ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommend me a graphics card!

Better than yours. C*nt.
8800gt http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1008&name=Leadtek GeForce 8800 GT ZL OC 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

+1 Much more bank for buck than the ATI's.

Are you on drugs?

saph485cf_g_08.gif

4850 isn't too far behind the 9800GTX in an nVidia-favoured game, the 8800GT doesn't even get a look in!
http://images.tweaktown.com/imagebank/saph485cf_g_08.gif

172 Cup
+1 Much more bank for buck than the ATI's.

Are you on drugs?

saph485cf_g_08.gif

4850 isn't too far behind the 9800GTX in an nVidia-favoured game, the 8800GT doesn't even get a look in!
http://images.tweaktown.com/imagebank/saph485cf_g_08.gif

The 8800 GT offers incredible Geforce 8800 GTX-class performance at almost half the price. It beats both the Radeon 3870 and Geforce 9600 GT by a notable margin, and only costs a few dollars more. As far as raw performance goes, if you have $160 to spend on a graphics card, you couldn’t do better than a nice 8800 GT.

Source - Best Graphics Cards For The Money: July '08 : Getting The Most Bang For Your Buck (Toms Hardware)

Better than yours. C*nt.
Tom's Hardware are partially funded by Intel, and nVidia are in good favour too. Who would you go for, the guy who pays your wages or the guy that's in competition with him?

172 Cup
Aah another fanboy with a conspiracy theory.

So why do they later go on to recommend the ATI in another price bracket?

Better than yours. C*nt.
Aah another fanboy with a conspiracy theory.

So why do they later go on to recommend the ATI in another price bracket?

Actually, another independent benchmarker thanks, funded by the people who pay for the rag, and supported by distributors more than manufacturers.

I'll also take the opportunity to point the flaw in your plan - $160 is NOT £100 - The $200 winner (£100) is the AT 4850. So, would the 8800GT not be the best card for $200 if it's better than the 4850?

172 Cup
I'll also take the opportunity to point the flaw in your plan

Rigth back at ya..

It might be $200 in the states but just because that equates to £100 (ish) doesn't mean you can buy it for that price over here. After all a BMW M3 is $55,000 but it's not available here for £28,000 is it?!? No.

Recommend what you want. I have my opinion you have yours. I'm not sad enough to accuse people of being on drugs and bash one of in the toilet to a copy of next months GPU Monthly.

ex Clio 172 owner :(
+5 for 8800GT

I've got an evga card. 10 year guarantee even including if you overclock it. Plus they do a 90 day step up programme where if you fancy upgrading within 90 days of purchase, they'll allow you full value for the original card and you just pay the difference.

My evga card is the 8800 GT SSC @700mhz stock.

All

Will that card run on a PCI-E 1.0 mobo??

Many thanks

edit: sorry ill be more specific will either of those cards work?

Last edited:
  Clio 182
Yes they will work and you wont really see any performance drop as it is all to do with memory bandwidth and all single GPU cards dont even come close to maxing out the bandwidth, just check you have a 16x slot.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Mine is a 8x 1.0, as far as I was aware the 2.0 was a 16x

No, x16 is the number of lanes, 1.0/1.1/2.0 is the specification. What motherboard? If it's primary graphics slot is 8x, then it's likely to be AGP.

'91 Clio RT =D
a couple of years back nvidia were the best brand

nowadays ati has pretty much out done the latest ati.

Its up to you mate, but at the end of the day whatever you get will work effectivley.

In my opinioun its ati and I have built just a fair amount of computers.

megane/clio
until the ati 3800/4800 series cards came out nothing could get close to the nvidia 8800 series , iirc the new ati cards were only out earlier this year (4800 in particular) , at the end of the day its down to personal choice as they are so closely matched , if you look at the comparison tables the difference in fps in most games is minimal so the majority of people wouldnt be able to tell any difference :))

FOCUS ST 275
Slight Hijack here sorry.

Im in the same boat, i have the Nvidia GEforce 7300 LE at the moment.
But it wont cope with COD4 or BF2.
Would the 8800 just plug straight into the space left by the 7300??

Do you need to install it somehow?

megane/clio
yes it would your 7300le is pci express so the 8800 would fit ,any card thats pci-e would fit , just need the drivers that go with the new card , easy enough

ValverInBits
can someone recommend a card for £70 quid absolute max. Are the 8600GT cards any good?

what about a 6800GT off ebay?

Mitsubishi Colt
  172 FF
can someone recommend a card for £70 quid absolute max. Are the 8600GT cards any good?

what about a 6800GT off ebay?

6800 is well old technology now. Series 6 cards, they good at the time, but are a bit dated for todays games. Also the 6800 will most likely be AGP slot.

8600GT is mid range card from series 8. Will play games ok in lower resolutions, but you would be getting double the performance or more by going for an 8800 series card.

Haven't checked out what ATi are offering these days, although I read their new cards are supposed to be pretty good value & decent performance. But one thing I have always said even when ATi had the fastest cards, if you want a card for gaming then get an nVidia. They are usually better for drivers, less glitches & bugs etc..

I managed to get the spec of myPCIE slot, Logic would tell me the ATI card should be fine, but before I order away if someone could just confirm :D Thanks

Bus PCI-Express :
Device : C51 PCIe Bridge
Version : 1.0
Port : 0
Physical Slot : #0
Slot Populated : Yes
Link Width : x16 (max. x16)
Link Speed : 2.5 GB/s