ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sir_Dave's Trophy. 1 x Miley Shed.

Evo 5 RS
Re: 'Sir_Dave's Caged, Cleaned & Toyed-with Shed Trophy Paedo Wagon

Love a good Caterham..tis only 5 minutes from here too ;)

Proper Trophy.. liking the new feet. lol

LY Megane R26 230

Ive just spend the last hour and a half reading the whole thraed and all see is fail!!

FML thats another 90 mins wasted :( ;)

TrackCar & F30 330d

The rusty bits on the wheels is a familar sight to me! Dave have you seen the brakes sparking at night? The sparks jump up near the wing mirror sometimes :evil:

53 Clio's & counting

Whats the miles now Dave? Looking great

Lotus Elise

Looking great Dave. I must say I am rather jealous of your brakes :eek: and complete disregard for the thing.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

The rusty bits on the wheels is a familar sight to me! Dave have you seen the brakes sparking at night? The sparks jump up near the wing mirror sometimes :evil:

Ha ha, ummm, i'd be lying if i said that i didnt stop the car the other night as i thought it was on fire :eek:

Whats the miles now Dave? Looking great

Just under 176k :D Doing Bedford in it on Saturday as well, so hopefully it wont break down this time lol.

Looking great Dave. I must say I am rather jealous of your brakes :eek: and complete disregard for the thing.

Brakes are flipping awesome!! Although the way they rattle around in the calipers when cold is a little annoying ... bit of left foot braking on the motorway at 80 soon warms them up though ;)

The disregard is only towards cleanliness though, it gets serviced more often than my girlfriend does.

Currently pondering what to do with it next really, without going to the next stage, ie itb's or RS2, its pretty much there really. No point in 4 pots i dont think, especially with these CL pads in.

53 Clio's & counting

I always found the standard sized discs and calipers hold up very well :)

Do you feel like it warrants the extra power mate? Bearing in mind it will be at least £1500 odd to get anything decent out of it?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

Do you feel like it warrants the extra power mate? Bearing in mind it will be at least £1500 odd to get anything decent out of it?

Not sure it does tbh, have been driving quite a few e46 M3's as of late, & honestly? The clio feels quicker. Its obviously not, but the M is so smooth & quiet, you have to be doing some seriously licence loosing speeds in order for it to feel rapid.

In all seriousness, ive been questioning whether i actually want one :dapprove:

I can have fun in the clio at 60, & do 35mpg. The M3? 120mph, & 17.5mpg.

53 Clio's & counting

Not sure it does tbh, have been driving quite a few e46 M3's as of late, & honestly? The clio feels quicker. Its obviously not, but the M is so smooth & quiet, you have to be doing some seriously licence loosing speeds in order for it to feel rapid.

In all seriousness, ive been questioning whether i actually want one :dapprove:

I can have fun in the clio at 60, & do 35mpg. The M3? 120mph, & 17.5mpg.

M3's are great (as you know) but hence why iv got another Ph1, is bang for £ cheap cars are great :D lol. - You need to decide if what the M3 gives over the Clio is worth the extra money buying, running and modifying - id say it probably isn't.

I need a little catch up, what engine modifications have you done on it so far dude?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

M3's are great (as you know) but hence why iv got another Ph1, is bang for £ cheap cars are great :D lol. - You need to decide if what the M3 gives over the Clio is worth the extra money buying, running and modifying - id say it probably isn't.

I need a little catch up, what engine modifications have you done on it so far dude?

Well yes, exactly. Buying an M3 would effectively mean selling the derv & having to mothball the Clio, ie stick it in the barn back home in Cornwall (in order to afford 25k miles of M3 fuel lol). Which im not sure i want to do tbh.

