ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sams iceberg 172 track / fast road project

clio 172 ph 2
So I bought my ph2 172 for 850 quid on eBay. Had 84000 on the clock and had just had new dephaser and six belt. A little tatty here and there with an aparantly noisy drive shaft, anyways fancied a project so handed over the cash and drove it from Scarborough to my he on sheffield. Here's a picture when I got it home.
2e5b0c668a1af3b2d2cc9e65257b5a78.jpg

Unfortunately on my drive home I realised it's much more than a drive shaft and definitely diff related, nursed it home nervously then the next day floored it down the road to see what would give and as thought the diff blew out. So started to remove box etc...
6491a03bfdcc51f62482d8a8d3e33450.jpg

d21068620efc85bce54130fb87ef4f13.jpg

c0e0a1f928aeeea6250bd6d7f709e0c0.jpg

Was the first gearbox I've ever removed, would have been easier on a ramp but did it in my spare time over 3 seperate days and didn't struggle too much, here's the damage

3b67ad116367db0596b79ac950c26b34.jpg

dfd65f437f473d8069146368dade817f.jpg

Bought box on eBay and a brand new luk clutch. Decided to install a vibra techniks upper gearbox mount too and found it had already got updated dog bone mounts.

70f694c4a401ca06707828644b255b4c.jpg

I replaced all cv boots as they were all split but only to find out the left hand drive shaft was pushing the gearbox\ engine side to side so bought a new left hand shaft. Finally car was all back together. Took it for a drive and the handling was terrible, dangerously bad. So bought a full set of new cup shocks and cup sport springs, here are the old ones, one tear shock had no damping or oil at all (forgot to get pics of new items)
f002a803869eead40cd01de288223fa4.jpg

6e0d2dc1bdad8ce648ac5afdccab5814.jpg

Right handling is 1000 percent better, sits nice too. Car had brembo pads all round and new discs all round when I bought it, some sort of grooves /slotted front discs too. For some reason abs/ esp /Serb lights were on ever since I re connected battery. After searjcing on here I bought a new brake pedal switch which didn't solve it straight away but after a day or two of fiddling they have gone out and everything works. So handling and braking for now is sorted, has hel braided lines too.

The engine has a green cotton panel filter fitted, some sort of exhaust which has no centre silencer and sits bad at the rear of the car, too loud and doesn't look good but not changing quite yet.

I've given the interior a thorough clean and made sure mechanically everything is acceptable for now as going to use it as a daily until March next year.

Here's the car now, not the best picture and exterior has not been cleaned or attended to cosmetically and on the to do list

5379a933dcf4d986356150c8b08e08d9.jpg

So now the to do list is ;

Sort steering click on right hand front, think tie rod is shagged

New tyres all round, Goodyear Eagles most likely

Sort slight misfire which occurs on very part throttle when cruising, going to try plugs and leads

Then vibra top mount and new quiet exhaust.

Going to book on a decree track day too!

More to come soon hopefully..

clio 172 ph 2
Forgot to mention anyone with bad inside steamy windows and condensation check the cabin filter. Here's mine that came out on Saturday..,
e464f529c6debe452a782ee161c4ca4c.jpg

Put new one in and not had any issues since.

Titanium 182
Hi mate, great read up, brave man on the gearbox job, where do I find the cabin filter as I currently have this problem.

clio 172 ph 2
Thanks. I'm a bike mechanic by trade so sort of knew what to do but cars are so different and awkward in my opinion haha.

Right if you pop the bonnet and look at the black plastic scuttle panel at the bottom of the windscreen on the drivers side. You can actually grab hold of it and pull it up and put from the bonnet side. Then you will see an upright sort of flat box with a little bolt holding the lid on. Just undo the bolt and swap the filters over . Make sure the arrow on top of the new filter faces towards the passenger side of the car, it shows the air flow direction. Hope this makes sense, if not let me know and I'll take some pictures for you.