ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Saved from the death Iceburg 172

Ojc

Clio 220 Trophy, 172
Hello, thought I'd make a thread to document where my 172 started and where it might end up.

Always been a RS fan bought a 197 in 2010 had it for 5 years and chopped it in for a new 220 Trophy so needed a project to keep my mind ticking over and have something for 2017 track days and Nurburgring trip.

So with a budget in mind and not too fused on condition one came up locally that someone had started to refresh but got bored, all new Cup shocks, new ball joints and powerflex bushes and a top end rebuild so I snapped it up for £675, rough around the edges but drove lovely and tight
image.jpeg

Had terrible purple wheels, horrid bonnet pins and ridiculous twin exit exhaust.

First thing first, was get the belts done, I was assured they had been done but what's the point in risking it so my good friend Alex White popped down and did the belts and dephaser.

Trip to bodyshop and dent man to have it tidied up followed, along with a decent set of wheels and tyres (Michelin Pilot Sport 3s) and a KTec stealth system brings me up to date with it.

Plans for next year include set of Bilstein B14s, Cup Spoiler and a brake refresh possibly a EPAS conversion and set of decent seats
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ojc

Clio 220 Trophy, 172
IMG_8354.JPG
IMG_8354.JPG
IMG_8355.JPG
IMG_8372.JPG
So few bits and pieces were annoying me on my little project car like the bonnet and the latches which didn't really fit in with the route I wanted to take the car, so sourced a new bonnet and had the car fully resprayed minus the roof (which will be painted when I get around to finding a cup spoiler)

Ojc

Clio 220 Trophy, 172
Just a quick question, the cars running a 182 style manifold and decat, the noise and emissions are starting to piss me off. Is there an option other than the frankly ridiculously expensive KTec sports cat?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Just a quick question, the cars running a 182 style manifold and decat, the noise and emissions are starting to piss me off. Is there an option other than the frankly ridiculously expensive KTec sports cat?
Buy a 2nd hand 182 cat and have it cut into the decat mate. That's the most cost effective solution.

Ojc

Clio 220 Trophy, 172
Did a few bits to the 172, bit the bullet and bought KTec 182 manifold Sports CAT for the MOT.

Went through the MOT only issue being side repeaters not flashing orange but passed anyway.

Got the Cup Spoiler fitted and had the roof and mirror caps painted

81FD5B1B-48E2-4108-BF41-B5B06640A4DC.jpeg

Friend of mine was trading in his 172 Cup which I know the history of and for a good price so couldn’t refuse

0E3ABB20-9A8D-4B42-BBF4-64BADE08F1BF.jpeg
DAFD8586-F1DD-4D3A-8F97-022A0D0952D8.jpeg

Changed the side repeaters on the silver one for some genuine ones
B922CF83-FF8B-4DC7-AF78-9008422C4D3E.jpeg

Next up is wheel refurb for the silver 172 to a dark gloss anthracite and carbon splitter