ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

S1 Rallye

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Well, after looking for a new wing for a few days I decided to take the car down to the local body shop for a look. I explained I wanted it mint as before and we have agreed on a price.

Basically, the previous owner failing to spend £1 on the correct pinch bolt is going to cost me the best part of £500! Awesome.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Well, after looking for a new wing for a few days I decided to take the car down to the local body shop for a look. I explained I wanted it mint as before and we have agreed on a price.

Basically, the previous owner failing to spend £1 on the correct pinch bolt is going to cost me the best part of £500! Awesome.
Isn't that always the way mate? If you need to replace the stickers they're from rick (cuisiman9?) on the rallye forum.
Russ

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Two good bits of news today;

1) The sticker dude will only sell me a full set so that's £70.

2) Gearbox is now kicking itself into neutral when in 5th gear.

I genuinely had to stop myself smashing it up with a hammer this morning.

freaking money pit.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Not good. Buying an old French hatch is always going to be a gamble and guaranteed to cost you money

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks like the saxo I was going to buy has fallen through.

Seller seemed weird, wouldn't make himself available for viewing for over 2 weeks.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Mate this thing sounds like a right pile, I've never experienced these issues with any of my rallyes/gti's/vts's.

Sounds like it needs someone to go through it all properly checking everything over and replacing worn out/bodged parts.

Depends whether you intend to keep it or flog it on though

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Mate this thing sounds like a right pile, I've never experienced these issues with any of my rallyes/gti's/vts's.

Sounds like it needs someone to go through it all properly checking everything over and replacing worn out/bodged parts.

Depends whether you intend to keep it or flog it on though

Im having some issues mate that's for sure. I'm gonna stick with it though.

Clio 172
Rallye ownership. The first 6-8 months is teething problems and getting to know the cars "character!" after that initial period (and the wallet getting raped each month!) you soon find a balance of living with it and the faults not being faults any more but rather just "quirks!" ;)

The gear box might be a mount & linkage issue. If the engine and box mount are loose and the linkages are past it the movement could be shaking it out of gear. Time for a powerflex lower mount, some group N linkages and a compbrake short shift!! :p

Jack

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Sad to hear you are having these issues, It really is all part of ownership. I totally agree they have a "Character" mine is a c**t .. fix one thing.. it breaks something else. Mine for example has been to the ring done 3 events this year with no more work than a spanner check.. drive it at the weekend, smokey as hell.. piston rings are starting to go lol!

It sounds like the gate has gone on the gearbox, are you running the standard 1.3 box? If you are its worth a rebuild if not I would look for something else, I had a similar issue with one of my boxes you had to hold it in 5th or it would jump out when you let off. I now resort to fitting 1.1 or 1.0 gearboxes as you can pick them up for about £20 quid, the diff ratio in them also helps it accelerates quicker than a gti box. The current one I have has lived longer than any gti box on the car.

I would recommend going over the whole car and spanner checking it, once all bolts are tight mark them with a paint pen, then when you check the car over if the line is broken then you can see easily if something has come loose. All of my lower arms, ball joints, brakes etc are done like this and trust me it saves time looking for knocks if things do come loose or at times saves your life when stuff like lower arms work loose.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Thing is, it was all done a couple of years ago and the box has supposed to have had a rebuild less then 5k ago.

Who knows!

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Thing is, it was all done a couple of years ago and the box has supposed to have had a rebuild less then 5k ago.

Who knows!

Every box I have bought apart from the current one was supposedly rebuilt and they have all lasted no more than 4-5k max. Do you have the receipt for the box? Most people will state they have been done or sent it off to some back street workshop to save money. The garagetake it apart, throw brake and clutch cleaner at it and put it back together, Unless you have receipt for around £400 stating its been done with seals etc I wouldn't believe anything.

All of the above is not forgetting the MA gearbox is just dogshit anyway!

Perverse with it, get the wing sorted and get the box whipped out, find a decent one online or get the one you have fixed and you will fall back in love with it.... if not sell it on, one as clean as yours will still sell for good money.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Every box I have bought apart from the current one was supposedly rebuilt and they have all lasted no more than 4-5k max. Do you have the receipt for the box? Most people will state they have been done or sent it off to some back street workshop to save money. The garagetake it apart, throw brake and clutch cleaner at it and put it back together, Unless you have receipt for around £400 stating its been done with seals etc I wouldn't believe anything.

