ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sim Rigs - Let’s see yours

2014 Clio 200t edc
Dead at work so we’re putting the time to good use and practicing Cadwell ready for the summer. 😂

View attachment 1574291
That is awesome!! What kind of cost is involved with something like that if you don’t mind me asking?
Too late just saw. That is an extreme amount of money, but looks like it takes driving games to another level!!

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
£12k is an insane amount of money for that, but it looks f**king brilliant.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
£12k is an insane amount of money for that, but it looks f**king brilliant.
It is a lot of money but it won’t break.
We had a cheap one before (I say cheap, it was still about £1000) and it was so bloody flimsy.

with this one you can properly stamp on the brake pedal with no worry of it breaking (they’re hydraulic) you have to really hold on to the steering wheel or it will break your fingers, it doesn’t rattle, it doesn’t twist or creak when you sit in it, the TV doesn’t vibrate… it’s just really really well made kit.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
It is a lot of money but it won’t break.
We had a cheap one before (I say cheap, it was still about £1000) and it was so bloody flimsy.

with this one you can properly stamp on the brake pedal with no worry of it breaking (they’re hydraulic) you have to really hold on to the steering wheel or it will break your fingers, it doesn’t rattle, it doesn’t twist or creak when you sit in it, the TV doesn’t vibrate… it’s just really really well made kit.
The old rig was the same wheel/pc/display though wasn't it, just the cockpit has changed from the old gt omega?

What you have now looks properly epic, I'm very jealous!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The old rig was the same wheel/pc/display though wasn't it, just the cockpit has changed from the old gt omega?

What you have now looks properly epic, I'm very jealous!
We’ve had 3 setups.

the one we have now is all new, apart from the PC and the monitor.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Finally my sim rig/cockpit is complete. Started ordering the bits around Christmas time and on Friday the cockpit finally arrived (In many heavy and big boxes).

New McLaren GT wheel also arrived on Friday despite the pre-orders being for February. Its very cool.

Just need a longer DP (for the PC) and HDMi (For the PS5) cables and it'll be all neat and tidy. Monitor is one of the older 34" Ultrawides and tops out at a mere 100Hz. Will do me for now though.

7 hours on Friday night and 6 hours yesterday was a lot of work (building the cockpit then modifying the 2 big desks) but I'm glad it is all "complete" for now.

Attachments

• IMG_0667.jpg
    IMG_0667.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 103

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Bump!

I've realised that when I'm gaming on my PC these days, it's almost always a racing sim.

I have a Logitech G29 wheel and pedals, but I don't use them because I find the pedals really uncomfortable from my office chair, and if I have the chair low enough then the steering wheel is too high, so I'm looking for a starter rig to see if it's something I want to get properly into.

I know something like this will be a bit flimsy, but this is the sort of thing I'm eyeing up.

I don't want to drop £500 on a frame straight out of the box, I'd rather get something half-decent-but-cheap which I can then sell on if I want something better down the line. I don't need one which folds, I've got space to have a permanent setup.

What sayeth the hive mind?

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
Get yourself a playseat challenge, its a bit flimsy like the one above but comfy like a deckchair. I had the playseat evo which was more solid but it just took up too much space and got annoyed with the middle bar blocking the pedals. Will be loads of cheap playseat challenge's on FB / Ebay. just sell it when you upgrade

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I had a look at one of those for… somewhere I spend a lot of time at which isn’t home… and whilst it’s good enough for that, if space isn’t an issue I’d definitely recommend spending out for something more robust. A wobbly wheel base doth nothing for the realism. But I think for something like a G29 it might be alright.

I swear I paid about £500 for my Rseat RS1 but they’re like double that now.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Nice :) Maybe one day, but for now I literally just want to dip a toe in the water and see if it's something I will enjoy.

Honestly I have a lot of fun just playing from keyboard (I know, crazy deviant fool!) but I'm pretty sure it would be even more enjoyable if I wasn't setting everything up to avoid bleeding time on so many corners because of digital controls.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
My setup has changed considerably since my last update in post #47 above. I've swapped from the Fanatec GT DD Pro and V3 Clubsport pedals to the new Asetek Invicta wheelbase and pedals and Forte wheelbase.

52902843272_5d846cef4c_b.jpg

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I still have the 34" UW but its currently not getting used.

The jump was fairly noticeable. Particularly in the quality of the pedals. Easier to control both braking and accelerating. The detail difference in the wheelbase is significant also. Though, both these are a good chunk more expensive than the Fanatec stuff I had so kinda expected.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Oh wow, VR headsets are cheap on eBay these days.

