ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rs tuner Ron 98 remap

Clio cup 172
I have been told that my Clio 172 has Ron 98 remap but I'm not so sure. The idle steadys out about 650rpm and is quite lumpy which I thought remap got rid of, although from cold, the car runs surprisingly well. My old cup
172 was awful until warmed up. What the most obvious way to know?
I don't know anyone with rs tuner before anyone suggests that

I would hate to go and purchase the tuner and map to find out it's already been done

Cheers

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Hell yes it transformed the car, much more balls lower down, smoother idle, higher rev limit, better drivability, I put it back to the standard map once because i'd got so used to the 98ron it had become normal, f*ck me it felt broken on the oem in comparison.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Yes I have one of the original units, but other than reading fault codes it's useless on any other car other than mine as it's locked to my ecu, they all end up locked to one car unless you but a licence to unlock it, but it then becomes locked to that car and become useless to the original owner.

In short an RST can only remap one car.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
No you just buy the unit from Fast Chip, they e-mail you the map to install and you get a free licence code.

Very easy to do yourself.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
It does not sound like the car is mapped, I was told mine was but it wasn't, a very kind person cough cough @imprezaworks let me use his to check I could send you one to check if your really unsure.
Ron 98 map made a huge difference to mine

Clio cup 172
Hi, thanks for reply. What would be sending me? The map? How do I check?
I contacted henk and he said something is wrong if it idles at 650rpm. What could cause a low idle?

I had a cup 172 years ago and this one feels quicker but can't be sure.

If it idles at 650 its fooked.
Buy new saves the hassle, i personaly haven't used a tuner in a couple of years so bet its all changed now

Clio cup 172
I have noticed my coil pack and ht leads are genuine. 85k miles. It hesitates above 5k revs when on cam, So might change change leads as new coil pack has made no difference

Clio cup 172
I will check rev limit today. Dont think it's 7600 tho. Really don't think it has 98 Ron remap although it does go well. Starting to hope it doesn't because any increase in drivability would be brilliant. I feel it is torquey enough down low and if the map gave it more down low grunt I would be well happy. I've had all sorts of cars in the past, mapped 530ds, type r civics, mr2 turbos, but there is just something special about jumping back into a Clio. Seem to feel quicker than all these cars, even if it's not

Clio cup 172
It seems my Rev limit is 7200rpm so mustn't have Ron 98 map. This spluttering/hesitation i am having around 5000rpm onwards is really annoying me now. Changed coil pack, no difference. Don't want to throw money at new ht leads as I dont think this is the problem. The voltage is the same at all revs. Surely it would break at any Rev, not just high? Any other ideas out there?

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
The issue with injector might be at high load, have you check the spark plugs, anything other than the correct ones can cause issues, failing that take it to a decent garage might end up cheaper than replacing part after part

Clio cup 172
I have put in brand new ngk spark plugs, the correct ones, got it fully serviced as well as new coil pack but it still splutters at high load. It does get to the Rev limit and doesn't seem to be down on power but just gets there unevenly with flat spots if you know what I mean. Idle is very low as well as I said on previous post. Would dodgy injector do this? I could buy one injector and change it from one cylinder to the next

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
Im not sure about the injector, is the egg shaped gasket on the inlet ok ? that can cause issues aswell, check the maf sensor its related to idle and running issues

Clio cup 172
I take it you mean map sensor? I disconnected this last week and idle was a lot better. It sat at about 900 rpm and wasn't lumpy at all. Car did not run any worse with it disconnected although it still spluttered

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I had a misfire around 2800rpm on mine, and I changed the coil and no fix, checked the plugs and they looked fine, tested all the injectors, then bit the bullet and bought a set of magnecor leads from here, and that was what fixed it.

RichieJA

SCAMMER !!!!
  clio 172
I take it you mean map sensor? I disconnected this last week and idle was a lot better. It sat at about 900 rpm and wasn't lumpy at all. Car did not run any worse with it disconnected although it still spluttered
Well if it fixed your idle problem thats likely what's wrong

Clio cup 172
Are map sensors known to go on these? Needed a screw driver to take it out of plenum so obviously never been removed.
It was a bit dirty looking when I shone a light into it

Clio cup 172
It was surprisingly dirty looking inside. When disconnected the car struggled to start and kept dying on me.

Last time I tried it, it started and drove no problem. You wouldn't have even known it was disconnected

Clio cup 172
I have spoken with a mechanic giving him the symtoms as well as the 600rpm idle. Without seeing it, he was thinking cam timing is out. It's due a belt change. Last change was June 09, 60k miles ago. Could the timing has slipped a tooth?

Are crank sensors prone to failing?

The car starts on the button. Only spluttering is higher up revs. Normal driving, you'd think the car is going 100% apart from low rough idle