ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Seanybaby's Clio 182 Road/track car

Arctic 182
Dudes and dudettes,

I've been a member of this forum ever since I got my Clio 182 about 6 years ago now. I've always used and abused the forum mainly for knowledge, to ask questions and to buy and sell goodies. I thought it time i gave something back!

This car is the love of my life and the bane of my girlfriends.

Over the past couple of years iIve taken the Clio to track, I've only done the Brands Indy circuit thus far but next year I will look to do a few more.

Mods on the car

Partly Stripped
Rear cage
Cobra Suzuka Buckets
Sabelt wheel
TRS 4 point harnesses
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's
Turinis for road
Eibach Sportlines
Braided Lines
DS2500's
Ktec induction
RS Tuner map

RR'd at Surrey 176bhp so she's in good health :tonguewink::tonguewink:

Here's some snaps of me tearing shi* up on track (I wish).

Look at the concentration on my face and the subtle hint of pain because of the Elise about to abuse me
IMG_2305-001.jpg

IMG_2282.jpg

Me pretending to know what iIm doing. Didn't realise he had his grubby arm on my car. Bit of crack on show for ya aswell :tongueout:
IMG_2280.jpg

IMG_2263.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2252.jpg

IMG_2251.jpg

IMG_2221.jpg

After a wee polish

20120827_124549.jpg

IMG_2302.jpg

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0251.jpg

World class lines

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

IMG_2343-001.jpg

IMG_2322.jpg

As i commute and the car doesn't owe me anything i will be keeping it for a few years, i'm not going to do too much to it at the moment apart from some quick wins like

Tidy up (respray plastics) and possible front bumper
Fit some brake ducts
short shifter
top mounts
engine mounts
dog bone mount
New pads (any suggestions?)

I will shove some more pics of her when resting on the driveway once i have got round to cleaning her.

Watch this space!:wink:

Last edited:
  Arctic 182
What was the clio like against the R3 on track? The Rx8?
On the straights the rx8 had the legs slightly, not by much but in the corners I was quicker. Not sure if that was down to the car or the fact that i had an instructor in the car and his lines were a bit off!

Held its own! Twas only a novice day so hard to tell if the difference was driver or car!

Arctic 182
Carbone Lorraine RC6 pads, but prepare for squealing brakes
Dont really drive it enough to really care about the noise from the brakes!
Do about 1700 miles a year now, if that!

Heard good things about these brakes. The ds2500 are good but not sure if they would fair so well on a circuit with more twisties! And they are starting to crumble

Dont really drive it enough to really care about the noise from the brakes!
Do about 1700 miles a year now, if that!

Heard good things about these brakes. The ds2500 are good but not sure if they would fair so well on a circuit with more twisties! And they are starting to crumble
If your not bothered about noise then I can't recommend these pads enough, it made slowing down fun

Arctic 182
Not posted in a while, been busy buying a few bits but haven't really had time to fit any of it yet.
Here's an award winning photo showing her booty

Speedlines back on

20151123_160018.jpg

Resprayed grill after not liking the gloss black that was done previously. Went for Matt black, in hindsight Satin would have looked better

Before

20150925_143313.jpg

20150925_143323.jpg

20150926_104231.jpg

After

20150926_104325.jpg

Bought some washer blanks off a group buy here and sprayed em up. Not a great standard, need a little polish to try and reduce orange peel

20151025_200127.jpg

Bought some mounts, have only got round to fitting the dogbone, that was an absolute ball ache

20151107_131135.jpg

20151107_131135.jpg

Finally.........
20151123_131549.jpg

20151123_131549.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Nearly there

20151123_132325.jpg

Thought 'sod it' and bought a Yozza that was going on here, gave her a polish up
Before

20151107_153021.jpg

After
20151107_160824.jpg

20151107_162457.jpg

Tried to fit the other day but couldn't remove the old one as the the muffler and down pipe seem to be fused together and no amount of bench pressing could part them

So to do:

Fit Yozza
Fit engine mounts
New brake pads
Fit washer blanks

Get her out on track again!

