ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear hub torque

Clio 182
Fitting new disks, bearings etc on the rear of my 182 this weekend but I've just realised my torque wrench doesn't go as high as 175Nm. It'll do 135Nm can I get away with doing 135Nm and then "some more" or is this going to bugger the new bearings quickly because they're not preloaded properly. If this is the case does anyone in the Northwest Lancaster/Kendal area have one they would be able to loan to me? :smiley:

Megane 225 f1
Iv'e always air gunned hub nuts and never had a problem, including my 182. Alot of people will say torque them but i would just make sure they are tight.

Clio 182
Oh really? I thought I'd read it was pretty essential to get it bang on, otherwise I'll just torque it as far as I can and do a bit more!

I wouldn’t run them unless torqued personally. Where are you based? Im sure someone local will lend you a torque wrench I know I would if you are around MK area or Basildon?

Lotus Elise
The Gen1 bearing design used on Clios relies heavily on the torque applied to the Hub nut. It determines the preload in the bearing and therefore the stiffness and operating life. Over torqued will cause premature wear just like it being under torqued will.

FF Clio 182
Before I owned a torque wrench I put the rear disc on and done the bolt up tight. Went down to the local garage with a box of donuts and asked them to torque it [emoji5]️

On a side note; anything that involves a bearing is important when it comes to torque. Over torquing can dramatically shorten the life of the bearing. Stick with 175nm and you can't go wrong

Clio 182
I'm going to have a look at the cost of renting a Torque wrench but otherwise I think I'll do all the work myself and drive gently to a garage and get them to torque it.

Clio 182
Did not realise they were available that cheap! Machine mart will next day deliver one for under £30 might as well for the price.