ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Slight exhaust blowing at idle.

Renault Clio Sport 182
Ive just bought a clio 182 which is only 2 n half years old and still under warranty.
Is it normal to have slight exhaust blowing while at idle? It doesnt do it when the car is warming up though? I asked a mechanic at renault and he said its normal. Is this true?
Thanks

Last edited:
  fiesta zetec s mk5 / 182
blowing from where? Dnt thnk any exhaust on any car blowing is gud and i fit em for a living.

Renault Clio Sport 182
I dont know if you could really call it blowing it sort of splutters a bit at idle. Doesnt do it when you rev it though. The mechanic said its normal because its such a high pressured engine. My gf's dads 3.2 vectra ticks over smoother than my car. Do u reckon i should take it back to them?
cheers

172 A Cupwork Orange™
Sounds normal to me, my cup splutters kinda a sound like put put put sound if you get me lol

Cro

Meg'd r27
Mine will splutter out the back all day long mate, not so bad since the decat was fitted. Not a bad splutter but im pretty sure its normal, definately not the smoothest of idling engines ive seen!

Edit ^^ lol absolutely great onomatopea (spl) there Vern!! :)

Renault Clio Sport 182
I know exactly what you mean by "put put put" lol.
Ill leave it for now then.
Just out of interest.
Do any of you guys get a slight vibrating sound from under the car between 2500 - 3000 revs?
thanks

172 A Cupwork Orange™
Mine will splutter out the back all day long mate, not so bad since the decat was fitted. Not a bad splutter but im pretty sure its normal, definately not the smoothest of idling engines ive seen!

Edit ^^ lol absolutely great onomatopea (spl) there Vern!! :)

lol i know exactly what he means but its hard to describe a sound like that all i could think of was put put put :rasp:

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
The gases should only be coming out of the end of the exhaust pipe. If it's coming out somewhere else then it's a leak. High pressure engine my ar*e!

They typically leak at the junction between the cat and the cat back section. The gap can be sealed with flange sealant - Loctite do it and it stands temps up to 350 degrees.

Fabia vrs tdi
just noticed my new exhaust is ( put puting ) as you put it but its only doing it from the right pipe not that left but this seems normal, was starting to worry

172 ff
yeh its fine mate. i spent ages and money trying to sort it its judt the way they are. a guy moved in next door and he has got a 182 and that ticks ova like s**t same as my 172 just live with mate