ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

seized torsion bar

Does anybody have any ideas how to release a seized torsion bar from a open bar system. Ive managed to get one side out, but even with plenty of heat and penatrating fluid i cannot get the other out. With only the one bar out, the maximum I can lower the back is about 20mm

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

u can lower it with 1 bar out as the car will be lopsided.

i would go to a garage as they might be able to pull it out the other way is that renault sell a tool for removing the toursion bar which is stonger than the nut and bolt meathod which i gues u are using

MalicE

nah im using a slide hammer, tried the nut and bolt method and also tried hitting it with a bar from the other side with the other torsio bar removed.

ive also measured each side and it isnt lop sided

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

um but to sucessfully lower it each side has to be put up the same amount so if you are only doing 1 side IT WILL BE LOPSIDED it may not look it when u measure but i guarantee it will when u put the weels back on and put it on the ground it might not to begin with but once its all settled it will.

MalicE

Clio Gtt

take one bar out but remeber how it came out!!, and put a long thinner rod through the opening and tap the oposite bar out from the inside.

try soaking the end in wd 40 overnight, spary it on the end and put the black cap that covers the end back on.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

For these bars to be removed fairly easily and SAFELY, the suspension arm must be in the right place otherwise the torsion bar will still be under load. Undo the shock absorber and try lowering the arm gradually (not putting too much stress on them), until the bar comes out. You should NEVER apply heat to suspension/steering components as you can seriously weaken them. Mark the bars with a dob of paint as a starting reference point so if it does go all T1Ts up, you can put it back to how it was.

Another tip: When refitting the bars after lowering/raising etc, the bars have a different number of splines on either end. Dont just hammer them in, keep turning them one spline at a time until they slide in easily. Dont forget to clean and lube the spilnes!

Hope that helps.

Bob RTE