ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should I risk it?

Ok so I have about £5500 to spend on a car and maybe insurance..

Now I can get a decent 172 for about 3500 but insurance is 2100 TPFT, unlimited mods, So If i did that I wouldnt have to pay monthly for my insurance as I could just buy it all out right. This means I could save about 150-200 a month to go towards mods etc

Now my other option is.. I could get a Citroen C2 VTS, but i would have to spend about 5000 on the car to get a good one. Difference is the insurance is 1400 fully comp.. and i could probably straight swap the c2 for a 172 in a years time (seem to hold their value more) BUT I would have to pay out monthly for the insurance meaning I couldnt never really save for anything...

So yeah, do you think its worth the risk going TPFT? Its probably more sensible to go with a VTS tbh, its just i really prefer the 172 lol ;)

Anyway thanks!

Black 'Cup Packed' 197
Griffs option sounds the most sensible. But I hate c2's lol. Get something else, what about a fiesta ZS? Great little cars :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
About the same for both fully comp then. I'd probably take the C2.

Extra £700/£1400 for insuring the Cup this year, surely the depreciation of the C2 will be less than this after a year so would probably work out better. Or maybe go for a cheaper VTS so you can still save and hopefully less depreciation as well then at the end of it.

Griffs option sounds the most sensible. But I hate c2's lol. Get something else, what about a fiesta ZS? Great little cars :)

Lmao I dont really like the zetec s, plus they are slow, 10 secs to 60 where as the c2 is 8 secs..

Anyway seems to be some good advice in here, think Ill go with the vts and get something better in a year or two. Maybe a megane 225:evil:

2850 fully comp, unlimited mods

Jesus thats nearly what the cars worth!

We've all been in your situation mate, IMO though its best getting something cheap to run around in for atleast a year, get some NCD and experience then look at a "hot hatch"

Ime assuming from thoses Insurance qte's your a youngish driver?

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Whichever option that means that you aren't paying anything out on finance would be the right choice imo. Paying £2k+ is a lot on insurance, but its still more sensible than taking the option that involves finance for the sake of having a lower out and out insurance premium. I paid £2.2k on my 1st for insurance, and it was a 1.4 vauxhall astra ;) (Manchester + insurance companies ftl)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Spending that much on insurance is just like declaring you are mentally unstable.

Whichever option that means that you aren't paying anything out on finance would be the right choice imo. Paying £2k+ is a lot on insurance, but its still more sensible than taking the option that involves finance for the sake of having a lower out and out insurance premium. I paid £2.2k on my 1st for insurance, and it was a 1.4 vauxhall astra ;) (Manchester + insurance companies ftl)

Dont most people pay out insurance monthly? Wont be buying the car on finance dont worry..

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Look at other options. For some reason 1*2's are stupid to insure. 306gti? Just as quick, better to drive. BMW E36 328sport?

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Dont most people pay out insurance monthly? Wont be buying the car on finance dont worry..
Maybe, but buying the insurance and paying monthly is finance. If you can buy a car and insurance outright then that imo is much better than buying a lower insurance group car for more money then buying insurance on finance. Once its paid for its done, no need to worry over the next 12 months.

It might be that you are paying more for insurance this year, but you'll be spending less over all and you wont be lending money to do it. Even though the insurance is high its more stupid to put yourself in £1400 of debt when you could have it all done without borrowing money on a car you will most likely enjoy more anyway.

ValverInBits
2 rules to insurance IMO:

Never pay monthly. If you can't afford the premium, then you can't afford it.
Never insure fully comp before 20-21 years of age. If you write off a car, then claim on the insurance, you will regret it for years and years to come.
I wrote off a car in my first couple of weeks, I lost £3k exactly. Don't regret the third party insurance for a min. I'm now able to insure some pretty darn quick cars.

R26
c2 vts are crap. my mate has one, its sloow, my missus swift sport can beat it easy. plus i get higher mpg than him, plus c2s are crap. imo.

Maybe, but buying the insurance and paying monthly is finance. If you can buy a car and insurance outright then that imo is much better than buying a lower insurance group car for more money then buying insurance on finance. Once its paid for its done, no need to worry over the next 12 months.

It might be that you are paying more for insurance this year, but you'll be spending less over all and you wont be lending money to do it. Even though the insurance is high its more stupid to put yourself in £1400 of debt when you could have it all done without borrowing money on a car you will most likely enjoy more anyway.

Thing is though.. the clio insurance is 2100 TPFT and the VTS is 1400 fully comp.. If I were to wreck the clio thats close to 6k down the drain :S But then again if i dont crash, its all good :D Cant see my self putting a car in a ditch though. GAHHH i dunno what to do :( I could be driving a 172 which i LOVE, but i would always have it in the back of my mind, if i slip up, im f**ked.

c2 vts are crap. my mate has one, its sloow, my missus swift sport can beat it easy. plus i get higher mpg than him, plus c2s are crap. imo.

Dam thats off putting.. but Im sure it will feel like a rocket compared to my 1.6 8v astra which is slightly slower than a 1.2 16v clio lmao