Engine wise, clio is still fairly basic:

V6 airbox inc. Pipercross filter
'RS' Inlets
JMS remap
PMS Aircon delete
BTB Exhaust

Still got the cat in it, as exhaust is rather noisy as it is :eek:

53 Clio's & counting

Pretty much as far as you can go sensibly before spending out big bucks then - good overal setup me thinks :)

You could have the inlets taken out a bit if they are standard RS ones and net a few more bhp - Id leave the cat in as there is no point having to worry about noise regs at track days - thats why my old itb'd one had the cat still in - it should have een north of 200bhp with the cat gone, but wouldn't have got on any tracks with a decat and yozza lol.

I think a year of running an M3 you would be selling and fed up of the 25odd mpg you would be getting - thats a lot of money over 25k!

Idde-pin the dampers and have a bit more of a tinker :)

Then if you decided you need more, either get a diff in the box and get some throttle bodies, or sell and buy something like I did - Elise/caterham ish which is more suited to track work out the box :)

What camber, toe and caster settings do you run on the T dave. I had read over on CT that you ran 2.0degrees camber. Is that mainly for track?

Looking to get mine done on a Hunters system when the dampers are done, So trying to figure out what setup I want. 1.3 is standard, correct?

Lotus Elise

The hunter machine will have you OEM settings already plumbed into to.

I run -2.5 degrees of camber and 10 degrees of toe out. Awesome handling on track and B roads but the downside is more tyre wear.

I heard though you can specify what you want them to change the settings too, Doesn't have to be the OEM requirements?

Will the eibach camber bolts be able to do 2.0 degrees of neg camber?

Lotus Elise

You can specify anything you want Jon.G. Dave and I both run with Eibach camber bolts and they will be able to give you -2.0 degrees of front camber, the best place to buy them is Kam racing or Demon Tweaks.

Yep, Ill be getting them from Demon Tweaks as they are the cheapest.

Cheers

E46 M3

The hunter machine will have you OEM settings already plumbed into to.

I run -2.5 degrees of camber and 10 degrees of toe out. Awesome handling on track and B roads but the downside is more tyre wear.

Do you really mean that? :rasp:

Lotus Elise

flol minutes oppps. Ten degrees would be fun though.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

What camber, toe and caster settings do you run on the T dave. I had read over on CT that you ran 2.0degrees camber. Is that mainly for track?

Front Camber = -2.8 degrees
Front Toe = 1 degree out
Rear Camber = -1.8 degrees (no shims, just broken)

Handles like a go cart!!

Tyres will wear more but as i only use the car for fun, im not too bothered really - they're only £40 a corner anyway. Drives perfectly fine, no weird tramlining, etc.

I'd suggest that a decent road setup (to limit tyre wear) would be -2.0 degrees on the front.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

THIS CAR IS EPIC TO DRIVE, ACTUALLY AWESOME WIKID EPIC! :)

That is all ;)

Why thank you Nick :star:

To all those that are reading, Ollie, Nick, Sarah & i attended a trackday at Bedford on Saturday. Seeing as Nick was spending quite a bit of time driving Ollie's car, we thought it worthwhile for him to drive both back to back to see how they compared, the results were quite interesting ...

Essentially, Ollie's car was apparently more stable overall, & quicker through the slower speed/tighter corners, whereas mine was a wee bit more edgy/rolly/tail happy & quicker through the faster stuff. Clearly my additional front camber is losing me grip in the slower stuff, but combined with the rear ARB, im getting more front grip/rear adjustability through the quicker stuff.

Speed wise, Ollie's pulled better from low down, but tailed off after 5.5k, whereas mine was a bit flat, then felt like it really pulled hard from 5k to the red line. Mods wise, we both have a JMS remap & V6 airbox/Pipercorss filter, but Ollie's benefits from matched inlets & a de-cat as well, which imho suggests that mine is still a little strangled, giving the impression that it really comes on song from 5k (5k kick, etc). With Ollie's inlets & de-cat allowing the car to breath better from low-down & smoothing out the power delivery.

FYI, tyres & brakes are the same, ie R888's @ 28psi hot, with CL pads, Brembo HC's & braided lines. In addition, both cars run Bimarco Futuras's, with similar levels of rear strippage, ie just the rear seats/parcel shelf.

