ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ride height - what is best?

CBR1K, F21 125D
Can you even get a dual perch design with extended top mounts on the RS fail boat?

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
Colin Satchell, Sandy Brown and myself work very closely on all things Clio but we all work for ourselves. Sandy is an absolute genious with everything engine related (wait to see what he's cooking up in the F4R department with us) and Colin is a machinist/fabricator extrordinaire. We try not to go down the same route as everyone else with tuning and try to do something a little new and different.

CBR1000RR Fireblade
i have been out in my 182 this afternoon. all i can say is; i cant wait till its been put back up and lowered about 30mm.
the ride is shocking.

seized coilovers FTL

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Colin did a great job on my Pug 205 :D
Are you going to be selling a clio version of his gearlevers then?

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Colin Satchell, Sandy Brown and myself work very closely on all things Clio but we all work for ourselves. Sandy is an absolute genious with everything engine related (wait to see what he's cooking up in the F4R department with us) and Colin is a machinist/fabricator extrordinaire. We try not to go down the same route as everyone else with tuning and try to do something a little new and different.

I'll keep an eye on your site then ;) To be honest, something new in the F4R arena is always nice to hear about, especially from someone who can get over 200ATW from a 1.6 ....

Oh, & the fact that you are all Cornish (like the best of us, cough cough) is all the merrier.

pure-motorsport

ClioSport Trader
  Clio 172
There may well be a gearlinkage in the pipeline, also some engine mounts and rose jointed adjustable front wishbone package.
I think it must be something to do with not getting out very much that makes us Cornish produce such good stuff!!;)

Golf GTD Mk7
Wrong, as that car stands there the car has 15mm front rake. (the car does not sit like this any more)

you are making the common mistake of measuring rake from arch gap.

Wasn't going off the arch gap, which is way to low regardless. Car just looks too flat to me ;)

Remember kids, if your car is too low the dampers wont have enough travel and the result is poor handling. ;)

What sam said :)

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86

Looking forward to all this ! Did you have some bike boddies for the F4R at some point on your site ?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Yup.

FYI, these are three of the best handling FWD cars ever:

4car2lg.jpg

2587_5599.jpg

car_photo_411523_25.jpg

:eek:

I always knew which way this thread would go.

SQ5
that has about 30 to 40mm front rake. spacers wont help the handling in any way and if anything the weight of the spacers will be increasing rotating mass. equal arch gaps are a common misconception of "rake" unfortunately thats not how it works.

car looks nice though, im assuming you are going for looks rather than handling with this set up?

You have VMaxx coil overs so I would say you can't criticise!

Equal arch gaps weren't planned just how it was, it's slightly different all the way around. I've used this setup on all three clios I've had, two predominantly track cars. Handled very well.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I need to adjust mine again as I've just replaced the fronts and will be going back down to 15"s tomorrow :)

I won't be going too low but definitely aiming for a bit of stance.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
How mine used to sit last time it was on 15's

SNV31056.gif

Will be going a touch higher this time though I think but keeping a bit of rake.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I'll be aiming for a similar stance as I'm sticking some OZ F1's on 15" on tomorrow :)

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
There may well be a gearlinkage in the pipeline, also some engine mounts and rose jointed adjustable front wishbone package.
I think it must be something to do with not getting out very much that makes us Cornish produce such good stuff!!;)

Absolutely champion, will keep an eye out for updates :D

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Hai :cool:

Still surprised on how it looks- handles, as I haven't touched the H&R's since completely stripping it out!

About how I want mine Fletch. Was running the rear as as high as the spring collars would allow :(

Have the spacers now though so can lift it a little.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
ASTs dude. Fronts feel a little soft (fine for road use mind) & rears have a quirky size spring so there's not sufficient pre-load at the minute. Rear spacers arrived today & upping the fronts 20n too, so hopefully it'll feel a little sharper next time out :)

xsp0429exposurelarge.jpg

TrackCar & F30 330d
I set my suspension up the proper way years ago

IMG_3208.jpg

Needs doing again really as the car is much lighter.

But if you want your car to handle well then you have to set up the coilover heights with where the weight is been placed.

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Remember kids, if your car is too low the dampers wont have enough travel and the result is poor handling. ;)

Exactly what I was getting at early on but someone decide to quote flawed aeronatuical aerodynamics theory instead.

TrackCar & F30 330d
LOL, I was corner weighting cars for crash testing 12 years ago ;) used to do our own stuff out of hours too :p

Haha I was playing with action man and toy cars 12 years ago! So you win!

Let me know if you get corner weighting scales in the next 6months and you can do my car :)

ph1 track weapon
Had my old one corner weighted and definitely felt a LOT more poised and responsive. Once the current one's how I want it I'll be getting it set up again

I have 60mm front and 45mm back with 16 inch wheels and 205 45 tyres and mine scrapes the arches and I even ripped the black protective covering around the arches to try and help and it's helped quite abit but still rubs on a sharp bend. going to higher them when abit of nice weather arrives.

182, 6r GTi
does anyone move/ modify the bumper brackets to stop them rubbing on corners? yet to see anyone tub there arches like allot do on driftworks