ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear wheels are sticking out more to the n/s than they do on the o/s

Looking....
Hoping some one can help!
In recent months I have replaced the standard shocks for cup shocks all round and fitted cooksport springs. On the weekend I fitted a set of cup Turinis with 195/45/16 tyres and have found them to be fouling the n/s rear arch. On closer inspection I have noticed the n/s rear wheel is sitting a lot further out than the o/s. The tyres and wheels are all the same size as the original bar the off set and the rear beam is straight. The car drives straight with even tyre wear. Any one else had this? What should I be looking for? I have found a few posts on other forums suggesting adjusting the camber but I am sure I read on here that the clios can not be done? I will try and get some pics up after work.

Any one got any ideas?
Matt

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Mine seems to sit a couple of mm further out on the OS than the NS but doesn't affect the car. Everything is straight!

CursedTitanium 182FF
Im no expert but when I had this on mine it was a missing disc of metal inside the rear brake disc

Probably this, the spacer behind the rear disc is missing. Get one fitted as it will ware your bearing out.

Cup In bits
Could also be the wrong stub axle as you never said where the fouling was , inside-outside.

Most likely the disk spacers though, answer to your question is yes the camber can be adjusted but with shims behind the stub axles which is something that was never done at factory and is a performance mod.

mine scrubbed inside the NS arch, fitted 16mm spacers and now fouls the OS arch, sliced nicely into my sidewall but also my arch isn't right on the OS, arch roller will sort the job for me though

Looking....
Thanks for the input guys, I haven’t had time to get pics up yet but will do this tonight. I will get some measurements as well but as a rough idea there is a fingers width between the tyre and inside of the arch on the o/s but struggle to get anything between the n/s. I have ruled out the spacer behind the rear disc as I changed the disc for a second hand one when it cracked due to a sticky calliper and remember checking it was there. Some one has suggested different discs may be the problem?
I brought the wheels refurbished but have swapped all the wheels around and its just the rear n/s that’s the problem
Its rubbing on the top o/s of the arch and catching on the tyre side wall. Stub axle could be another possibility but how would I check this? As you can tell I am no mechanic but willing to learn and have a go before I take it to a garage so any suggestions welcomed
Matt

Cup In bits
Stub axle thickness is measured with a tape measure lol, you need to know what one looks like first though. Measure the the piece that comes in direct contact with the axle to the back of the caliper carrier, where camber shims are fitted if you know what they are. I had the same problem when I bought my new car, the tyres weren't rubbing but marks were there so I was confused. Turned out there was no disk spacers and then fitting cup turinis did the same.

Looking....
Stub axle thickness is measured with a tape measure lol,

Lol ok smart arse maybe i asked for that! :eek: But what i ment was what should i be measuring, so will check what you have suggested tomorrow.
Now trying to get my head around this..... i understand turinis are a diffrent offset to the original 172 wheels and will stick out further in the arches on all four corners but i am only having a problem on the rear n/s IF i am missing a disc spacer how much would it effect how far the wheel sits next to the arch? Im guessing there is about a 20mm diffrence between how the n/s and o/s sits.

also check that both arch's have a rolled lip on them as mine doesn't on the OS but does the NS.. every other clio i've checked is both like rolled up overs inside the arch but mines just like a sharp edge thus why its catching the tyre wall on mine

Looking....
20130508_183006.gif

20130508_182958.gif

182cup & 172 racecar
Fook! that's miles different.

That's got to be stub axle or something.

Get that jacked up at the weekend and have a good check around, make sure the rear beam bushes haven't moved (unlikely),but you never know.

Shame your not nearer.

Looking....
fooooking hell that's mentally out

Lol so as i thought we can rule out the spacer behind the disc!
I been called into work this morning so not going to get a chance to look at it today, any one got the same set up that could give me a rough measurement between the tyre wall and arch on both sides?

Regarding the stub axel, what differences are there between different models?

