ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sim Rigs - Let’s see yours

182 FF Inferno
Too invested in Thrustmaster now, got 3 Thrustmaster wheels. Been waiting for the T818 to become console ready but it's taking a long time! Thinking about upgrading to a TGT 2 in the meantime but not sure if it's much of a jump from a T300.

Also, from reading round online, best upgrade you can make is load cell pedals do maybe I should get some T-LCM pedals.

Clio
Well that's purchased. Added in the desk mount so I can have a play around before I decide on the rig.
1693305341558.png

As an added bonus I've just realised that all those prices are in Euros so it hasn't even cost me that much.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
You'll have the UK's 20% VAT added on by UPS that you'll have to pay before they'll deliver. The 20% VAT removed when you add the items to your basket so you pay Fanatec less. Its added on at the shipping stage.

Thank Brexit.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Following some expert advice from strangers on the Internet I'm going with this to start with. Wil order first thing Tuesday when I get paid.

View attachment 1657782

Last question...... will it just fit on to pretty much any rig I buy without some specific mount I need to buy?
The additional CSL load cell pedal is a must, even if you're just semi-serious about racing. I wish I'd ordered mine with my original Fanatec order tbh, and not left it until a few months later. Straight out of the box, I chipped half-a-second off my best lap time around Brands Hatch GP in ACC once I had the load-cell pedal. It really does make that much of a diifference.

Be warned though - that pedal does need a decent amount of shove to start slowing you down - so unless you have a frame to attach it to, or a wall to butt up against, you'll be chasing your pedal box around the carpet.

Personally, I think the 8Nm upgrade isn't worth it over the standard 5Nm. It's only changing the power-supply anyway that provides additional power. In my mind - more power = more heat + more stress on the original item rated at 5Nm.

Fanatec tend to be tight arses on things like bolts and screws too. Iirc, I got a multipack of M6 bolts, nuts and washers to help attach them to my GT Track frame.

Clio
The additional CSL load cell pedal is a must, even if you're just semi-serious about racing. I wish I'd ordered mine with my original Fanatec order tbh, and not left it until a few months later. Straight out of the box, I chipped half-a-second off my best lap time around Brands Hatch GP in ACC once I had the load-cell pedal. It really does make that much of a diifference.

Be warned though - that pedal does need a decent amount of shove to start slowing you down - so unless you have a frame to attach it to, or a wall to butt up against, you'll be chasing your pedal box around the carpet.

Personally, I think the 8Nm upgrade isn't worth it over the standard 5Nm. It's only changing the power-supply anyway that provides additional power. In my mind - more power = more heat + more stress on the original item rated at 5Nm.

Fanatec tend to be tight arses on things like bolts and screws too. Iirc, I got a multipack of M6 bolts, nuts and washers to help attach them to my GT Track frame.
Thank you, I did look at the load cell pedal, think it was 139 euros if I bought it now or 179 on its own and watching the reviews and the force needed I'll probably use what I got until I decide on my rig.

Started looking at something like this... (can roll it behind the sofa before she gets home from work. She'll never notice) rather than a folding one.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you, I did look at the load cell pedal, think it was 139 euros if I bought it now or 179 on its own and watching the reviews and the force needed I'll probably use what I got until I decide on my rig.

Started looking at something like this... (can roll it behind the sofa before she gets home from work. She'll never notice) rather than a folding one.
No worries - give me a shout if you have any more questions on it.

That NLR GT Track frame is exactly the same one that I have - except mine came with the seat too. The seat (although comfy for me) has been a bone of contention for many users - some citing poor quality and lack of robustness. A number of people physically fit a seat from a car to the frame, which I can see the benefit of.

Personally, I've had no issues with the seat. I am a bit fussy with such things though and normally give it a once over with leather cleaner every three months or so. Maybe keeping the coating supple helps with the daily wear & tear?

Word of warning with the load-cell pedal, as and when you come to use it. The pedals and, optional shifter and handbrake - all connect to the DD hub via RJ12 connections. Apparently, there's more granular control in the settings over RJ12 than USB. However, RJ12 doesn't provide enough juice to update the firmware on the load-cell pedal, meaning you have to use the optional USB lead. That's fine - but make sure the RJ12 cable is disconnected from the DD hub or else you can cause irreversible damage to the load cell unit.

