ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ride height for road and track.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I've just fitted some B14 coilovers to my clio. They're all currently sitting about mid point on the height scale while they settle, which is about 60 cm from the ground to the top center of the wheel arch.
Does anyone have any tried and tested ride heights they recommend? Back higher than the front? Driver's higher than passenger to compensate for fuel and my hairy backside?

20220323_103457.jpg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure what my exact heights are without measuring but my front control arms are parallel with the ground and the rear is slightly higher.
i use mine both on road and track and this allows a decent bit of wheel travel still. Ideally it wants corner weighting but I haven’t pulled my finger out to get it done yet.

Not sure if these pics help but you can see it on both 15s and 16s.

EAC07207-FAF1-438B-AC7D-242C6D4B4B2F.jpeg
F748CBB3-FD1A-4AC9-8D23-18B7650BCB2E.jpeg
63DCC5A1-A7E4-45E6-A125-979AAEAF9A94.jpeg
8D6C9E99-078A-409D-AD77-7D1BC4E67D28.jpeg

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Thanks @frayz. I'll work on getting the front arms parallel to the ground and the rear a cm or so higher. I'll stick something heavy in the drivers seat while I'm at it.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
If anyone else is thinking of doing this then this is a very useful thread:

Standard ride height for 182 | ClioSport.net

I've spent too long crawling round the car with a tape measure and a scrap of paper trying to work this out. The arms are parallel with the floor, and I'm on 195/50/R15 tyres.
Based on the instructions above my H1 and H4 measurements (Floor to centre of wheel) are 27 CM. As these are fixed it doesn't matter too much.
More importantly, H2: ground to bottom of subframe is 13.5 on passengers side, 14 cm driver side (with no one in the seat and with 1/8 tank of fuel).
And: H5, ground to centre pivot of rear trailing arm bush pivot is 25.5 CM passengers side and 26 drivers side.

So, since the front can't go any lower, especially without any roll centre correction, in order to get the right rake angle (as measured by the H5 to H2) I need to lower the rear by about 2mm on the each side. Assuming the heights don't change when I get in or put any fuel in.
To be honest, unless anyone says otherwise, I think this is within the margin of error...

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Set it and drive it. Go on how it drives over anything else mate. Mine isnt slammed but i still run the RCK kit and it does make a notable improvement to front end turn in.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I was trying to get it close to ok, but in the not too distant future I'll book a date with someone who actually know what they're doing with set up. I haven't given AW 60% of the purchase price of the car this year, so this might be an excuse to go back to Bardfield.