Attachments

• 20151107_153021.jpg
    20151107_153021.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
  Arctic 182
Finally had a spare few minutes to to some outstanding bits.
To continue slowly but surely upgrading the engine mounts around the car I fitted a Vibratechnics upper mount. I didn't notice any extra vibration in the cabin once fitted, throttle feels a little more responsive but i think it may be placebo!

Old mount off
20151228_105831.jpg

Comparison
20151228_105823.jpg

New mount on
20151228_112727.jpg

Also fitted some washer blanks I bought off here,sprayed them myself. As you can see I'm shi** at spray painting. Am not happy with how they look so may get them professionally sprayed. Any detailers who think a polish may help?? I'm a bit OCD so i cannot settle for meritocracy!

Bumper off,protect those wings people! Had a chance to use new Costco jack, decent bit of kit,actually felt like it could support the car, unlike the previos Screwfix one

20151228_114814.jpg

20151228_121845.jpg

Fitted the Yozza as well, looks a bit pisse*
20151228_124225.jpg

Just came across a pic of my first car 9 years ago, absolute beast if I remember correctly. Loved those rear lights, look awful now!

DSC00426.jpg

DSC00427.jpg

Arctic 182
Managed to find 45 minutes where it werent pissing down and started polishing up the headlights.

Used grade 400>800>1500 followed by a coarse polish and then a fine polish using my DA. Came up pretty well but still some slight scratches so needs a few more goes over. Only managed one headlight as it started pissing down again!

Amazing what a slight refresh can do to tidy up the front end. Excuse the vomit down the front

20160101_124502.jpg

20160101_124453.jpg

Volvo S40
Car looks great. I'd try your polisher on the washer blanks - even if it doesn't work I'm sure you could get them done professionally for pennies. How did you go about changing the engine mount out of interest? Support weight of engine under sump with trolley jack, old mount off, new mount on, release jack?

Arctic 182
Looking at maybe replacing mine.

Jack and a piece of wood under the engine to support it. Remove and replace but don't tighten it completely until the jack has been removed.
What he said. My engine had sagged a bit so i couldnt get the new mount on without jacking the engine up a bit.
Piece of wood (larger surface area) between sump and jack, remove old mount, pit new one one. Dont tighten completely, remove jack, start engine and let it idle for few minutes. Tighten bolts. (Recommended on another thread to allow engine to find natural position.)
@Sesqui89
Looking at maybe replacing mine.

Jack and a piece of wood under the engine to support it. Remove and replace but don't tighten it completely until the jack has been removed.

Arctic 182
Thinking of getting the PMS shifter. Anyone got one? Worth the money?

Does it put any additional wear on the gearbox?

Does the full linkage replace the dogbone mount?

Questions questions!

Arctic 182
they are great, every time i fit one for someone they love it!!

watch what dan says tomorrow after he tries the one i stuck in his old phase 1, guarantee he will want one:wink:
Do they replace the dogbone? As I only fitted my one about a month ago and it may break my heart to swap it out already

dan's cast offs.
as dan said, it's everything from the box back so gets rid of the silly sloppy bushes and replaces with bearings. you can pretty much feel the ball click in to the detent on the selector shaft when you change gear!!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Finally had a spare few minutes to to some outstanding bits.
To continue slowly but surely upgrading the engine mounts around the car I fitted a Vibratechnics upper mount. I didn't notice any extra vibration in the cabin once fitted, throttle feels a little more responsive but i think it may be placebo!

Is there seriously no extra vibrations??

Clio 172 Cup

I'd also be interested to know how it affects daily driving vibrations wise. I've got a cup, and i'm hesitant to upgrade as im not sure how shaky it will get when on the road.
As for the PMS. I love mine. @bloke is correct, its so precise with the feel of the gear changes.

Arctic 182
Mines not too bad atall mate. You notice it more on idle so if you're sitting around in traffic quite a bit then it might not be for you.
I only do about 2000 miles a year now so im probably not the best person to take advice from!

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Ah cool, I only asked as I fitted a power flex insert on the top mount and it vibrates more on idle and slightly more cabin noise while driving... Sort of a compromise to get a nicer feel but worth it I think