ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Revs dying immediately after startup

PH1 172 Sport
As soon as the engine has started the revs die off unless I blip the throttle. Then the car is fine and idles/runs as it should.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

PH1 172 Sport
The plugs, leads and coilpack were changed by the previous owner about 30k ago. I'm using shell optimax. Its only started doing it over the last couple of weeks. Ive tried everything obvious like cleaning the TB etc.

ibiza cupra
mine did this this morning, had to hold the key for about 4-5 seconds before it fired. but if i blip the throttle then its fine. just the standard lumpyness

PH1 172 Sport
Mine fires up after about a second then requires a blip and then its fine! Only does it when the outside air is warm. A bit of a mystery really!

If it was the idle control valve I would of thought it would have issues idling?

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
mine is the same, been appning since we had this hummid weather, start it up revs to about 1500 then drops and cuts out.

I just hold it at 1500 for 1-2 seconds ands its fine then

dci126 & H&R'd 1*2
Mine fires up after about a second then requires a blip and then its fine! Only does it when the outside air is warm. A bit of a mystery really!

If it was the idle control valve I would of thought it would have issues idling?

I suggested that because it seems like it's just Ph1's that suffer from this, well looking at this thread that is

275 Trophy
My ph1 does this also, but only when cold. It will also cut out on idle with full lock and looking at the service history, it's had these problems for a long time, nobody seemingly able to get to the bottom of it.

'02 Monaco Blue 172
Mine does sort of the oposite to this, it turns over fine and starts after a few cranks but the revs start off really low, as if its about to stall, then a few seconds later seem to pick up to normal!
I had a look at my spark plugs at the weekend and they def need replacing, they are covered in a white build up!

PH1 172 Sport
Mine does sort of the oposite to this, it turns over fine and starts after a few cranks but the revs start off really low, as if its about to stall, then a few seconds later seem to pick up to normal!
I had a look at my spark plugs at the weekend and they def need replacing, they are covered in a white build up!

They should be covered is a white/red build up. Unless its excessive.

PH1 172 Sport
This has been solved by changing the water temperature sensor. The gauge started fluctuating loads the other day and since changing it the sensor the car goes straight to idle after being started.

Ph1
Sorry to crash the thread but going back further up to post number 5. Can HT leads cause fluctuations in revs or idle?

Mine miss-fired due to the leads failing, was running ok idle / rev wise, changed the HT's to some second hand ones i had sitting about now the car plumits revs when i change gear to nearly stalling point regardless of in gear speed.

Car's needing mapped tho but was running ok 10 - 30 miles after the instalation of the cams. Not sure if its the leads or just needs mapped. Was ok prior to miss-firing so wondered if HT's can cause idle problems?