All of the above is not forgetting the MA gearbox is just dogs**t anyway!

Perverse with it, get the wing sorted and get the box whipped out, find a decent one online or get the one you have fixed and you will fall back in love with it.... if not sell it on, one as clean as yours will still sell for good money.

It was Russ on here who had the box done.

I won't be flogging it, when it works I love it!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Box has been done by Ian @ engine and gearbox services Workington Cumbria, he does all my boxes for road and race and has done for 10 years, I wouldn't use anyone else. If there's a problem with the box and something is at fault to do with Ian's workmanship he'll sort it and that goes for my race car box too, hence why I said earlier if the op needed a hand with the box to give me a shout.
Imo all this hassle has stemmed from one problem and that's the previous owner has had the box out for some reason and when he's put it back together it's been thrown back together, hence the pinch bolt incident.
Russ

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Box has been done by Ian @ engine and gearbox services Workington Cumbria, he does all my boxes for road and race and has done for 10 years, I wouldn't use anyone else. If there's a problem with the box and something is at fault to do with Ian's workmanship he'll sort it and that goes for my race car box too, hence why I said earlier if the op needed a hand with the box to give me a shout.
Imo all this hassle has stemmed from one problem and that's the previous owner has had the box out for some reason and when he's put it back together it's been thrown back together, hence the pinch bolt incident.
Russ

He said he re used the same pinch bolt believe it or not! I'm hoping it's a simple fix with the box but we shall see!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
He said he re used the same pinch bolt believe it or not! I'm hoping it's a simple fix with the box but we shall see!
Well either way that's a no no as they stretch anyway + I have NEVER fitted a normal bolt instead of a proper bolt, there's no need I probably still have spares in amongst all my parts now. If you need Ian's number for the gearbox just let me know. In fact that box hasn't been 'rebuilt' it was checked over when I think about it but Ian said it was perfect, obviously a few seals were changed while apart but that was it, it drove fine and got some serious stick but had regular oil changes. Bear in mind that was probably 2010/2011 though before the new engine went in the car.
Russ

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Shame about all the faults and problems, I have to agree with Russ Rallye though, Ian's workmanship is 2nd to non (I'm sure its the same guy we use, never got to know his name though haha!), every box we have sent there has been faultless..

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
No doubt. A lot of s**t can happen and buying private it's the chance you take. Im
not saying anything about the previous owners or work that's been done - I'm sure it would be of good quality, I think I've just been a little unlucky.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
No doubt. A lot of s**t can happen and buying private it's the chance you take. Im
not saying anything about the previous owners or work that's been done - I'm sure it would be of good quality, I think I've just been a little unlucky.

Could be worse... Customer of our bought a car, day later s**t a rod, fitted new engine, week later turbo died, fitted a new turbo and the gearbox shat itself a few days after that! Bad month for him!

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Once its all sorted and as you want, ul soon forget all the problems and niggles as your kicking its pan in on track/down the B roads!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Today I lost reverse gear.

Im a positive dude but this is starting to take the piss.

Id have been better getting one from the scrappers.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I think you should just give it to me and be done with it ;)

Inferno 182 & Saxo
when you lost the gearbox oil, were you driving?
If it were me i'd be inclined to pop the box out (if its a cd90 rallye one) and just fit another vts/gti/1.1/whatevers cheap in its place then rebuild the rallye box. Best of luck with it

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
It's looking like the Box will have to be rebuilt.

Ive got no love for the car. It literally breaks EVERYTIME I drive it and that's not an exaggeration! Had more problems with this one then I have had with the four others I've owned altogether.

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
Rallye boxes are what make s1's though so I want to keep it if I can.

I shall leave it for a while and see if it rekindles my enthusiasm.

yeecup

ClioSport Club Member
  mk8Fiesta ST,172 cup
Agency transmissions rebuild boxes quite cheap and have good rep?