ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should my Clio 200 sound like this? Video included

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
Hi,

The other night I noticed my 200 sounded a bit different to usual. Not so much the tappets but the underlying higher pitch and less frequent tapping noise.

I made a video of it here, the car is warm BTW:

th_IMG_0836.jpg

Car is a bog standard 200 with just over 13500 miles. Was last serviced about 2000 miles ago.

Does anyone know what this noise is, or if it is a problem?

Cheers,

Patrick

Lionel Richie
I've been on at renault for 12months now TELLING THEM that there is a fault with the cambelts, had one of the head engineers from Gates at mine and he agrees, Renault just aren't interested! Who am i to tell Renault that there's a problem?? "Our master techs haven't reported an issue"

listen to the random metalic tapping noise

Lionel Richie
Was going to say it doesn't sound too good even if normal!

So the belt tensioner is worn?

no there is a belt length tollerance issue which causes the tensioner when fitted to be past the position it should be, this in turn causes the tensioner to hit its stops with the engine at idle, seems i'm the only one who spotted it (after i had 10 cars in a row do it last year which i had to sort out of my own pocket, cambelt changes)

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Fred - sorry to sound thick, but why would the tensioner be hitting its stops anyway?

Definitely hasn't always made this noise, only started doing it recently.

It is exactly the same noise as mine is making mate.

Renault are having none of it and they will not replace the part as it is only making that noise and they feel it is not causing an issue.

I would get it into have it look at under warranty and see what they say. If you do get an outcome please post up as it could help me greatly.

Matt

Seat Ibiza
How can Renault avoid what you are saying then Fred?

Sounds like you have 10 pieces of evidence?

Lionel Richie
See the problem i'm having? Renault don't want to be told there's an issue by little old Fred, who the f**k is Fred? Gates are doing some testing over the next few weeks, as i say we've had an engineer out and he agrees there's an issue, hopefully the people who make the belt for Renault will make them see that there's an issue!

I probably see more renaultsport cars than the entire dealer network put together LOL

Seat Ibiza
See the problem i'm having? Renault don't want to be told there's an issue by little old Fred, who the f**k is Fred? Gates are doing some testing over the next few weeks, as i say we've had an engineer out and he agrees there's an issue, hopefully the people who make the belt for Renault will make the see that there's an issue!

Yeah I see your problems now.

You need to tell them your f**king Fred, Fred@BTM>Renault

Hopefully you will get some positive comments out of Gates then. And hopefully you sort it as you can't have anymore comebacks to pay for out your own pocket.

Lionel Richie
here's 2 pictures for you to see

number 1 - note the position on the cam tensioner markings AND the position of the allen key - correct
IMG-20111208-00074.jpg

number 2 - note how the cam tensioner markings are in the SAME position, yet the allen key is pointing at a 45degree angle?
IMG-20111208-00075.jpg

this is caused by the belt length being slightly out of spec

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
It is exactly the same noise as mine is making mate.

Renault are having none of it and they will not replace the part as it is only making that noise and they feel it is not causing an issue.

I would get it into have it look at under warranty and see what they say. If you do get an outcome please post up as it could help me greatly.

Matt

When I found mine was making a noise, it was your post I found on 200.net and it sounded exactly the same. Just didn't want to post the vid on your thread and spam it.

I am going to go to Reno about this, I'll let you know how I get on.

I just done a vid of mine as it sounds worse than the OPs!

Will post in a second.

Be good to hear what your's sounds like!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Got to love the customer service. Maybe get the owners together and send something to RUK. Doesn't someone on here have a contact at RUK?

Fred > All. Again.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
didnt someone on here ( the SMC clio with 3 knackered gearboxes) get to the head honcho at Renault-

You need the organ grinder- not the monkey....

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
if i got any 200 in the dealer i work at i would heard the noise lol
hey fred surely fitting the same belt kit wont solve the problem?