I didn't get any nausea issues when I tried an Oculus Rift a year or two back, but sold it because honestly I wasn't sold on the VR gaming experience. Very tempted to pick something up for racing sims. And VR p**n, obviously.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Oh wow, VR headsets are cheap on eBay these days.

I didn't get any nausea issues when I tried an Oculus Rift a year or two back, but sold it because honestly I wasn't sold on the VR gaming experience. Very tempted to pick something up for racing sims. And VR p**n, obviously.
Apart from the p**n (!) I can't think of anything else that suits VR better than racing games, when setup correctly.

The glance to the apex, the check to your side that you're far enough ahead of the car coming alongside you. The fact that you actually use your wing mirrors properly rather than them being a fixed and static feature in your monitor view. They are great, but obviously require a decent heavyweight of PC hardware to power along at a decent rate.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Apart from the p**n (!) I can't think of anything else that suits VR better than racing games, when setup correctly.

The glance to the apex, the check to your side that you're far enough ahead of the car coming alongside you. The fact that you actually use your wing mirrors properly rather than them being a fixed and static feature in your monitor view. They are great, but obviously require a decent heavyweight of PC hardware to power along at a decent rate.
I mean DCS is probably one above again what with needing to look at targets with your helmet display etc but yeah VR racing is brilliant. Unfortunately it makes me the big sick.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I bought a VR headset last year. I did a few races then stuck it back in its box. Immersion is class but even with a badass PC, it didn't look or run that great imo. I get hot enough racing on a monitor. Add a VR headset to my face and I just cook on the longer races.

Triples is still the best way to go for sim racing I think. My 49" ultrawide is a decent 1 monitor solution but I do pine for triples.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Mine - Not mega expensive kit (bar the monitor but that's a work write-off 😅) but it's solid as anything and works great. I can set it all up in 5 mins.

Only pic I have is of the wife trying out Shutuko Project.

Screenshot 2023-06-29 at 12.59.33.png

Clio
I'm currently in the process planning my garden office and moving out of my 1.2mx08.m cell into the garden. As she has given the go ahead to finance this via funding from an external source such as a bank if I wanted to factor in a sim rig for my xBox what equipment would I need and how much extra funds would I be looking to add to the 'garden project' for a basic but not cheapest setup?

I have tried googling but couldn't anything helpful of like this, this, this and this.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Just bought a Pico 4 headset (goddamn Prime Day, I had escaped the evil clutches of Prime.....)

Will be interesting to see how well it works vs a monitor :)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I'm currently in the process planning my garden office and moving out of my 1.2mx08.m cell into the garden. As she has given the go ahead to finance this via funding from an external source such as a bank if I wanted to factor in a sim rig for my xBox what equipment would I need and how much extra funds would I be looking to add to the 'garden project' for a basic but not cheapest setup?

I have tried googling but couldn't anything helpful of like this, this, this and this.
If it's a hobby you are sure you are gonna enjoy I'd say (as a minimum) you want to go for:

Cockpit: https://nextlevelracing.com/products/gtlite-pro/
Wheelbase, wheel and pedals: https://fanatec.com/eu-en/ready-to-race/csl-dd-ready2race-bmw-bundle-for-pc-5-nm

This way if you want to upgrade you'll be able to sell the cockpit and buy an aluminium profile rig. Those NLR cockpits sell really well/easily on the 2nd hand market. The wheelbase can be upgraded to a higher power output to. Pedals are upgradable and there are a gazillion different steering wheels on the Fanatec website if you fancy something a bit different.

Clio
I'm back to this again. Its a minefield.

I've been doing some research and I feel like I'd like to go DD and the Fanatec looks like a good deal, but it only seems available direct from Fanatec and not easily available.

As the garden office is at least 6-12 months off and I've never used a sim wheel in my life, I'm looking for a stop gap to go in my living room. So I'm narrowing down my grand plan to just see if I would use it.

So first question is, will buying something cheaper like the G920 just put me off because of the feel or is that a good entry?

Then I've been looking at cockpits that need to fold, the playseat evolution looks nice but will the bar between you and the pedals be annoying?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GKX6NYP/?tag=cliospnet01-21

And then do resale values hold up if I move into the office and upgrade?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
If you can spring for a Fanatec CSL DD, just do it. You won’t regret going for a proper direct drive wheel over a Logitech one. I think Moza do reasonably priced wheels too.

Clio
Ok, so budget this month was £500, so advice is get the CSL DD package and just use a desk for now.

Then wait until next month for the rig and go for the setup @N0ddie suggests.

Later down the line I can get a better rig and add clutch and gears and all that as I have a decent base.

Clio
Sorry, one more question. I'm not going to get hit with some import tax as well am I?

No idea how that stuff works.

