ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Show me your graph!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
is a dyno not a dyno? lol. whats the difference?

Sadly not mate, they vary massively in the results they will give for the same car.

And even on the same dyno, if the operator wants to there are normally ways to effect the outcome.

Adding 10bhp to a cars output by placing the temp sensor somewhere inappropriate, or fudging the baro settings or strapping the car down is easy enough.

A dyno operator who wants to can easily show you categorically on his dyno that your car definately had another 10bhp since you fitted the air freshener he told you to.

Take it all with a pinch of salt unless you know and trust the operator and are comparing 2 cars from the same dyno.

RS172 Flamer
4x pics request: Standard 172-182-197-200 on the same dyno. From multiple sources if need be? Pleaseeeeeee

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Std 197, then with my prototype induction kit fitted
1069210_533489270038232_1506864293_n.jpg

My 172
Jenvey DCOE 48 ITBs
GEN90 ECU
Cat 421s
182 manifold, custom cat pipe to 2.25 Janspeed exhaust
Headwork by me

6642_440095929377567_1937322143_n.jpg

K-tec induction kit, k-tec ultra exhaust system and sports cat and the fastchip ron98 map.

We was told to add 15% to the ATW figure (158) so according to my pants maths its about 181.7bhp ATF, Limiter looks to have come in early imo?

untitled_zps12d2a767.jpg

192.8bhp

2013-11-04212240_zpsf3aea26b.jpg

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Nope chip still on the ED cams but they seem maxed as die on their ass after 7500 rpm, we upped the limiter to 7800 and the power dropped so took it back to 7500 for safety as still on standard rods.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Surprised to see them making those numbers then!
Wonder if its a bit of a difference between the rollers you are on and ones I am used to though, shame they all vary so much!

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
I know chip rollers can vary so much thats why i have stuck to the same ones as I can then overly old and new graphs.
I know on my old set up we had the standard injectors at 100% which others have had between 210 and 215 out of on healthy engines, on this set up with the Pico 490 injectors we had to add a good bit of timing throughout the map but also had to pull some timing.
If i check the injector duty and timing at peak power will that give you a ruff indication of power.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not really accurate enough without exact fuel pressure to the psi etc too and even then it's only going to be an educated guess no better than the rollers.

The fact you ran out on standard injectors proves it must be working well.
Porkies old engine me and mike built with those cams was 212bhp and that was on inferior very short bodies and with a cat still in place. So I'm sure at least 220 is very realistic from yours.

im not a huge fan of the quality of those ED cams. But they do work really really well.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Dan did say that he thought it would be high 170's when he done the belts, and I was very happy with the results! I'm pondering matched inlets and a decat next to see the difference.
Ah Dan@SJM did the timing. That's a good start on any f4r for a decent result tbh. So many done wrong by local garages.

Ah @Dan@SJM did the timing. That's a good start on any f4r for a decent result tbh. So many done wrong by local garages.

The timing was well out apparently, which doesn't surprise me as the previous owner gave a spanner handy pikey a back hander to do the belts. The difference was night and day though, and I can't thank Dan enough!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The timing was well out apparently, which doesn't surprise me as the previous owner gave a spanner handy pikey a back hander to do the belts. The difference was night and day though, and I can't thank Dan enough!

Ha ha. Bet you were well pleased at the difference for "only" having the belts done!

Ha ha. Bet you were well pleased at the difference for "only" having the belts done!

Very! It's a lot more useable now! I'm not sure where I'm going with engine mods though, I'd love ITBs but not sure I can justify the bang/buck. I'll see what difference the matched inlets and decat make first I think, what's the rough gains on the inlets?

Flol! I think what it lacks in being easy to gain power it more than makes up for in handling, IMO.

I'd be happy with a couple bhp from the inlets, better than nothing and if it doesn't gain then I'll sell them on.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
54bhp of drag. Hope a lot of that is in the rollers themself. Lol.

On dyno dynamics 133 at wheels would only get called 156@flywheel.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
powerstation havn't programmed the static brake losses into their software (it's a retro fitted software onto an older dyno, like the vast majority are), so when they do a losses run down, it doesn't take into account the weight and drag of the rollers and eddy brake etc. if they bothered to do that, it would give a higher ATW figure, and make the ATF figure look more sensible. They always read a bit high there, about 5% up on elsewhere.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Losses run downs are totally inaccurate anyway, its a stupid way to try and measure power as the losses turning a box from the wheels with no resistance from the engine is nothing like what actually happens during the run when the cogs are loaded up hard into each other which causes massively more friction.

Perfect example being my N/A clio and my Turbo clio with the same box etc will show the same rundown losses, but the actual losses during the run will be miles higher on the one with nearly double the power.

Just a silly idea in the first place and I prefer the dyno dynamics way of just admitting they cant measure it and make an educated guess instead.

If the timing's out don't you need new belts? I thought you couldn't adjust unless the belts are nearly new, genuine question as I'm now confused.

Regards Russ..........

M2 Comp
If the timing's out don't you need new belts? I thought you couldn't adjust unless the belts are nearly new, genuine question as I'm now confused.

Regards Russ..........

Yes you can adjust the timing, no need for new belts. I had mine done the other month.

Yes you can adjust the timing, no need for new belts. I had mine done the other month.

Thanks for that, seems to be 2 schools of thought on this then between Traders, I asked the question as mine are 3 years old but the timing needed adjustment for a certain mod and was told it was a risk! and would have to pay for new belts :S I'll leave it at that.
Sorry to the OP for clogging the thread.

Regards Russ.....

Titanium Clio 182
Matched inlets
BMC CDA
K-Tec Supersprint exhaust
RS Tuner map
Approx 90k on the clock, at last years SRR day

SRR2013.jpg

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Is it an easy job to check the timing? Thinking about getting a price to check mine

You have to get it half apart to get the timing tools on it. So it's a fair bit of labour and you will need new flywheel end camshaft seals as they get damaged removing them.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Price of a set of end caps for 'just' checking surely ?
If it's to just check and not adjust then hardly any labour at all. Caps still needed though.
but realistically if you are checking it's cause it's almost certaily wrong so you are going to need the locking tools on to correct not just the horseshoe to check.