ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Serious Squeeling when turning and rust on Pulley (Pic's)

Clio 182
Hi All,

This last months my car has being making a 'squeeling' sound when turning at slow speeds, a lot worse in the cold weather btw, which is progressively getting worse. Took it to a renault mechanic before and he said that they 'do that' in the cold weather, although to be fair to him he did check the PAS and the tensioners.

Now when cleaning the car today I decided to have a wee look myself and came across this:
20120201_141558.jpg

Seems the bottom pulley has started to rust due to the belt moving towards the engine. Another Pic Below:

20120201_141424.jpg

Any Idea's guy's?
What will be the cheapest way to fix and is it safe to drive?

Clio 182
Cheers, might just do the whole lot; aux, cam belt, tensioners, etc!
Power steering fluid has never being changed either so might get it done too.

Megane dci 130
There's nothing wrong With the rust, the belt never runs on that. The belt is sat correctly on the pulley also. I would check the belt run is correct on all the other pulleys and if it is, I'd renew the belt kit.

markfishy

ClioSport Trader
  So many but not mine
Yes dont wait too long, sounds like the aux belt tensioner has siezed on pivot. aux ten Pulley will be ok, but belt will not be tensioned, hence belt noise when steering pump under max load regards mark

Clio sport 182
Ive got the same problem, but i mainly put mine down to it getting abit of damp on the belt with the cold weather.

Mine is a little on and off, like when its a bit warmer and hasnt been stood too long. Only had my 182 for around 2months and before i bought it all belts were checked by arnold clarks and they were all given a pass and a clean bill of health.
I know how you feel though, because although ive got a test sheet from arnold clark saying they are A ok and with me being a mechanic and i can see my self the belt and the pulleys are fine it still gives me the heebie jeebies when it does it. So ive decided to take it easy on the dry steering and see if it gets any better with the warmer weather coming and if i doesnt then im gunna change the belt and then tensioner. Just to be safe.(if itgets worse)

markfishy

ClioSport Trader
  So many but not mine
Ive got the same problem, but i mainly put mine down to it getting abit of damp on the belt with the cold weather.

Mine is a little on and off, like when its a bit warmer and hasnt been stood too long. Only had my 182 for around 2months and before i bought it all belts were checked by arnold clarks and they were all given a pass and a clean bill of health.
I know how you feel though, because although ive got a test sheet from arnold clark saying they are A ok and with me being a mechanic and i can see my self the belt and the pulleys are fine it still gives me the heebie jeebies when it does it. So ive decided to take it easy on the dry steering and see if it gets any better with the warmer weather coming and if i doesnt then im gunna change the belt and then tensioner. Just to be safe.(if itgets worse)[/QUOTE

A wet belt may chirp squeal for a second or two, but it should then be as quiet as a well fed dog.