ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS Tuner - downloading maps help

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
at the risk of sounding stupid why cant i find where to download the remaps from fastchips site?

the instructions say On the Fastchip.nl ECU calibration download page all files are named xxxx_xxxx

but i cant find that page?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i thought it came with a standard map or do i have to just pay for the correct one?

GW200 FF
You mean the RSTuner? I think there is something on the site that refers to a stage1 map being included in the cost of a new tuner, but not sure if this harks back to the days when all the maps were free on the site. Its changed now so you just have to establish the correct map for the car, either just a .cal file or an rst and cal file and buy them off the site.

Cheers

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
gee its like rocket science...

manual says

On the Fastchip.nl ECU calibration download page all files are named xxxx_xxxx. The first 4 digits mark the software version, which tells the ECU what to do. The second 4 digits mark the calibration version, which tells the ECU how to do things. So if you see a file named 6400_2A07.rst it tells you, its software version 6400 and calibration version 2A07.

Now, how to determine the correct file download for your car?

Let's assume you have a 172 Clio II. Connect to the car with RSTuner and look at the status bar after connection is established. Here you can see the car's VIN: VF1 CB15 0629638376.

Go to the proper download directory on the ECU calibration download page, according to the car's type designation. In this particular case CB15.

Now look which software version the ECU is running. The first 4 digits, remember? You can find this on the ECU information tab. In this case 6400.

mine starts VF1CB22

and software version is 8100

so if im going for a total ecu remap according to the manual

Examples total ECU reprogramming (.rst file Write ECU)
  • 6100_2AB0 --> 6500_5404 OK
  • 6400_2A07 --> 6500_5404 OK
  • 6100_2AB0 --> 7300_5B10 NOT OK CAUTION
  • 8000_7802 --> 8100_7803 OK

so i need a 8100_7803 file??

am i on the right lines here?

GW200 FF
hi,

You are on the right lines - sort of!

The cal files for the 182 are either the standard performance cal or the overrun cal (pops and bangs). Both cal files are listed here in the calibration performance section: http://www.fastchip.nl/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=20&Itemid=26 and start 8200_7804.xxx

The fastchip manual talks about uploading cal files
"to perform a partial ECU reprogramming (.cal file Write CAL) you need to have a .cal file that begins with the same software version number, in this case 6400_xxxx.

Examples partial ECU reprogramming (.cal file Write CAL)
  • 6400_2A07 --> 6400_5400 OK
  • 8100_7802 --> 8100_7803 OK
  • 9100_4008 --> 9100_4005 OK
  • 6100_2AB0 --> 6500_5404 NOT OK CAUTION "
so in your case you couldn't use either of the cals listed on the site YET, because your software version is 8100 and the cal files need 8200. So in your case you need to upload an RST file to do a complete ECU rewrite which will bring your software version from 8100 to 8200, allowing you to use either of the cal files listed above.

The RST file you need is in the OEM calibration section of the site, which is here http://www.fastchip.nl/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=18&Itemid=26

This was the case with my car vin on cb22, but it goes without saying that this advice is offered without any warranty and ecu programming is done at your own risk!

So, in a nutshell (re reading this :) ) upload the oem 8200_7804 rst file, then either of the 8200_7804 cal files. think you can only safely use pops and bangs with a decat though.

Hope this helps!

David

In this case;

step1 )

Update to 8200_7804.rst, takes about 30 minutes.

step2 )

Upload the performance cal, 8200_7804.cal, takes about 3 minutes.

All done, Easy huh ?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok thanks uploading to the car now - i did pick the right one ;)

so does this pops and bangs thing work with a fully standard car etc...?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
In this case;

step1 )

Update to 8200_7804.rst, takes about 30 minutes.

step2 )

Upload the performance cal, 8200_7804.cal, takes about 3 minutes.

All done, Easy huh ?

doing the .rst now.

whats the purpose of step 2?

GW200 FF
step 1 only gives you the standard car performance, albeit on an updated software version. If you want the performance map (which is probably why you bought the tuner!) then you still need one of the cal files from step 2. The performance cal 8200_7804 (not overrun or pops and bangs map) removes the 5k kick and gives you much better midrange punch lower down the rev range.

If you dont apply step two its like buying an rstuner to do a bios update on your ECU - without the map you'll see no performance benefit!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
i didnt make sense to me until this thread to be honest, as im sure you gathered.

glad it helped others to

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok just been for a drive and the first thing that is 100% noticable is the car is smoother. when driving everything just feels smoother.

as for increased speed or pulling in certain gears its very hard to tell cos your wanting and expecting it etc...
think the throttle is more responsive though.

worth the money

GW200 FF
Yeah, My first impression when I did the map was that it felt like someone had lopped a big weight off the back of the car, throttle felt more urgent and much more ready to go. Wait till it's properly warm and it'll rev freely all the way to the limiter too. Definitely an improvement over standard!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
can you run the overun on a standard exhaust

just driven from a cold start and well its gone... amazing worth every penny just to get ride of that

Rb 182
I have a quick question. Im about to buy rs tuner. Iv been researching alot. I understand that when you buy one it comes with a map. Do i haveto email the site telling them my mods etc so i get the right map? And is it only possible to write one cal file to the ecu at a time. Say i couldnt have the overrun cal and the launch control at the same time?

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I have a quick question. Im about to buy rs tuner. Iv been researching alot. I understand that when you buy one it comes with a map. Do i haveto email the site telling them my mods etc so i get the right map? And is it only possible to write one cal file to the ecu at a time. Say i couldnt have the overrun cal and the launch control at the same time?

You don't get any maps with the licence. And IIRC you can run the overrun and launch control together.

I have purchased 2 maps from Fastchip/ Henk, the 98 Ron performance map, and the overrun map.

LY R26 #288
you can run the launch control and overrun, but the launch control is an ecu software file (.rst) which you have to load first and then the overrun cal file. There's only 2 maps for the 182, performance map, or performance map with the overrun add on and you have to purchase them. There's no files for specific mods.

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi there.

Ive just received my rs tuner that i bought from here.

Ive bought a code, unlocked it and plugged it into the car. Ive read through the manuals and im still a bit stumped.

My software version is 8100 so does this mean i have to upload the new software to take it to 8200 ?

When i look on the download page for OEM, i see two different files;

cal 8200 7A04 OEM download link

or

cal 8200 7804 OEM download link

Which one ?

Thanks, Sam!

Audi TT 225
7803 from screenshot is the calibration version, so 8100_7803 is what we have. Ill just go look up on fastchip site the right file :) 2mins

Audi TT 225
rst 8200 7804 OEM is what you want.
so yes that is the right file you linked :)

8100_7803 -> 8200_7804 = OK