ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS Monaco Clio surprise (Renault Clio R.S.16)

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
If we use the megane as a template, the 250, 265 and 275 have all been updated production models based on the same megane, there no reason they couldn't apply this logic to the clio? I suppose much like the 172 into the 182.

This isn't just a simple update though. Fitting a whole new engine and transmission is a major reworking of the vehicle. If it's required repositioning of components in the engine bay, such as intercoolers, PAS gumph, brake parts, it would effect crash performance. The bigger engine might mean different interaction with the passenger compartment, or altering the way the front end crushes. Even if the external engine geometry is the same, the change in engine/transmission weight alone will effect crash performance. The new body work could also effect pedestrian protection. The amount of work that goes into crash-worthiness alone is unreal.

I'm not that familiar with how similar the Megane parts are to parts that might have already been used in other Clio models, but if the engine and box shares little with other Clio engines and boxes, then there are an awful lot of legislative hoops that they might have to jump through in order to sell the car. That's before you consider durability testing, NVH testing and all the other stuff they will be having to think about.

If they plan on making 10,000 of them, then those costs are much easier to justify, but if they only make 1000, they either have to suck up a huge loss on each car for the benefit of marketing, or make the cars uber expensive.

I might be proved wrong, they might go for a full-on mass produced model, but I don't know if I can see them doing that. I don't know what they'd have to gain from it. All I'm saying is that it's very easy to underestimate the cost to produce a car like this for retail, so it might not be the magic bullet that some people are hoping for. As I say, I shall reserve judgement until more information comes out.

Last edited:

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Only have to wait till Friday, but my money is on it being an exclusive limited run.
Although you would think they'd release it towards the end of the models life, and we've had the Mk4 for less than 4 years now so the timing is slightly weird.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'll actually be amazed if they sell the car with the 275 running gear. I'd say I'd buy one immediately if they did- but I probably wouldn't. It would go like a bloody bullet!

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
Surely this is to combat the new golf clubsport? If that's the case then it's got to under cut the price of that. 31k iirc

Mid -late 20k's??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Thing is though. If you were in the market for a Golf, you're not likely to be considering a Clio now are you. Especially if it's a bonkers edition.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
The same way if you're in the market for a hot hatch you're not going to consider over 30K for a Clio no matter how quick or Yellow it is.
but if it's a limited 500/1000 run they'll all sell, someone will buy em.

Fiesta ST2
heres putting 1+1 together and getting 3. 100bhp more? :p

rs100%252B.png

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Why couldn't they just tune the 1.6 to 275bhp? Peugeot's 1.6 makes 270ish so why put an old engine in at all? Surely the engine in the forthcoming Megane RS will be newer, cleaner and more powerful. The more i think about this the more it looks like a marketing car.

Suzuki Jimny
Loads of megane engines left, plus they are proven over 16+ years as the F4R. Tuning a 1.6 would take an awful lot of money and time.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly, using a 16 year old engine is a backwards step. Don't try convince me that renault can't get 250+ from the 1.6,or that the next Meg will use the current 2.0t motor. Manufacturers need to move forward, especially as the price keeps going up.

SQ5
The F4R block has been around longer than 16 years!

It's a great engine and one they still use so why wouldn't they?! Rather than use an engine that hasn't been played with before and unknown reliable power figures, F4RT is proven to run 300 reliably.

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
This isn't just a simple update though. Fitting a whole new engine and transmission is a major reworking of the vehicle. If it's required repositioning of components in the engine bay, such as intercoolers, PAS gumph, brake parts, it would effect crash performance. The bigger engine might mean different interaction with the passenger compartment, or altering the way the front end crushes. Even if the external engine geometry is the same, the change in engine/transmission weight alone will effect crash performance. The new body work could also effect pedestrian protection. The amount of work that goes into crash-worthiness alone is unreal.

I'm not that familiar with how similar the Megane parts are to parts that might have already been used in other Clio models, but if the engine and box shares little with other Clio engines and boxes, then there are an awful lot of legislative hoops that they might have to jump through in order to sell the car. That's before you consider durability testing, NVH testing and all the other stuff they will be having to think about.

If they plan on making 10,000 of them, then those costs are much easier to justify, but if they only make 1000, they either have to suck up a huge loss on each car for the benefit of marketing, or make the cars uber expensive.

I might be proved wrong, they might go for a full-on mass produced model, but I don't know if I can see them doing that. I don't know what they'd have to gain from it. All I'm saying is that it's very easy to underestimate the cost to produce a car like this for retail, so it might not be the magic bullet that some people are hoping for. As I say, I shall reserve judgement until more information comes out.
This....i'm betting on a one off for monaco .
Too much to do for type approval, and rules in france are much stricter than in the UK

gambit

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
No substitute for cubes, glad they are throwing the 2lt at it rather than tuning the 1.6lt

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Nothing is confirmed at this point. The pictures of a F4RT'd Mk4 could just be a custom job and the car on sale could just be a unique colour. I really hope it's everything that's rumored though.

Clio 172, Abarth 500
Holy s**t, not much details on price or production, but the car sounds amazing! 275bhp!!! that's mental in a car so small.

They mention it being comparable to the V6 in terms of engineering so i'm guessing it will be £££.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
Now they've released the specs I'd say it will cost a small fortune.. Sounds like a lot of work has taken place just to get it to work.

People who think this is gonna be under £30k maybe disappointed but I hope I'm wrong!