ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Russ's new toy - Lotus content

53 Clio's & counting
Nice one mate. Will be up to see you soon!

You best be! ;)

very very nice. love these

cheers fella

Looks great Russ, glad you got one! Lotus' are heromobiles!

Again, big thanks to all your advise fella, I love it!

very nice mate, love them.
take it i wont be seeing you at santa pod in it though lol.

Your joking right - my mate has done a 14.1 at Pod in his S1 Elise - Iv gotta beat that!

53 Clio's & counting
Small update:

Had glorious sunshine today, so did a round trip of Malmesbury to Bristol, then the back roads from Bath to Malmesbury then on to Cirencester, then back roads home - about 100 miles or so and the car is fantastic!

The section from Bath to Malmesbury is brilliant, a lot of slow 2nd/3rd corners with plenty of slow and fast left/rights, was good fun!

As said performance is a little quicker than the Clio up to 80, but corning is another world! Slow in and fast out and im coming out the corners 15-20 mph faster than in the Clio and im not anywhere near the limit of the car.

Need to get some driver training in to get a feel of where the limits are.

marc1330

ClioSport Club Member
  Hill lover
Spot on that lad. Been thinkin of one of these when i move the cup on next year

Lotus Elise 111R
Another Clio 172 to Elise owner here, great choice. I went with the S2 111R, daily driven it for three years, as well as many track days and european jaunts, proving fantastically reliable and offering year round roof off fun.

The Elise, having owned an S1 prior to it, was the only car I could bring myself to sell my Monaco for which I loved.

Enjoy, and get some training as soon as possible, you will not believe what these little plastic cars can do until you are shown where the limit is, or more importantly, when you have gone beyond it!

53 Clio's & counting
Lol cheers fella, yes I hope to get a bit of training asap, still learning how the car behaves at the mo, but loving it!

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Bloody awesome cars!!

I also prefer the S1 over the S2 if im honest.

Re: the wet, my mate Hamish ran Hanc**k RS2's at the Llandow track day in the pissing rain & he was just as quick as the clio's. They go plenty fast in the damp, you just need big balls ;)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Awesome choice Russ, great colour combination too :)

Perfect step up from the clio in terms of a 'toy' imo.

Lotus Exige, 182
I've been looking at these for the past month, and there's one up on pistonheads that keeps on catching my eye. Azure blue, 99 T, 54k miles and less than 8k. I'm seriously tempted, the problem is that I'm not sure how it will cope living outside on my drive over the winter months. If I had a garage, I'd have it snapped up. Maybe an S2 would be more sensible in this scenario. Any thoughts Russ? Does your leak?

Yours looks good btw! 80k miles is a bit too much for me though, otherwise I'd be looking very hard at WillB's S2 Racetech!

ETA: This:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1820611.htm

and this:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/2028686.htm

Turbos.
I've been looking at these for the past month, and there's one up on pistonheads that keeps on catching my eye. Azure blue, 99 T, 54k miles and less than 8k. I'm seriously tempted, the problem is that I'm not sure how it will cope living outside on my drive over the winter months. If I had a garage, I'd have it snapped up. Maybe an S2 would be more sensible in this scenario. Any thoughts Russ? Does your leak?

Yours looks good btw! 80k miles is a bit too much for me though, otherwise I'd be looking very hard at WillB's S2 Racetech!

and this:

It will leak.

I recommend a shopping trip to North Face and an investment in towels for the sills :)

and this:

Slightly different, but I had a VX220 over a winter and it leaked, but not that badly. Had a towel in the car and only needed to use it a few times. I think S1s are meant to be worse though.

53 Clio's & counting
Bloody awesome cars!!

I also prefer the S1 over the S2 if im honest.

Re: the wet, my mate Hamish ran Hanc**k RS2's at the Llandow track day in the pissing rain & he was just as quick as the clio's. They go plenty fast in the damp, you just need big balls ;)

Lol I need a good while to get used to it, been using a few roundabouts in anger and its weird to feel the back end twitching so precicely(sp) with such small throttle imputs :)

Lovely, just wish I'd fit in one

EDIT: You're the same height as me... Seriously you fit in?

Yes mate, I have a good 2 inches head room with the hood on too.

Awesome choice Russ, great colour combination too :)

Perfect step up from the clio in terms of a 'toy' imo.

Exactly what I was after, cheers mate :)

and this:

Iv not left it in a downpour yet, but as long as you get the roof on right, and it maktches up to the seals then it will be mostly fine, it seems a lot of people have a few small problems like a poor fitting roof, worn door seals, window glasses not fitted right etc - everything needs to line up right, once it has they are not as bad as people make out :)

Oh, and it really is buy on condition not miles mate, there are a lot of things that need doing to keep these up and running nicely, and I founds some of the lower milege ones had missed recalls, or were on a lot of original parts - things can wear out quickly which was why I was happy with the miles - the service history goes right back to the original sales invoice and has had a lot of wear and tear items done.

And I prefere the S1's to S2's ;)

Last edited:

Ad

MK2 FRS
Roof leakng is all about the adjustment My soft top is perfect, however the hardtop has a little leakage and will require adjusting.

172 Flamer

and this:

I've had my S1 since 2006 and they do all leak, some worse than others but they are fine as a winter car. Mine sits outside the house with no problem, totally covered in snow for the last two Xmas's with no problem. You can get a great car cover from Specialized or a shower cap which is a must really. The important thing is to not let it sit there doing nothing as the battery will die so just drive it once or twice a week or get a trickle charger. Also remember that there is no difference really between the S1 and early S2's apart from the looks. They both have the same interior and both have the Rover engine which is prone to head gasket failure. Its when the S2 changed over to the Toyota engine around 2004 I think that things really changed. The S1/early S2 is really hardcore and very stripped out. No carpets, stereo, adkustable seat etc. Its like a stripped out road going race car. The S2 with the Toyota lump is heavier, slower, more stable, lower door sills and had things like carpets, cup holders and stereo added. Its also more reliable but less hardcore. My S1 has been great and I've done about 5 trackdays with no problem. Just remember that they are twitchy and not practical but awsome fun.

That blue S1 is great on Pistonheads and a good price. The other one with 81k is a little steep for mileage. My S1 is from 1996 and only has 45k on it. I would try and get one with lower mileage like the blue one on Pistonheads.

172 Flamer
Cheers mate, Iv just been out for an hour, god the lights are shocking lol

HAHA welcome to being an Elise S1 owner. They are bloody awful the lights but you get used to it. In contrast, you noticed that you got no sun visors. Bloody pain in the arse when the winter sun is out or with the roof off in the summer and a baseball cap won't help much :)

Oh and get yourself a hurricane induction kit as they make a lovely sound. What exhaust have you got on it?

53 Clio's & counting
Its a Bell and Colville mate, throaty but not very loud in the car, which is quite a shock coming from my Yozzsport'd Clio lol

I tend to drive with the Sun level with the top of the screen to block it out lol

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
I keep looking at S1's at the moment. Looks like you found a minter! The standard 118 bhp model is a wise buy as well. Yes the 111S has more go but it also has alot more mechanical issues. Sounds like you did well finding one with a B&C exhaust as well. A company close to my heart....i used to work for them!;)

If you need any tech support, drop me a PM. I know these things pretty well!