Looking....
Ok guys i have managed to get under the car this morning and checked the stub axles and all seems ok, i have had a look about and cant see anything obvious.

20130513_094625.gif

20130513_094727.gif

20130513_094515.gif

20130513_094552.gif

20130513_100322.gif

20130513_100341.gif

The car is going to be up on axle stands for the next hour if anyone has any ideas????

Looking....
Everything looks to be fine. Check how much thread is visible on each stub axle. Measure the stub axle thickness too, hard to tell from pics.

Edit: actually the bush is hanging out on this pic.

I have spent the last two hours with the father in law checking, comparing and measuring everything possible and found nothing.

The bush looks in good condition and sitting right (just the pic i think).
Every thing is measuring the same stub axle, discs, no spacers, nothing bent ect
It as if the rear beam needs to shift to the n/s by 5-6mm???:banghead:

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
20130513_100322.gif

20130513_100341.gif

On the 2nd pict the ABS ring seems to be sitting out alot more that the 1st pict, have you removed the discs to see if there's 2 spacers been fitted by mistake?

Or it could just be the angle of the pict you have taken.

Yeah shame your not nearer to me, i would have come over to help.

Looking....
Phase1sr i will take the disc off Wednesday and check but sure its down to my s**tty pics.

Swede cup stop finding more problems and spending my money, i got a mrs for that!!! The shocks have been on the car for less than 6 months, it went to renault a few weeks ago for a cambelt change and they checked all the shocks then. I see what you're saying about the bushes, could this cause the beam to be out 5-6mm?

Cup In bits
Sorry mate, cant help but find fault it was my job after all. Yup that's your problem with dodgy spacing, I bet it is actually moving about, take a hard right hander and it will be back straight again ;) . Might be the pictures but if there is oil/greasy stuff on the shock its burst.

Bushes aren't a massive job tbh, they can be done with the axle in place hanging from the car with a hammer to remove them and a big socket and a bit of threaded bar to wind the new ones in.

Looking....
Ok mate cheers for all the help and advice so far I think my plan of attack will be
Order new bushes (from eBay link above?)
WD40 all bolts needed to change bushes
Check rear shocks and brake pipes
WD40 all bolts again
Remove discs, check no extra spacers, fit new discs and pads
WD40 all bolts
Hope bushes arrive by the weekend and fit with out swearing or loosing skin from knuckles
Report back with problem solved
Wish me luck!

Cup In bits
They look to be the right one's. not sure how good they are though. If you type in Clio axle bushes on eBay there are loads including genuine parts, whatever suits your budget I suppose.

Looking....
I phoned renault today for a price on the rear axle bushes and a mechanic over herd me and came on the phone, he said it was unlikley to be the bushes as hes worked for renault for 15yrs and is yet to replace them on a clio. I asked if i could bring it down for him to check out but couldnt get me in till Tuesday. Pissed off with the car i got on the floor from a few metres back and took a look and noticed that the shocks looked to be at different angles. The os is sitting straight where as the ns is at an angle pulling outwards at the bottom if that makes sense? If the bushes were shot wouldn't both shocks be at a slight angle? Could i have got it wrong with the stub axles?
What are the differences between the clio range stub axles? I have two days off so hoping to strip it all down and take a proper look if it stops raining!!!

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
I phoned renault today for a price on the rear axle bushes and a mechanic over herd me and came on the phone, he said it was unlikley to be the bushes as hes worked for renault for 15yrs and is yet to replace them on a clio. I asked if i could bring it down for him to check out but couldnt get me in till Tuesday.

Don't trust dealer mechs. I asked for some sump washers for my MX-5, the guy told me hadn't changed a sump washer in 15 years because they don't need it.
Metallurgical dickface.

Cup In bits
There visibly fucked lol, get someone that knows what there doing to measure up things as what you have described would indicate a bent or moved beam not anything to do with the hubs.