters but its a big job to change and ££££'s so any ideas would really help.

53 Clio's & counting
Was gonna say i wouldnt worry too much, iv seen plenty that sound worse lol

But if there is a leak then get that sorted first, to me it does sound a little 'tappy' but i would have thought it would sound a bit noisey with the bodies on, and no inlet mani to deaden the noise?

Black Clio GT
jamies zs sounded abit like that that turned into a knocking and ended up with a snapped cam i think.....

i recon its either a blowing manifold or lifters.......

Coupe/Defender V8
Can't hear it but its probably nothing. Mine got real tappy just before it blew out the shitty plug in #3 (and an oil change did help to begin with) As Hutchie said mate don't worry too much and get building something better. Tis the way forward

TrackCar & F30 330d
Ben mine makes the excact same noise. I was tolds its the lifters. And i also have a slight leak out the back of the engine.

I'l be changing my oil soon so hopefull it helps it a bit. I still have the same performance as allways.

Cars getting Rolling Roaded on the 8th of May so we'll see if its still producing 200.0 bhp :)

Black Clio GT
yeah i recon its the mani gasket has gone/manifold has warped or cracked, if the ticking is the same on cold/warm then less chance of it being lifters.
for the sake of another 30-40 quid i would put a new set of quality plugs in there too.
but hopfully a nice cheap fix for you either way.......

Last edited:
  BG 182
Mines EXACTLY the Same. Had Cam Belt, Full Kit and Dephaser 14 Months ago, Dephaser replaced again in December. Phoned Renault UK Today as its 2 months out of Warranty ( Thats including the Dephaser thats only 4 Months old!). They have booked it into Renault next week we'll see then....

Might get some new plugs as well. It's just not loud enough to be anything bad I don't think. Unless it's an early stage. Even the mrs said "it's still fast" Lol!

Think I'm gona buy a second engine, and build a forge unti anyway :)

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Get him to inspect the cam lobes aswell while he is at it. Mine had a crack in which was causing a tapping noise.

Renaultsport Clio 172
Looks normal to me, mine sounds the same, I would vote got tired lifters, the noise while accelerating here like the itb's, no?