ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Running in a Clio 200 - what to do now?

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
Evening everyone,

I've got a new Clio 200, the dealer said I shouldn't not rev it past 3,500 for the 650 which I have now done.

Question is what should I do now? Am I OK to give it some beans now or do I need to raise the rev limit gradually? Any advice greatly received.

Cheers,

Patrick

M

mini-valver

As above. 3rd gear up a hill with a decent amount of throttle. Put it under load as often as you can for a few hundred miles then start to really rev it. Dont drive everywhere on the limiter but revving it to 6-7k will do it the world of good.

E90
Running in modern cars is absolute tosh, if its warm its good to go, all my cars have been leathered hard from new. The golf gti was run in lapping the ring, and it never broke in 70,000 miles.

It's a performance engine they are designed to work at stress

2=clio 200
I think it depends what you intend to do with the car. If you want to keep it for a long time, I recommend you gradually work it up to max revs; in addition perhaps an oil change around 1000 miles. If you intend to have it for a short time. Then drive it have you want. Let the next owner worry about it.

White Sti Hatch
Like all have said, Once warm give it death ! if your that concerned change the oil now then again in 500,1000 miles

I think the running in is also to ensure you bed the breaks in, scrub the tyres off its etc etc so you don't kill yourself on the first corner out of the showroom.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I never seen the point in running in, you have 3 years warranty, how often do you hear of engines "wearing" out anyway.

Iceberg 172
Definitely do an oil change at a 1000 miles.

Brand new engine, metal rubbing against metal, means lots of small particals in the oil.

Speak to Motorbike owners about running in engines... They're proper anal about it. My brothers new GSXR 750 is now just run in at a 1000 miles and it's had 2 oil changes!

Mondeo STTDCI
On my 182 I gave it death from day one. Was FAST.

Get an oil change early on, say 1000-2000 miles.

And make sure its warm before caning it of course. Enjoy.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
Mine has burnt no oil and seems healthy, I did no continuous high revs, generally below 4k rpm for the first 1000 miles with occasional higher rpm blast to near the red line as more miles went on.

Then as it neared the 1000 miles I did 700 miles in one day driving down to South of France with varied driving, it has continued to get better and now has 2900 miles :)

White Sti Hatch
Oil change at 1000 you might as well tip money down the drain

yeah if your daft enough to take it to a dealer !

Im on about if you thrash it right out the show room change the oil at 500 then 1000 to clean out and metal bits then continue on as Service intervals are ! itll cost you what £80 in oil and a couple hours of your time :S

AG 200
had mine from new. didn't red line it too much for the first couple of hundred miles then gave it the beans from then on and it has got better and better! ;)

E90
Do all 172/182's come with Metal bits in the engine from new as standard? Weirld my 172 had its oil changed at 30,000 km first service, was hammered flat out up the autobahn every single week, and ran onto 90,000 miles in 3 years, with not a single engine issue, I guess I must of been lucky, LOL This forum needs help.

I have been on this forum 5 years, and I've rarely if ever seen an "engine blown up" thread. I'd be more worried about the rest of the shizzle you having on a clio falling apart.

Turbo LY R27
My R27 engine blew up, 57 reg, 47k on the clock, always serviced on time, always warmed before given death and boom. Threw a rod. Was gutted, but thinki was a one off. Getting mine back soon, deciding whether to bed it in or give it the odd accoasional blip to 6/6.5 revs. I intend on keeping it for ages btw.

RB 182 cup
as said really give it lots of full throttle not to the limiter tho and also use the revs to slow the car down. doing this forces the piston rings harder against the bore creating a better seal and there for more power.

as for the oil change. do it at 1000 miles as during running small metal particles with be created in the oil from all the new parts 'running in' which you dont really need floating around your engine.

E90
My R27 engine blew up, 57 reg, 47k on the clock, always serviced on time, always warmed before given death and boom. Threw a rod. Was gutted, but thinki was a one off. Getting mine back soon, deciding whether to bed it in or give it the odd accoasional blip to 6/6.5 revs. I intend on keeping it for ages btw.

You considered buying something well built if you plan on keeping it, I'd heard the glue they stick clios together with bio-degrades after 4 years.

320d
Speak to Motorbike owners about running in engines... They're proper anal about it. My brothers new GSXR 750 is now just run in at a 1000 miles and it's had 2 oil changes!

To be fair there is a big difference between a Clio engine that revs to 7.8RPM and a bike engine throwing out 200bhp per litre reving to over 15000 RPM.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Id kick its hole in from the word go, these engines are tested from the factory, why would revving it hard make any difference...?

Oil temperature gauge FTW. I picked my chariot up with 3 miles on the clock, waited until the oil was hot, and gave it ultra extreme death. Running-in is for steers & queers.

Plus, I promise you it was redlined across the docks from stone cold with 1/2 a mile on the clock. If it caused any damage, the damage is already done.

EDIT: Do Clios not have an oil filter BTW?

Last edited:
  E90
Oil temperature gauge FTW. I picked my chariot up with 3 miles on the clock, waited until the oil was hot, and gave it ultra extreme death. Running-in is for steers & queers.

Plus, I promise you it was redlined across the docks from stone cold with 1/2 a mile on the clock. If it caused any damage, the damage is already done.

EDIT: Do Clios not have an oil filter BTW?

No they don't have an oil filter, One of the only cars in the entire world not to have one, hence the need to change the oil everytime theres a day in the week, so the engine doesn't implode from the buts and bolts rattling about in it.

DMS

A thirsty 172
Give it death from day 1. It makes it faster.

Running in modern cars is absolute tosh, if its warm its good to go, all my cars have been leathered hard from new. The golf gti was run in lapping the ring, and it never broke in 70,000 miles.

It's a performance engine they are designed to work at stress

On my 182 I gave it death from day one. Was FAST.

/close thread.

Renault Clio 182 Trophy
Cheers for all the replies guys.

Lots of different opinions but I know which route I'm going to go down -taking the back roads home after work tonight!

Black Clio GT
mines been given death from day one , done 10k now and just had an oil change and wasnt black and no crap in it either.

get pressing that loud pedal........

Albi 200
I'd intended to run it in "by the book" I lasted to exactly 200 miles and now I drive it HARD all the time.

Man up an use your revs ;)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Once it's up to temp. Drive it as you would normally.

The chaps at the import centre already have.