182 FF Inferno
I'd go with the playseat challenge over the next level racing one. I've read/ heard the next level one is a pig to fold up.

Always plenty of playseat challenges on Facebook Market place for not much money.

Andropidis

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry, one more question. I'm not going to get hit with some import tax as well am I?

No idea how that stuff works.
My understanding with Fanatec is they take VAT off the price they charge you (19% in Germany I believe), and you get charged our 20% here. The delivery company will likely charge ~£20 for the privilege.
When I was looking at Fanatec equipment circa. 2021, they had some widely reported issues with faulty goods and terrible customer service. The stories I read about the customer service issues lead me to buy elsewhere. Things may have changed since then.
This is all from what I have read on the internet, not personal experience.
A secondhand Logitech setup would be a perfect stopgap in my eyes. I used my Logitech G25 bought when it came out until I upgraded (with the usual budget creep) to simucube gear. Roughly 14 years I used it and thousands of hours game play, bar the H shifter I never had any issues.
Having a permanent setup encouraged me to use it a lot more. Spending 10 minutes setting it all up and another 10 stripping it down at the end makes an hour of game play quickly seem like a waste of time.

Clio
Would you then not go for the Playseat Evolution?

Or something like this...

Then I'm looking at the rigs and will I need to get an adapter to fit the Fanatec? I don't want to have all the kit turn up and then have to wait a week for some adaptor to fit the the setup to the rig.

Then if I bought second hand I'd want to change the seat just in case someone had a naked sweaty ball w**k in the seat. Are the seats a pretty universal fit?

Then the TV in the living room is quite high up, so do I need to get a dedicated TV I can sit lower and use?

Not even thought about customer service if needed.

Just more and more questions every time.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Would you then not go for the Playseat Evolution?

Or something like this...

Then I'm looking at the rigs and will I need to get an adapter to fit the Fanatec? I don't want to have all the kit turn up and then have to wait a week for some adaptor to fit the the setup to the rig.

Then if I bought second hand I'd want to change the seat just in case someone had a naked sweaty ball w**k in the seat. Are the seats a pretty universal fit?

Then the TV in the living room is quite high up, so do I need to get a dedicated TV I can sit lower and use?

Not even thought about customer service if needed.

Just more and more questions every time.
That'll have the structural properties (flex) of the Playseat type setup without the advantage of being able to pack it away nicely if needed.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I'm back to this again. Its a minefield.

I've been doing some research and I feel like I'd like to go DD and the Fanatec looks like a good deal, but it only seems available direct from Fanatec and not easily available.

As the garden office is at least 6-12 months off and I've never used a sim wheel in my life, I'm looking for a stop gap to go in my living room. So I'm narrowing down my grand plan to just see if I would use it.

So first question is, will buying something cheaper like the G920 just put me off because of the feel or is that a good entry?

Then I've been looking at cockpits that need to fold, the playseat evolution looks nice but will the bar between you and the pedals be annoying?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GKX6NYP/?tag=cliospnet01-21

And then do resale values hold up if I move into the office and upgrade?
I had one of these for a while over lockdown - I used it a lot with Gran Turismo. Like, a LOT.

As far as sim stuff goes, im led to believe its THE one to have as an entry model. Its got force feedback (f**king strong if you ramp it up too!) and its not too bad. I never got to try some of the Fanatec et al. stuff but I can only imagine its better.

Before committing to something mega expensive, you cant go far wrong. My only grip, again with limited experience, would be the pedals - theyre a bit naff but they work

182 FF Inferno
I'd agree with what Andropidis says about leaving it setup, definate gamechanger. I guarantee you will use it a lot more if it is always setup.

As for the Playseat Evolution, there is a lot of hate for them on the sim racing forums mainly due to flex and the central bar. I've been using one for 3yrs+ using a T300 setup and haven't suffered any issues. But I have read that the Playseat Evolution struggles when using loadcell pedals so you may struggle if you go down the Fanatec route.

I got my Playseat cheap so I can't be too harsh on it. I'd love to go to direct drive, loadcell pedals, alu profile rig but for what I use it, and being console only, I really can't justify it. As u can see from previous posts, it's easy to spend lots, especially if u go to PC.

Clio
Following some expert advice from strangers on the Internet I'm going with this to start with. Wil order first thing Tuesday when I get paid.

1692967151022.png

Last question...... will it just fit on to pretty much any rig I buy without some specific mount I need to buy?

182 FF Inferno
That looks a cracking price for what you are getting, shame they don't do that set for PlayStation for the same money.

Should fit on the majority of well known rigs ie Playseat, Next Level Racing, GT Omega. Don't know about Fanatec as I'm Thrustmaster, but most rigs have a selection of mounting holes.