ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Respray

not sure if this is the right place to post but seems the suitable (i think)
anyway, how much would it roughly cost for a gd quality respray(whole car)? (mk2 ph2)

Punto/Clio GTT
colour change or just same colour respray?

from £600 upto £1500 for same colour, and for colour change, proper job, anything from £1500 to £2.5k

Punto/Clio GTT
or learn to prep?

we do mask n blasts for £300

which means you prep it all, we mask it, we paint it, we polish it

Punto/Clio GTT
depends on what needs doing to it.

if its dented to f**k then yea, it can be a right pain in the ass.

if its just a colour change then no, piece of piss

Clio MK2 (1.2)
well, i have a few dents in th bonnet, 1 scuff on the back n front bumper, then a colour change to ***** :)

Punto/Clio GTT
dents on bonnets can be a pain in the ass, a small dent can turn into a nightmare trying to feather it back and back and back.

if you wanna give it a go then do it, worst case scenario, you need a new bonnet ;)

FM-696... How much do ya recon for a full prep and respray on a 182 cup same colour..(metallic black?)...Not too much damage couple of dents on the front end from stones and a gouge out of the plastic front bumper fairly deep. Were are you based and how long would it take?

S2000
FM-696 - What do you have to do in terms of prep work if the bodywork is dent free? I've been told of a local place who can do a respray for a good price if I were to do the prep work myself but tbh I don't know anything about that sort of thing and want to find out exactly what I would have to do.

Punto/Clio GTT
hows the paintwork on the car?

few ways you can do it.

easiest way would be to just get a sander and either P320 or P400 the lot of the car, then go around the edges with a grey scotchbrite.

alternatively you could wetflat the whole car with P800/P1000 or P1200 which would take a while.

or if the paintwork is immaculate, you could just give the entire car a grey scotchbrite.

myself ide sand the lot down with P320 on a da

what you been quoted btw?

S2000
Thanks mate, much appreciated. I've not spoken to the guy myself but through a friend I've been told he can get them done for £300 and I've heard good things about the guys work.

Time wise how long would you say it should take someone to do what you were suggesting?

The car was actually resprayed about a year ago before I bought it but the laquer is peeling in some places and I'm just generally not too happy with it so I'm just considering a respray as an option.

Btw, would the procedure be any different if I wanted to go for a colour change or would it just be the same?

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Those Prices FM quoted are very good TBH, I take it for those colour change jobs, Thats not including the engine out and bay painting is it FM?

MK2 PH2 & E46 330
Thanks mate, much appreciated. I've not spoken to the guy myself but through a friend I've been told he can get them done for £300 and I've heard good things about the guys work.

Time wise how long would you say it should take someone to do what you were suggesting?

The car was actually resprayed about a year ago before I bought it but the laquer is peeling in some places and I'm just generally not too happy with it so I'm just considering a respray as an option.

Btw, would the procedure be any different if I wanted to go for a colour change or would it just be the same?

whered you find that? I could ask the guy that did my tailgate for you btw.

S2000

Its a guy just up the road from me, I need to find out more details first though to confirm what I've been told.

Who did your tailgate btw?

Colour change must be a fookin' 'mare? There are lots of areas of paint that you can see from inside the car. Not least, the engine bay as mentioned above, but you've also got the door frames, boot etc. etc. I'm no painter, but a proper colour change must be a lot of work.

MK2 PH2 & E46 330

Its a guy just up the road from me, I need to find out more details first though to confirm what I've been told.

Who did your tailgate btw?

funnily enough, someone just up the road from you! haha.

Guy called Matt does most of the paint side of things, but his brother Dave does alot too. They do the work at their garage in a mansion of a house, but theyve possibly just bought a warehouse now. Good guys with insane cars. One has an RX, the other an evo, and theyr also doing a 200sx drift project i think.

It's very possibly the same guys were on about.
Company is called Enhanced Bodystyling.

Punto/Clio GTT

yea we do mask n paints for £300 too.

same procedure, just where its flaking, really give it a good sand and feather it back as far as it needs to go, you may find it feathers in very quickly, or you could find yourself feathering back into the middle of a panel.

i prepped a range rover today which we had to put right, it had gone in to the dealer for them to do a repair on the side, they did the repair (piss poor) and blew into the front door.

the blow in was paethetic, it was just a solid line of colour pretty much. i tried to feather that back and it was just ripping back further and further, ended up just sanding the lot of it off.

for a full respray, your looking at 2-3 days.

if you want it prepped aswell its a week job.

Punto/Clio GTT
Those Prices FM quoted are very good TBH, I take it for those colour change jobs, Thats not including the engine out and bay painting is it FM?

tbh i dont think the gaffer would take on a proper full colour change unless the bloke was paying very very well.

too much hassle.

plus we dont have the facilities to drop the engine out, or have a mechanic to put it all back together lol

Punto/Clio GTT
Colour change must be a fookin' 'mare? There are lots of areas of paint that you can see from inside the car. Not least, the engine bay as mentioned above, but you've also got the door frames, boot etc. etc. I'm no painter, but a proper colour change must be a lot of work.

it aint that bad. ide just drop the engine out and mask brake lines etc, take off the doors and tailgate.

prep the inside of the engine bay, prep the door appatures, prep the tailgate appature, prep the boot floor, prep the inside of the doors while theyre off and prep the inside of the tailgate. then spray all that.

refit the doors/tailgate/engine and then its just a normal respray and can be masked up as normal

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
This mask and paint thing sounds weird, I have been painting all my life and have never heard of such a thing.How could you expect a non pro to do some decent prep, i would never paint something that had not been preped by myself or another pro.

Punto/Clio GTT
never heard of a mask & blast? hmm

you just worked in insurance approved bodyshops doing insurance work or something?

weve had loads in different bodyshops where someones prepped it then they just need it painting.

if the repairs s**t its not your problem, you just gotta paint it for them

RB 182
Where in the west mids are you based? How much would a full roof respray cost in Black/Gold? Also the whole car as im curious :)

Punto/Clio GTT
only just noticed you said roof lol

full respray would be around £700.

does the roof need repairing? why it need painting?

RB 182
only just noticed you said roof lol

full respray would be around £700.

does the roof need repairing? why it need painting?

There is a defect in the paint. corrosive bird poo or something... Its about 30X30mm patch, hasn't broken through but is prety obvious when car is clean. Can get a pic posted up later or pop over one dinner time

E46 M3, x2 GTT, RS250
Never really done a great deal of insurance work as its all about bouns and no one can be bothered to pump out a decent product.If you had a decent reputation you would never think of wrecking it if you painted some ones car and gave it back with a dent in it they would not be happy even if they did prep it.I could never look at a job that i painted and say thats not my problem.

Punto/Clio GTT
i got pride in my work, but i also have a child to feed.

if someone comes into the shop and says to me that the car is prepped and they just want it painted.. i aint gonna start f**king about with filler if they are happy with it am i? its costing me money and its coming out of my pocket.

TBh i only had 1 car that was poorly prepped, which was a nova, we painted it and it looked alright, the guy was over the moon. cost him £200.