ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Sport Clio 182 - Best Car??!!

Black-Gold 182
Just a few reasons why the Renault Sport Clio 182 could be one of the best cars ever...

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times]Renault Sport Clio 182[/FONT]

Clio_II_sport182.jpg
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=+2]R[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]enault Sport Clio 2.0 RS has been proved a thorough success no matter in terms of market reception or press comments. However, the hot Clio does not want to rest on its laurel. It is now evolved into an even better car, Clio 182. The new car is even faster and better to control.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]The new name indicates a maximum horsepower of 182, 10 more than its predecessor. This is achieved mainly by improved breathing - both the new catalytic converter and exhaust manifolds contribute to freer air flow. Maximum torque remains unchanged at 147 lbft but it arrives 150rpm earlier. Anyway, the Renault Sport engine is still considered to be one of the most versatile 2-litre four-cylinder engines in the world. On the one hand, it can rev to 7200rpm without any complaints. On the other hand, 80% of peak torque is available from as low as 2000rpm, thanks to variable valve timing and variable intake manifolds. It is therefore more tractable than the rival engines from Honda and Peugeot. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Apart from engine, Clio 182 also received a chassis upgrade. To improve cornering stability, front and rear tracks are widened by 12 and 16mm respectively while wheelbase is extended by 13mm. A 10% increase of front spring stiffness, increased caster angle, revised rear dampers, stiffer anti-roll bars and wider 205 tires also contribute a lot to handling. As a result, the Clio 182 grips better, turns into corners sharper and displays less understeer. Best of all, the fun-playing progressive lift-off oversteer is still there. Surprisingly, the Clio’s fine ride quality is almost unaffected, thanks to the well-judged damper setup. This chassis modification is highly successful. [/SIZE][/FONT]

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
yes the 182 is truely amazing, it punches above its weight and as proven by racing ales beats porsches, fezzas and other more exotic cars hands down on a regualr basis.

it turely is remarkable.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I though 172 and 182 where identicle? Apart from exhaust and engine?

cup 182 mit stripes
Seb's being ironic, but why has he got such a downer on 182's? Cant be only because I've got one.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I though 172 and 182 where identicle? Apart from exhaust and engine?

no ;)

The changes between the 172 and the 182 aren't just about power and pretty exhausts, however. The chassis has undergone revisions that are more significant than they first appear. The front track (distance between wheels) has been increased by 12mm and the rear by 16mm; the wheelbase (between front and rear wheels) has also been stretched by 13mm. All this talk of millimetres may not seem much, but in essence it is pushing the wheels further out to the corners of the car, giving better stability and improved grip.

The suspension hasn't been left out either. Stiffer front springs (up 10 percent), and a thicker anti-roll bar at the rear (up 2mm to 24mm) grant 12 percent more stiffness overall. The castor angle of the front wheels has increased from 1.35 to 3 degrees - this helps to keep the wheels more vertical with the road under hard cornering. All these small changes, coupled with a newly designed, 10mm wider tyre co-developed between Renaultsport and Michelin, keep the 182 firmly pressed to the tarmac.

If all these handling and performance mods aren't enough, buyers can choose to have their cars fettled at the factory for an extra £200. This buys you the Cup chassis option which stiffens the suspension more, lowers the ride height by an insignificant 3mm, and strengthens the steering set-up by the use of larger-diameter bearings in the hub carriers. This keeps the front wheels at their desired steering angle when subjected to cornering forces and acceleration changes - so there's more feedback through the steering wheel. You'll be able to recognise a 'Cupped' Clio 182 by the new eight-spoke alloys finished in Anthracite (dark-grey) and fitted with stiffer sidewalled tyres.

Tangoed Works
I still love jumping in my 182 after a year and a half. i have the dosh to get something far more exotic, but this does the job so well!

Black-Gold 182
Sorry to change the subject ... but Ian is your Avatar from the film Chopper?

That film's crazy, I love it

i miss my 182 as well, got a s2k but its not the same... cant throw it around like a 182. Plus all it ever does in this country is rain and thats not a good recipie with a s2k. Sigh :-(

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
Seb's being ironic, but why has he got such a downer on 182's? Cant be only because I've got one.

oh come on! :D you love the banter really! ;)

i have always posted i love the 182 :)

may buy another one day, you never know! i like all rs :D