Nissan 350z
Greeeeeeat something else to look out for on top of the wearing recaros and dodgey gearbox syncromeshs that also apparently have no problems too :(

Lionel Richie
if i got any 200 in the dealer i work at i would heard the noise lol
hey fred surely fitting the same belt kit wont solve the problem?

its HOW you fit it, you almost have to ignore the markings, you go too far on the tension and then go back on yourself and it will line up close enough, hard to explain!

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
After seeing this I posted a link on RS to see what Renault had to say about this.
Am thinking about wife's next motor & she likes the 200 & that in turn would be cleaned out regularly on track :eek:
Got the usual forum know it alls having a laugh, but think Renault may look into this.

Lionel Richie
thanks Steve, i've been trying for over 12months but it seems Renault don't have anyone available on the phone with any form of technical knowledge, plus the fact an independant (me) is telling them there's an issue rather than their "RTE's" has zero impact as it would

maybe renault can give me a job ;)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
thanks Steve, i've been trying for over 12months but it seems Renault don't have anyone available on the phone with any form of technical knowledge, plus the fact an independant (me) is telling them there's an issue rather than their "RTE's" has zero impact as it would

maybe renault can give me a job ;)

I think you do a better job.
Maybe Renault may want to listen instead of fobbing off customers with the usual responses.
IF Renault actually listened to what customers wanted they would take a great leap forward ;)

Lionel Richie
had a reject kit today, simply didn't fit it and will be sending it back on monday, good thing we have 5 of each kit in stock! You try getting a replacement cambelt kit out of renault (unfitted) when you claim its faulty, they owe me a fortune!

Clio 172 Cup
yep we "think" so, i'll wait and see what gates themselves say
so could this issue be prevented by avoiding using gates kits?or do the other timing kits run the same tolerances as gates/renault ones? (seen continental and SKF from euro car parts)renault are tw*ts if they are avoiding this problem, as its gonna end up costing bigtime in the longrun! :dead:

Lionel Richie
so could this issue be prevented by avoiding using gates kits?or do the other timing kits run the same tolerances as gates/renault ones? (seen continental and SKF from euro car parts)renault are tw*ts if they are avoiding this problem, as its gonna end up costing bigtime in the longrun! :dead:

nope, i've had the same fault with every manufacturer you can think of! (they all share the same idlers/tensioners - they all buy from the same people) the only diffference between say a conti kit and a gates kit is the actual belt itself

its completley hit and miss, the inital issue i had was with INA kits, so we moved to gates, then had issues with gates, so moved to skf, then had issue with them and moved to conti, then moved to OE, basically we've tried EVERYTHING, and they all suffer the same fault, but randomly! so you all think "hum, maybe BTM isn't fitting the kits properly" at first this was true, but we were only fitting them as you would logically fit them (see previous pictures, fit it and tension it up until the markings align) but with further investigation, and having 10 cars with this tap we scratched our heads for a while, tried several things, spent a lot of time and money picking up said cars from the owners (all over the country) and eventually realised the problem!

this is kind of related to the reasoning behind why renault say you can't skim the clyinder heads, if you do that then again the belt will now become too long for the engine as the cams are closer to the crank

Clio 172 Cup
nope, i've had the same fault with every manufacturer you can think of! (they all share the same idlers/tensioners - they all buy from the same people) the only diffference between say a conti kit and a gates kit is the actual belt itselfits completley hit and miss, the inital issue i had was with INA kits, so we moved to gates, then had issues with gates, so moved to skf, then had issue with them and moved to conti, then moved to OE, basically we've tried EVERYTHING, and they all suffer the same fault, but randomly! so you all think "hum, maybe BTM isn't fitting the kits properly" at first this was true, but we were only fitting them as you would logically fit them (see previous pictures, fit it and tension it up until the markings align) but with further investigation, and having 10 cars with this tap we scratched our heads for a while, tried several things, spent a lot of time and money picking up said cars from the owners (all over the country) and eventually realised the problem!this is kind of related to the reasoning behind why renault say you can't skim the clyinder heads, if you do that then again the belt will now become too long for the engine as the cams are closer to the crank
well i need my cambelt changed. what do you suggest i do? curl up into a ball and cry i guess. :dapprove: