ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Replacing std box with Viper

Clio 172 Ph2

Ive just fitted my viper (again), but this time I actually fitted the proper air feed - right to the lower grill.

I had to remove the big black plastic lump thats part of the existing air intake system so I could fit the ducting down to the bumper. The thing is, I noticed that there was a major hiss coming from the little electronic gizmo that I left in there with all the pipes attached to it.

If I put my finger over the hole the black lump used to be attached to, the engine note would change quite a bit, it seemed to rev lower. Having then blown and sucked at the tube attached to the black thing, I can see it should indeed be blocked - to make the car think the air vent in it is fully open.

So has anyone actually done this? - Blocked the pipe I mean? Im sure in the past Ive heard/read people just removed the entire unit so surely someone else will have noticed this hiss!

Also, if I use the pipe supplied with the viper to connect it to the engine, there is no hole for the other pipe to connect to and instead you get some little red breather thing. The trouble is, with that on, my car sounds like a chicken. Im not joking either, it really does!

The second I remove it, and let air into the pipe, the chicken noise goes away. Maybe my breather isnt a breather at all?!

Ford F-150 5.4 V8

what pipe you got to connect from the viper to the engine, you just use the standard air intake pipe!

Clio 172 Ph2

the black plastic lump is the bit the other end of the pipe connects to. You know, the one that you can actually see going into the std air box. It is just a valve really. Stops the cold air from the bottom vents going into the airbox.

As for the pipe to the engine, dunno, it was just some pink / red thing that came in the box.

Much more solid than the std one and a bit shorter.

Clio 172 Ph2

so you never touched the valve at the other end then.

You have to take either the bumper off, or the arch liner to get to it. Im sure youd remember if you saw it ;)

Ill get some pics of it tomorrow when its light again!

Clio 172 Ph2

blimey, you actually managed to get the pipe through there?!

Is yours in the front grill too then? from your last post, I thought youd just shoved the std air pipe into it?!

All I need to do now (besides taking pics) is to paint that alloy ring black! My car looks like a clown at the moment with a big red ring (nose) in the front grill !

So Ben, is that the best place for cool air? What happened to removal of that left foglight :)?

Did you also modify the ECU at the same time as adding in the PipercrossX? Did you say that ideally we should, (because it can run a little lean) but it does not cause any engine damage so theres no drama?

R

rich[182]

rb_172

cant visualise some of the components here, just had a quick look the pipe that goes into std airbox and it connects into another section of pipe located below passenger side headlight, seems to be bolted onto body of car, its difficult to get to as theirs some headlight related stuff like infront and on top of it

have you removed all this black plastic stuff from the car, howd you do it ?

never heard of this solenoid before and until now always thought everyone left the original feed pipe as it was, but just hanging there doing nothing, dont understand what the lower vents have to do with it

ps reckon you ought to get a shorter inlet hose so viper sits closer to bulkhead side of bay so your feed pipe hasnt got the kink in it

Clio 172 Ph2

Yes Ive removed the second section of pipe thats fixed onto the car via a gold coloured metal bracket.

To get at it, you must (I think) remove the wheel arch liner. Taking the bumper off will probably do the same but I think the arch liner is a bit easier! lol

The lower vents on the arch liner are what feed that std pipe. It gets channeled up through the pastic pipe you cant see properly / get to.

That plastic pipe has a gate / valve in the middle of it that the engine / ecu / whatever can open / close by either sucking or blowing air down the tube.

I guess when the car is starting, it closes the gate so it gets the warmer air from inside the engine bay.

The engine opens the gate by blowing air and only when the gate is fully open does the engine idle properly. Without that second black plastic pipe attached, the little solenoid thingy keeps blowing air out forever, probably wondering why the feck the gate isnt fully open yet! lol

Hope that all makes sense! Ill go outside and get some pics in a minute.

Quote: Originally posted by TypeRC on 14 February 2004

So Ben, is that the best place for cool air? What happened to removal of that left foglight :)?