Clio
No worries - give me a shout if you have any more questions on it.

That NLR GT Track frame is exactly the same one that I have - except mine came with the seat too. The seat (although comfy for me) has been a bone of contention for many users - some citing poor quality and lack of robustness. A number of people physically fit a seat from a car to the frame, which I can see the benefit of.

Personally, I've had no issues with the seat. I am a bit fussy with such things though and normally give it a once over with leather cleaner every three months or so. Maybe keeping the coating supple helps with the daily wear & tear?

Word of warning with the load-cell pedal, as and when you come to use it. The pedals and, optional shifter and handbrake - all connect to the DD hub via RJ12 connections. Apparently, there's more granular control in the settings over RJ12 than USB. However, RJ12 doesn't provide enough juice to update the firmware on the load-cell pedal, meaning you have to use the optional USB lead. That's fine - but make sure the RJ12 cable is disconnected from the DD hub or else you can cause irreversible damage to the load cell unit.
Plenty of questions......

First I know nothing of the technical side, the last paragraph means nothing to me. I'm probably only going to play Forza Horizon to start and but that Assetto game and rock it on my Series S. Outside that I have no idea.

Questions about the rig though, if I buy without the seat, what options am I limited to with the seat? Can buy myself something aftermarket for a car and just bolt it on or am I needing to buy sim specific?

Honestly I know nothing and really appreciate all the help I can get.

Didn't even think about when this will turn up? Am I talking a week or a month or longer? Should I have even bought the desk clamp as I'll buy a rig next pay day. Just winging it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Plenty of questions......

First I know nothing of the technical side, the last paragraph means nothing to me. I'm probably only going to play Forza Horizon to start and but that Assetto game and rock it on my Series S. Outside that I have no idea.

Questions about the rig though, if I buy without the seat, what options am I limited to with the seat? Can buy myself something aftermarket for a car and just bolt it on or am I needing to buy sim specific?

Honestly I know nothing and really appreciate all the help I can get.

Didn't even think about when this will turn up? Am I talking a week or a month or longer? Should I have even bought the desk clamp as I'll buy a rig next pay day. Just winging it.
That's fine - happy to try and help!

So, on the rear of the DD steering wheel hub, there is provision for multiple peripherals to be connected into the rear of it - such as pedals, shifters, handbrakes, etc. The theory being that with the number of USB ports on PCs (and especially consoles) being limited - that it's better to bunch them altogether into one 'hub' and then have that make a singular connection to the PC or console itself.

1693388284574.png

The cables used to connect to the DD hub are RJ12 - but these are only good enough to transmit and receive signals at very low voltages. If the peripheral needs a firmware update, RJ12 isn't sufflcient to do that. So, the only other option to update it is via USB and plug that straight into the PC or console. The key thing here is that you shouldn't connect the peripherals with both the RJ12 and USB cables at the same time or there is the potential of stuff going bang.

Simply put - plug everything into the DD hub as seen in the picture above and have that hub being connected to the PC or console via a single USB lead. Nothing will go wrong that way.

I'll admit, as I bought the seat with the frame, I don't actually know what options are 'easy fits' from real life cars. I've seen many options done online - but some of these tend to come down to the ability of the owner. Some are fabricators in their day job and think nothing of welding up some mounting plates and/or brackets. It can certainly be done - but it's just a question of how easy that is and what your patience level is like.

This is the default seat that comes with the frame. Plenty comfy enough for me at 6' 1" when pushed almost fully back. Please ignore the state of the NLR runner mat underneath - the cat loves sitting on it and it's a pain to hoover! :p

1693388848723.png

In terms of delivery - the Fanatec kit took around two weeks from order to turn up. As @N0ddie mentioned earlier - you'll have an additional tax to pay (usually to UPS) before it will be delivered.

The NLR frame was much quicker - around 3 days when I ordered it from Scan. It comes on a pallet and is fooking heavy - be prepared to open the outer packaging at your door and to break it down. When in situ, the frame is approximately 135cm long by 55cm wide - to give you some idea of size. If you need the Fanatec pedal base to go further back, expect to increase the overall length by a further 15cm or so. My room is narrow but fairly long - which makes the placement of the frame perfect at the far end, next to the window.

Putting the frame together is very easy - the knack being to loosely attach the bolts before confirming where everything needs to be set to and just taking your time. For example - the seat frame will not slot between the main frame rails if you have tightened up the frame bolts beforehand. Not a chance. They need the slack and give for it to shimmy into place. I've never fitted the roller wheels that come with the frame kit to mine either.

I currently have the old ClubSport for XBox wheel on mine at the minute - but the default CSL wheel that comes with the Fanatec bundle is a very nice wheel to use as well. More so as it has an integrated shift up light at the 12 o'clock position at the top.

1693389741258.png

1693389776096.png

It seems a lot of expense, a lot of messing about and a bit of frivalous purchase to be honest. I even questioned why I'd bought it when we moved in and kind of regretted it a little as I hardly ever went on it with my previous Logitech wheel and pedals.

When I pulled the trigger on the Fanatec DD stuff - it was a game changer, literally. It makes the driving feel better and more enjoyable overall. And aside from Forza if you're using an XBox - I cannot recommend buying Assetto Corsa Competizione (ACC) highly enough. It's very difficult, quite unforgiving and very limited in scope - just GT3 and GT4 cars. But as a driving simulator, it's superb and is very rewarding when you get a decent lap in - or outbreak another car into a corner.

If and when you get the frame and you're sat quite low to the screen - try removing the drivers arms and steering wheel from the display. I find it a lot more immersive with my actual wheel being the only steering device in front of me.

Clio
That's fine - happy to try and help!

So, on the rear of the DD steering wheel hub, there is provision for multiple peripherals to be connected into the rear of it - such as pedals, shifters, handbrakes, etc. The theory being that with the number of USB ports on PCs (and especially consoles) being limited - that it's better to bunch them altogether into one 'hub' and then have that make a singular connection to the PC or console itself.

View attachment 1658698

The cables used to connect to the DD hub are RJ12 - but these are only good enough to transmit and receive signals at very low voltages. If the peripheral needs a firmware update, RJ12 isn't sufflcient to do that. So, the only other option to update it is via USB and plug that straight into the PC or console. The key thing here is that you shouldn't connect the peripherals with both the RJ12 and USB cables at the same time or there is the potential of stuff going bang.

Simply put - plug everything into the DD hub as seen in the picture above and have that hub being connected to the PC or console via a single USB lead. Nothing will go wrong that way.

I'll admit, as I bought the seat with the frame, I don't actually know what options are 'easy fits' from real life cars. I've seen many options done online - but some of these tend to come down to the ability of the owner. Some are fabricators in their day job and think nothing of welding up some mounting plates and/or brackets. It can certainly be done - but it's just a question of how easy that is and what your patience level is like.

This is the default seat that comes with the frame. Plenty comfy enough for me at 6' 1" when pushed almost fully back. Please ignore the state of the NLR runner mat underneath - the cat loves sitting on it and it's a pain to hoover! :p

View attachment 1658699

In terms of delivery - the Fanatec kit took around two weeks from order to turn up. As @N0ddie mentioned earlier - you'll have an additional tax to pay (usually to UPS) before it will be delivered.

The NLR frame was much quicker - around 3 days when I ordered it from Scan. It comes on a pallet and is fooking heavy - be prepared to open the outer packaging at your door and to break it down. When in situ, the frame is approximately 135cm long by 55cm wide - to give you some idea of size. If you need the Fanatec pedal base to go further back, expect to increase the overall length by a further 15cm or so. My room is narrow but fairly long - which makes the placement of the frame perfect at the far end, next to the window.

Putting the frame together is very easy - the knack being to loosely attach the bolts before confirming where everything needs to be set to and just taking your time. For example - the seat frame will not slot between the main frame rails if you have tightened up the frame bolts beforehand. Not a chance. They need the slack and give for it to shimmy into place. I've never fitted the roller wheels that come with the frame kit to mine either.