Now for me, i find it really interesting how slightly different approaches to suspension/engine breathing setups make such a massive difference to the feel/drive of what is effectively, the same car. Two sides of the same coin so to speak.

For me, this really proves what i always say about cars really, modify to the spec that you want, for the way you drive, dont just copy what everyone else says!!! Especially for on the limit track stuff, where one man's perfect setup could be completely different to anothers ...

IMG_0786.jpg

IMG_0787.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

And finally :eek:
IMG_0789.jpg

LY Megane R26 230

Meh, cheeky sod ;)

You should stick a project up Ash, surely wont be long before you start bolting Rotrex's to the Cup no?

Funny you should say that,ive been collecting quite a few bits over the last 3 weeks ready to give the Cup a new lease of live,hoping to make a start this week on it wile im off :)

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Flol @ the mileage! Actually love it!

Have Trophy.net banned you yet? When are you painting it Blue...

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader

lol, i noticed that thread on here last night!! Mines currently the colour of brake dust, rubber & faded pink.

Trophy.net dont like me, but i think they allow me to post to see what daft suggestions ill come with next. The other day i even mentioned perhaps driving the Trophy on a daily basis.

I could sense that virtually, whilst stroking a picture of their pink clio, they were looking at me a bit funny from behind the monitor.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member

Daily! Are you mad, man! Blasphemy!

The way you treat it you would think it was just a normal clio will decent supsension and poor bucket seats... :eek:

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member

For me, this really proves what i always say about cars really, modify to the spec that you want, for the way you drive, dont just copy what everyone else says!!! Especially for on the limit track stuff, where one man's perfect setup could be completely different to anothers ...
[/IMG]

Well said. So many people throw money at a car when they want to go on a 1st track day, changing stuff they don't even know will improve the car for them.

I still like you on cliotrophy ;) car looks very shinney there

182cup & 172 racecar

Hope you had fun,shame I couldn't make it.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things

For me, this really proves what i always say about cars really, modify to the spec that you want, for the way you drive, dont just copy what everyone else says!!!

Just buy a trophy and save yourself wasting your money on coilovers.

I've gone completely back to standard with mine and do what I know best, aim for a full trophy set up. At the moment I'm running whiteline ARB, Eibach sportlines, trophy rear dampers and standard fronts, on the look out for some cheap sachs for the front then the aim for ultimate road clio will be complete, sachs + no abs = :D

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
The comparison between the two was very interesting I must say.
Mine definitely would benefit from having some additional track width and more camber.
Dave and I both prefer a direct front end which both cars have, mine getting better the more i dial the rear shocks up, i had the rear fully firm and had dropped the front pressures mid afternoon so it was in a sweet spot, only Daves is so goddamn loose on the rear ALL THE TIME that the effect at the front is exaggerated somewhat.
The Trophy still pulls like a train even after all those miles in. Mine being 100k behind is still being run in...;)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172

Ollie what suspension do you run? as I run the Konis on mine with whiteline arb and also find the back end can be very loose like Daves (which I quite like)

Maybe it's the konis that make it that much more "playful"?

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Ollie what suspension do you run? as I run the Konis on mine with whiteline arb and also find the back end can be very loose like Daves (which I quite like)

Maybe it's the konis that make it that much more "playful"?

I run the FK Konigsports on mine. I haven't bothered with an ARB as, for me, I don't really see an obvious benefit.
If it was my sole means of getting around a track then I'd have gone a bit further with it but obviously it isn't!

That said, for a basic track setup it's very good and as Dave has said, you don't have to throw a pile of money at a track car just because its the commonly done thing.
I'd highly recommend the CL RC6 pads though. Stunning stopping power.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep

Interesting comparison, is the Cup fractionally lighter not having the tar etc?

Are the RC6 as bad for brake dust as made out? I'm having DS2500 fitted at the weekend but might get some RC6 to try on trackdays.