ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Removing and Cleaning Brakes ?

White Sti Hatch
Right had my MOT the other week and the rears are a bit sticky so need to get them off and give them a clean the fact i cant get on any ramps bar the recessed MOT ramp i wanna do it myself and save the costs, plus i wanna be more hands on with the car than i was with my old bus.

So what i wanna know is what i need for getting them off etc if i need to replace anything after ive removed them and givin them a clean and waht to use to clean them up...

Any help would be grand.

Is the Haynes manual worth it if youve got a 182? I looked at one the other day, and on the back is specifically said is does NOT cover the RS models :(

wait and see ;)
decent tool kit and some knowledge of what you are doin would be a decent start:) brake cleaner and probly some copper grease to put on back of your pads

careful mate, id say if your not sure, leave it to someone who knows.you dont want to press hit your brakes at 70mph for nothing to happen

Ozzed Clio
i would get a friend in the know to help or go and watch a mechanic. thats a big no no if u dont know wat ur doing.

Megane dci 130
Just follow this guide.

1. Remove wheels
2. The caliper is on top of the disc on these, remove that by removing the 2 13mm pin bolts. (you will have to hold the 15mm hex to get them out)
3. Remove pads ( you may have to hammer them out)
4. Remove the metal shims on the carrier and clean them up.
5. Clean up where the pads sit on the carrier too.
6. Refit Shims
7. Clean up the straight edges of the pads and add copper slip to them and where the contact surfaces are on the backs.
8. Refit with a little loctite on the pin bolts.

Theres no real need to wind the pistons back either. Hope this helps.

Mk2 Clio dci
piece of piddle to do on your own mate.

take wheel off.
leave handbrake off.
2 10mms on the calliper.
removed pads and shims.
Clean carrier with wire brush and brake cleaner. removed shite from edge of disc with wire brush.
clean shims with wire brush and brake cleaner.
Clean pads and pad face with hemry (sp) paper and brake cleaner.
clean disc face with hemry paper and brake cleaner.
put copper grease on pads and hub.
Wind piston back slighty. (if replacing pads, wind back all way)
re-assemble, torque wheel to 105Nm, et voila!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
The wheels to 110nm the pin bolts to as tight as you can get them without snapping them.

Lmfao . How do you know exactly when they are tight enough to the extent they aren't going to snap ?? :quiet: There's nothing like a bit of crap advise is there .

Your wheels should be torqued up to 90Nm .

Ph1 172 + Combo van
just use common sense when doing up the bolts. not too hard so that you're going to snap them and not too loose that they will come undone.

As for the wheels, i use 100 lbs pressure. some people use more some less personal preference.