I currently have the old ClubSport for XBox wheel on mine at the minute - but the default CSL wheel that comes with the Fanatec bundle is a very nice wheel to use as well. More so as it has an integrated shift up light at the 12 o'clock position at the top.

View attachment 1658700

View attachment 1658701

It seems a lot of expense, a lot of messing about and a bit of frivalous purchase to be honest. I even questioned why I'd bought it when we moved in and kind of regretted it a little as I hardly ever went on it with my previous Logitech wheel and pedals.

When I pulled the trigger on the Fanatec DD stuff - it was a game changer, literally. It makes the driving feel better and more enjoyable overall. And aside from Forza if you're using an XBox - I cannot recommend buying Assetto Corsa Competizione (ACC) highly enough. It's very difficult, quite unforgiving and very limited in scope - just GT3 and GT4 cars. But as a driving simulator, it's superb and is very rewarding when you get a decent lap in - or outbreak another car into a corner.

If and when you get the frame and you're sat quite low to the screen - try removing the drivers arms and steering wheel from the display. I find it a lot more immersive with my actual wheel being the only steering device in front of me.
That is superb thank you.

My main needs for the rig are, being fairly rigid, thinking I'm going for a fixed one now and put it in the kids room if she really does reject the idea of me putting it in the living room until my office is built. Also needs to fit if possible from about 1.2m up to me at about 5'10. (Like my use of metric for the kids imperial for me lol). As I'm no fabricator looks like it will just be easier to buy a seat included as well.

Research research research.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
No problem at all.

One thing I will say is to be conscious of the noise that a framed wheel and pedals setup can generate. My room is directly above our front room downstairs and the noise transference through the ceiling is considerable. I hardly ever use the Fanatec shifter for one as it clangs through the frame and is pretty annoying tbh!

I have thought about maybe getting some gym mats (proper thick - like 2cm+) to maybe absorb some of the noise downstairs - but haven't done that as yet.

Clio
So.... ordered on the 29th, went to completely shipped on the order on the 31st and now I've had an email saying that due to logistical reasons they are unable to process my order and they will get it to me as soon as possible. When dispatched they'll update my order with the UPS tracking number.

Could be a long one.....

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
You'll have the UK's 20% VAT added on by UPS that you'll have to pay before they'll deliver. The 20% VAT removed when you add the items to your basket so you pay Fanatec less. Its added on at the shipping stage.

Thank Brexit.

VAT free under 150 quid tho isn't it?

So maybe put in a few separate orders?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
So.... ordered on the 29th, went to completely shipped on the order on the 31st and now I've had an email saying that due to logistical reasons they are unable to process my order and they will get it to me as soon as possible. When dispatched they'll update my order with the UPS tracking number.

Could be a long one.....
Nice one!

PM me on here if you need any help with the setup and stuff.

Clio
Still nothing from Fanatec on my order.

Got all my cash, set the order to fully shipped a few days later, week or so later an email saying logistical issues not shipped, we'll update you order with the shipping number when its shipped. Heard nothing since and over 3 weeks since I paid. Pretty poor service if you ask me.

Give them another week before asking whats going on?

Clio
Sent asking for an update on expected delivery date and what the logistical issues are.

Once I submitted the form it said I can expect a reply within business days.

That's cleared that up then.

Clio
Fair play, They've replied already.

Processing backlog due to a move to a new EU Warehouse move.

Sounds like the warehouse move was a s**t storm.

Thanks for reaching out to Fanatec!

We are very sorry your order is affected by a processing backlog and would like to provide you with context on the situation. Within the scope of providing better service and more options for our customers, we have transitioned to a new EU warehouse. Despite our best efforts and extensive preparation on our end, this change has had more hiccups than we could have expected. One aspect of this includes incorrect updates on the shipping status, which is why you do not have a tracking number yet.

