ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

rear piston seized. is it bendix?

clio 172
Hi im new here, Ive got a 2001 clio 172.

Basically the piston on my offside rear caliper has seized. Ive wound it back with some big grips once and stuck in new pads. Yheyve gone again and now doesnt want to wind back. Ive got a wind back tool but still doesnt want to budge.

Any advice?

Also ive found a caliper for 39 pounds delivered which I dont mind paying to fix the problem but I need to know if my rear caliper is made by bendix? Theres a B on the back of the caliper but how can I find out? Is it more likely to be a bendix?

Anyway cheers for any help and advice.

Dan

you might be able to resurrect it by very carefully lifting the piston dust seal to one side whilst you lubricate the piston - wind the piston in, carefully pump it out again using the footbrake and repeat until the piston is free.

the rears do very little work in normal driving and can become lazy - once freed off, you can help them out by giving the brakes a good work out every now and again.

BMW M135i
Rear calipers are Bosch iirc, and you don't just squeeze them back in you know. They wind back in by turning them.

clio 172
Yes i know they wind back.

Are they deffinately bosch iirc? I have been given the names of 2 brands, bendix and another one, not bosch? :s

Ill have another go today if not ill order a new caliper.

thanks for the help.

clio 172
And also...will the bendix caliper deffinately not fit then? It would just save some hassle putting a new caliper on.

Cheers

BMW M135i
I don't know they may be the same caliper just made by another company, i'm sure mine have bosch stamped on them but bendix does ring a bell seing as the calipers been used on french cars for about 20 years its probably been made by a few people.

clio 172
thx for your help.

i took the caliper off and clamped it up, managed to get the piston out and clean everything up! :)

Bled brakes and fitted new pads but ive lost the stupid (R?) clip that goes in the L shaped thing under the pads. I know its there for a reason but is it important? Seeing as garages are closed for a few days, my luck!

BMW M135i
Yep a split pin should work, needs to have something in there otherwise the bar can work loose and the pads will drop out.

clio 172
thankyou,this site is becoming very helpful :D Had to come on here to help me with finding the brake reservoir lol. Not a very convenient place ay!