Did you also modify the ECU at the same time as adding in the PipercrossX? Did you say that ideally we should, (because it can run a little lean) but it does not cause any engine damage so theres no drama?
I dont want the foglight out......so this is the easiest place.

THe ECU was modified yes, and IF your engine runs lean o too rich then you will need to rectify it for peak performance and reliability.

Either way can cause long term damage yes.

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 14 February 2004

rb_172

cant visualise some of the components here, just had a quick look the pipe that goes into std airbox and it connects into another section of pipe located below passenger side headlight, seems to be bolted onto body of car, its difficult to get to as theirs some headlight related stuff like infront and on top of it

have you removed all this black plastic stuff from the car, howd you do it ?

never heard of this solenoid before and until now always thought everyone left the original feed pipe as it was, but just hanging there doing nothing, dont understand what the lower vents have to do with it

ps reckon you ought to get a shorter inlet hose so viper sits closer to bulkhead side of bay so your feed pipe hasnt got the kink in it

That section is the solenoid part, have a close look as youll see the connection and vacuum pipe.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

what about using the silicon hose from hillpower.its a lot fatter than the original pipe and has an attachment for the breather.

Clio 172 Ph2

rich172, this is what that pipe has at the opposite end.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1076787715__IMG_0058.jpg

Obviously its not where its supposed to be in the above pic! lol

This is looking through that plastic bit - you can see the valve / gate type thing that gets opened / closed depending on if air is blown into / sucked out of the pipe attached to it.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1076787730__IMG_0066.jpg

This is it fitted. As you can see, its very red! Some black paint should sort that out! Hopefully it wont be so obvious then.

http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1076788108__IMG_0060.jpg

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 14 February 2004

what about using the silicon hose from hillpower.its a lot fatter than the original pipe and has an attachment for the breather.
You can use one if you want.

My was one of the first, if not the first, MK2 kit out before they came with silicone pipe and breather filter. We were doing trials for them.

Clio 172 Ph2

Ive had to return to the standard pipe which will do for now. I cant stand the chicken noise my engine makes when I have the breather filter on!

Seems to be working just fine so Ill stick with it.

do u think that when i get my exhaust fitted by k-tec they will locate my air feed in the correct place for me as im having trouble, i have a 1.2 16v and the wing area inside the bonnet looks different.

R

rich[182]

thanks but still dont get it all, doing my head in now LOL

how have you left it all ?

ps ive previously run the car with the pipe that connectd to airbox left pulled out about 2" from the airbox to improve noise, do you reckon this would affect the operation of the valve/flap thing

if you left the entire OE pipes etc intact and fitted a viper would it still operate correctly ?

Clio 172 Ph2

The viper ducting runs from the viper to the bottom grill.

To get it there I removed the std pipe completely and just unscrewed/moved the the plastic valve/gate. Its now sitting where you see it in the top pic! All the pipes are still attached to it so I dont get any hissing from it not being there.

Just take the wheel arch liner off and im positive everything will become clear!!!

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 15 February 2004

thanks but still dont get it all, doing my head in now LOL

how have you left it all ?

ps ive previously run the car with the pipe that connectd to airbox left pulled out about 2" from the airbox to improve noise, do you reckon this would affect the operation of the valve/flap thing

if you left the entire OE pipes etc intact and fitted a viper would it still operate correctly ?
What dont you get?

Clio 172 Ph2

Quote: Originally posted by rich172 on 15 February 2004

No, that wouldnt affect it at all.

Would what operate properly? The viper or the valve/flap? The valve / flap would be fine. As for the viper, well I guess that depends on where you route the cold air pipe. Is correctly having it take cold air straight from outside the car, or is it having it take air from anywhere it can?! I guess correct is down to the individual and what he/she thinks.

The one thing Ive noticed since linking mine up with the pipe taking air from the front of the car, the viper seems much quieter. Before it must have really been sucking at the air - giving it the noise. Now the air is kinda being shoved in an so I dont get so much of a sucking noise.

Im gonna go get my Dastek chip set up again now. I feel I ought to.