Rest assured, things are moving forward. We have added additional staff to handle the workload and it is our primary goal to get your purchase out to you as soon as possible. Once your order has left our warehouse, the tracking number will be uploaded to your order in your Fanatec account and you can track the delivery progress via UPS directly.
We greatly appreciate your continued patience!
Best regards / Freundliche Grüße
Akim
(Fanatec Repair Team)

Fair enough, it is what it is. As long as it turns up then these things happen. Haven't got the cash to buy the rig yet anyway or anywhere to put it.

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
Fair play, They've replied already.

Processing backlog due to a move to a new EU Warehouse move.

Sounds like the warehouse move was a s**t storm.

Fair enough, it is what it is. As long as it turns up then these things happen. Haven't got the cash to buy the rig yet anyway or anywhere to put it.
Some people are less patient :LOL:
1695228041449.png

Clio
Some people are less patient :LOL:
View attachment 1661628

Notafanatec clearly.

Thinking back now, there was a note on their website that they wouldn't be shipping on the 19th/20th August which makes sense of them moving warehouses.

I'm no logistics expert but it sounds like they've just closed one warehouse, put it all in a van and moved it to a new one. Probably not the best plan.

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
Nothing too flash for me:
Next Level Racing Formula/GT rig
G27
Oculus Quest 2
Asus TUF Dash F15 (i7-11370H, RTX 3070, 24gb RAM, 2.5TB SSD)
Monitor arm and laptop stand from Amazon

Mainly play AC as it runs best in VR but also have ACC

Attachments

• riggins.PNG
    riggins.PNG
    924.5 KB · Views: 46

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Will be selling a Logitech G920 setup soon, if anyone is interested?

The wheel itself, pedals and shifter. Compatible with both PC and Xbox.

Would rather sell it on here than get dicked on eBay.

Clio
So thats another week and nothing still.....

At what point do I call it a day and try to get my money back? I've read they aren't even responding to people via the customer support.

Stupidly paid on my debit card as well which probably limits my come back, although I do have one response form their customer service saying its a F up.

Then again there isn't much else on the market for an Xbox at the £400 price is there for a DD, Wheel and pedals?

EthanMenace

ClioSport Club Member
  2010 Clio 200 Cup

Clio
Can't see anywhere the price and not available yet? Only 3.9nm as well. The Fanatec has the option to go up to 8nm for another £100.

Will that also be upgradeable to add a clutch, gearstick etc?

Also any idea on how long I need to contact my bank before its to late to get them to get my money back?

EthanMenace

ClioSport Club Member
  2010 Clio 200 Cup
Can't see anywhere the price and not available yet? Only 3.9nm as well. The Fanatec has the option to go up to 8nm for another £100.

Will that also be upgradeable to add a clutch, gearstick etc?

Also any idea on how long I need to contact my bank before its to late to get them to get my money back?

£400, yes they sell load cell brake pedal, gearstick, handbrake etc as well.

yeah 3.9nm is the only downside, not sure when it’s releasing but pretty sure it’s soon. there’s not much else in that price range for a decent dd wheel and pedal set though, moza can be bought through retailers as well…

In reality if i were you I’d just hold on a bit longer, i’ve seen a lot of people over the last week or so saying their fanatec orders have finally arrived after weeks of hearing nothing, some not even getting a dispatch email.

182 FF Inferno
Mine as it is currently

The dream would be to go Fanatec DD but I'm pretty invested in the Thrustmaster system so can't see that happening. Was waiting for the T818 DD console version from Thrustmaster but there has been no word on that and I fear it will be way over my budget.

Tlcm load cell pedals would make sense, but plenty say the Playseat evolution pedal plate can't take the force of load cell so it may mean a rig upgrade.

S24NRC

ClioSport Club Member
  RS197
I run a G27 and use a G29 on the sim in my unit.

I've placed a few top 100 stage times in Dirt Rally 2.0 with it and do reasonably well with it in most other games. If you're unsure on the hobby I 100% recommend it as an all in solution that will move on easy if it isn't for you.

Clio
Still nothing on my order but this has come from their CEO. Doesn't sound like they are any closer to resolving anything.

I'm just going to sit tight, new office being delivered on the 1st Nov so as long as I get it by end of November it suits me well and I can look to get a decent rig to fix it all to.