ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wheel bearing issue please help!

Hi,

I’ve just bought a 182 and the car had a loud buzzing coming from the rear wheel. The P/o told me about this prior and included a genuine bearing/disc with the sale so thought all was well.

Took it to the garage to get it fitted and the mechanic said well both are gone, so he ordered me another one and fitted the one I gave him.

I Went to collect the car, drove round the roundabout and it wasn’t right, still noise coming from the second wheel which they had changed the bearing of... straight back to the garage and said that’s not sorted, he apologised ordered another and I left the car with him.

A couple of hours later he calls me up and said there’s something not right here I’ve put two new bearings on and it’s still the same the bearing not spinning properly and it’s loading it up with too much pressure... I’ll just give you all your money back and you can take it away.

So I went to collect the car and spoke to the mechanic again, he said there’s obviously something wrong with the ‘hubs’ I’ve rang Renault and they don’t have any so I’ll just give you your money back as you will be back in a few days complaining that the bearings have gone again.

I’m no mechanic and I’ve just bought this clio so I’ve set myself to work looking online and on this forum to see what possible issues / solutions could be.

So I just thought I’d ask here what you guys think.

I struggled to find anything about rear hubs online presumably because the rear wheel bearing and disc is a combined set up and that goes onto the stub axle?

Looking on some threads on here about stub axles bending or the the rear beam bending so I’ve ordered two used stub axles off eBay.

Also digging deeper another cause of bearings going is due to the disc spacer not being replaced when changing the discs, I’m not sure the garage I went to would have replaced this, I plan on calling them up tomorrow morning and finding out or getting them to take the wheel off and having a look myself.

The first one they replaced the gave me the old one back and the disc spacer isn’t on that, so I’m not sure if they have put it on the car or it was missing previously / new one came with it (I didn’t look as I had no idea until today)

Either way, I’ve ordered 2 off KAM and ordered two axle nuts as well just in case.

So in total I’ve got
Two stub axles
Two disc spacers
Two axle nuts

Is this all I need or am I missing some compenents which may effect the wheel bearing?

My thoughts were do the stubs and the disc spacers first and then if that doesn’t solve it is it a rear beam replacement?

Any help would be appreciated

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
Cant see how a bent rear beam could cause a bearing to go before you noticed odd handling or uneven tyre wear.

Get it 4 wheel tracked before you go about replacing the beam

Thanks for your replies.

So do you think I’ve got the necessary parts to fix the problem?

I’ll get those fitted and then get an alignment done.

Yeah will be replacing the bearings along with the other bits.

The guy at the garage called me this morning and said that he had a look online and the disc spacers definitely weren't present and they didn't fit them so think thats definitely the cause... going in on Tuesday to get it all sorted so hopefully thats it!

Thanks for your help

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Sounds like the spacer washers not been fitted. Catch a lot of people out, I'm sending them all over the world now as NLA from Renault. Make sure they're fitted Tapered side Towards the car, and re-torqued to 175nm .

They also go on the stub axle before the rear discs, saw a post other day where someone had put them on the outside of the discs and then hub nut on after and then wondered why they had the bearings fail :unsure: