ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Renault Clio V6 Driver - video

Chelsea tractor
I don't really understand the physics of lift-off oversteer though tbh. Is it simply because the force pulling the rear around is lowered?
When you accelerate, the front wheels don't have so much grip as they are turning too. When you lift off, front wheels can grip more to turn and pop comes the lift-off oversteer. iirc?

I don't really understand the physics of lift-off oversteer though tbh. Is it simply because the force pulling the rear around is lowered?

Im not sure either really, im sure mark can explain in detail :)

Lift-of-oversteer is predominately caused by weight transfer. As you let off the throttle the car's balance is shifted forward (due to lack of acc'n & engine braking taking effect). As a consequence the load on the rear wheels is significantly lightened = reduced grip. Think of is as if you were braking hard in a straight line - the back end rises and the front dips, it does the same when you let off the fun pedal, just not to the same extent.

If you do this mid bend this entails so called 'lift of oversteer' as the back of the car goes light it has a tendency to move across laterally to the direction the car is traveling in.

The reason the car oversteers is that whilst the back has been lightened, the weight has been transferred forwards, providing the front wheels with more grip, so only the back slides. (You can actually use this technique quite effectively to aid turn in just before the bend if you know what your doing)

There are other factors involved but weight transfer is the biggy. Braking mid bend is another way to induce it, but of course the weight transfer is even more exaggerated so even more oversteer happens! This is one of the reasons why cars such as the clios have such ineffective rear brakes - if they are too strong braking midbend would instantly put the back end out, so they are set 90/10 or something along those lines to let you get away with it to an extent.

Hope that makes sense-ish...

Last edited:
No worries, amazing what you can learn from a few hours of tuition, some of the best £-age I have spent on my car yet!

DCi 100
No worries, amazing what you can learn from a few hours of tuition, some of the best £-age I have spent on my car yet!

Aye being in the car community does help alot, especially with just general knowledge. But they depend on people who are willing to share and not just say 'Search' to grow and develop I think.

My friend asked another if his mums Fiat Panda he was driving was RWD yesterday, I facepalmed.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I cant really say his driving is outrageous, just a little bit too fast for the traffic on the opposite side

Nice road though

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Lift-of-oversteer is predominately caused by weight transfer. As you let off the throttle the car's balance is shifted forward (due to lack of acc'n & engine braking taking effect). As a consequence the load on the rear wheels is significantly lightened = reduced grip. Think of is as if you were braking hard in a straight line - the back end rises and the front dips, it does the same when you let off the fun pedal, just not to the same extent.

If you do this mid bend this entails so called 'lift of oversteer' as the back of the car goes light it has a tendency to move across laterally to the direction the car is traveling in.

The reason the car oversteers is that whilst the back has been lightened, the weight has been transferred forwards, providing the front wheels with more grip, so only the back slides. (You can actually use this technique quite effectively to aid turn in just before the bend if you know what your doing)

There are other factors involved but weight transfer is the biggy. Braking mid bend is another way to induce it, but of course the weight transfer is even more exaggerated so even more oversteer happens! This is one of the reasons why cars such as the clios have such ineffective rear brakes - if they are too strong braking midbend would instantly put the back end out, so they are set 90/10 or something along those lines to let you get away with it to an extent.

Hope that makes sense-ish...

Bingo. Couldn't have put it better myself.

I'll add that mid corner lifting and the subsequent weight transfer will only really give you trouble if you're going for it, working it, leaning on the tyres.

Try giving it a lift on a slowish clear-sighted safe corner...great fun :approve:

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Isn't that just an average CS meet? Maybe he's a bit tame? Prob toward the back at a meet tbh.

Renaultsport 200
We have all given our sports the berries in 5 to 10 second birsts (motorway slip road is my fave) "GO GO GO"!!!!

Wouldn't do this, for this amount of time though.

BRAAAPPP!!

MCS R56
The guy driving is an idiot and anyone who thinks it's okay to drive like that on public roads needs shot.

Hopefully, he's been caught by now and is not allowed to drive again.

M2 Competition
LMAO at him being a good driver and those roads being safe.

Lots of oncoming vehicles and he spent much of the time in the opposite lane going round very fast partially sighted bends.

With a trailing throttle.

Muppet.

What i was thinking Mark.

Awful use of throttle, car doesnt look settled and bad timing with overtakes.

53 Clio's & counting
LMAO at him being a good driver and those roads being safe.

Lots of oncoming vehicles and he spent much of the time in the opposite lane going round very fast partially sighted bends.

With a trailing throttle.

Muppet.

Agreed, also him going the wrong side of the road round that traffic island - complete f-ing tool

172 phII
It aint smart driving but definitely not crazy. Hes having a bit of fun on a public road as I am sure a lot of people on this forum do.

Most definitely he should try to improve his driving skills and blow some steam on a track day ;)