ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear half cage from ebay

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
So car has now been purchased. Before I do anything I want to get a cage. I'm not going full cage because the cost is just vast.
I've been eyeing these up for years now and just wondered if anyone had any experience with them.
How easy are these to fit, quality, weight?
At under £200 it looks good. Regardless it's from ebay it looks to be made by a proper fabricator so not your standard ebay jobby. I can't find any previous threads on this despite seeing them for sale on here a few times.

Rollcage_zps1847fea1.jpg

I guess the question is, is the metal used good enough that it's going to help save you in a crash, or is it going to do more damage? If it's the latter, then even if it's a show cage it's certainly something to consider :smile:.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Yeah that's really what I'm thinking about, whether it's going to help or is it going to bust. I'm not after a show cage, just want to have somewhere to mount harnesses and protect as much as possible if the unfortunate did occur.

@Fraser.J. do you have experience with one of these :) tell me more!!

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
@GrahamS I have one of these fitted in my track car...like the comments say I found my car much more solid when fitted and I am not and expert on steel but it is made from solid stuff.

Me and my mate who has a garage and does mainly Ford tuning is very impressed with them and like you said it will do more than not having one I'm sure.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Good find! That's the exact style of half cage I've been looking for but a lot cheaper than I've been seeing them lol! Got a link by any chance @GrahamS
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-05-c...124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20f604631c There you go buddy. He's been doing them for a couple of years at least. Nearly got one for the 182 but never tracked it in the end.

All sounds good then. @dmallett @Fraser.J. have you lads got any photos of the spreader plates and know rough costs of getting this done? One thing I can't do is weld!

edit @@Josh snuck in there! good to hear more good reviews. How have you mounted it matey?

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
@GrahamS i don't have any pictures on my phone I will try and get some over the weekend, but basically straight through the floor but I have got a plate on the bottom so it won't get ripped though should anything happen. Then the same in the wheel arch.

Let me just add its a pain in the arse to fit easy a 2 man job with a lot of swearing, also best to remove all your front seats and put it in the most awkward way and it will fit haha

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
Also for the people who want one if you all contact him and he should do you a a deal he did with us

Clio 172 & BMW 335D
I'm sure you would get a deal from him good guy!

They are easy enough to paint too as they come standard colour with tape all over them which is a pain to get off.

@GrahamS one think I am thinking of doing is....becuase I don't want to pay for a full cage I might put some cross bars across the door which will get mounted in my footwell and passanger footwell and then attach onto the cage about half way up the front of the cage, say where your elbow would be if you are sat in your car seat? If this makes sense to you it may well give that little but of protection if anything were to happen. Hope you get what I mean!

Track 172 Cup
I have one but made my own spreader plates as the ones in his 'kit' are crap imo same size as the feet on the cage and pretty thin (mine are 4mm thick steel plate and 8"x8" the rears are 3" and about 8" and have spreaders on either side of the car inside and out) the cage itself is very good granted I haven't rolled the car to test it lol I mainly wanted a harness bar but this was cheaper and I have a mate who makes his own cages for his grass tracking or whatever they call it and he's rolled a few times (I've been with him on some) and his hold up well and I would say these are better made. Had mine powder coated for £30 and jobs a good 'un. Was a bit of a pain to fit definitely a 2 man job lol and mine was bent a little by the courier.

20150125_163954.jpg
20150125_164025.jpg
20150125_164010.jpg

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
exactly the replies I was after. Thanks for the pictures @StuOwen86 that looks good and fixed pretty good. Does it come with bolts to fix it in or when you made up some spreader plates did you have to use extended ones?

@withoutabix 150+postage for rear cross and harness bar. I might give him a buzz this morning and see what discount he could do if we got five people together. edit, doesn't mention the harness bar on his site but will check for you. edit of the edit £160

@@Josh yeah I see what you mean. I thought about doing serious light weight and chopping the inside frame of the doors out but would want to have door bars first. If you do that let me know how you get on :smile:

@MicKPM cheers Mick, I'm really after something that is a better than nothing scenario without going overkill for doing one track day a year so it sounds pretty suitable.

Last edited:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Agreed, they're not CDS tubing but we ran similar spec cages in junior grass track when I was much much younger and having put a Mini nose to boot with one I can confirm they will do the job.

You need to be sure that spreader plates are used though. The standard crash structure is pretty decent anyway and this will add that extra support in the event you manage to get on your roof.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I've just dropped him a line about the cages asking for group buy prices on getting five and 10 people together. Also asked about making larger spreader plates and how much extra that would be. Will let everyone know and keep it updated.

Track 172 Cup
I 'think' that I used the bolts supplied they're only 8.8 still high tensile but I did have loads that I brought home from work so not 100% that I used the supplied ones. As said get the larger and thicker spreader plates if he will do them I read the msa blue book and seen how big and thick they used and made mine to that size. Think it says about 12cm squared and 4th thick I had to slightly bend the wheel arch ones and then they pulled to the right shape when I bolted them tight. I have all faith in the cage holding up to a roll BUT not that it wouldn't punch through the floor and the rear arches I wanted as much as I could as both harnesses would be pulling on it if we have a head on. I only use mine on track though.

ph2 clio sport 172
This is perfect timing as I was just looking at ordering. 100 percent will put my name down if group buy goes ahead.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Thanks @StuOwen86

I found this site really helpful http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.p...guide-illustrated-to-help-with-MSA-compliance am I right in thinking the spreader plates are only on one side of the car or do they act like a clamp and go both sides of the shell? The above thread thinks it's 12cm square with 3mm thick. What kind of place can weld this in?

I got an email back.
We do a fitting kit of 4 under plates and all nuts & bolts for £20. If your guy's want to fit spreader plates that is their choice. we would never use anything thicker than 2mm as this will deforme with the floor. a thick 4mm plate could tear the original floor and punch through as because it wont bend it wil tear...........We do make full cages but require the car as they are pre-stressed and welded into the car

Discount wise Alan said he could only do a 2 for 1 on postage so a saving of £14 each when two are bought. He seems to know it's the cheapest cage about for the clio! I will talk to him a little more when I have a spare moment to see if I can get any more movement on price. What are peoples thoughts?

Audi B5 RS4,Clio 172
I've been looking at these for a while aswell. I'd be up for getting one if any discount is available

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Discount wise Alan said he could only do a 2 for 1 on postage so a saving of £14 each when two are bought. He seems to know it's the cheapest cage about for the clio! I will talk to him a little more when I have a spare moment to see if I can get any more movement on price. What are peoples thoughts?
Surely if we're buying direct then he could maybe waive whatever fees he would usually get taken off the price of an eBay sale?

ph2 clio sport 172
@GrahamS put me on a list buddy if you sort a group buy was literally gonna order one this weekend so if I cam save on postage will help :)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Surely if we're buying direct then he could maybe waive whatever fees he would usually get taken off the price of an eBay sale?
Thats what i do if people buy direct i knock off ebay fees,
If we get a group buy going im in!!!!
@GrahamS put me on a list buddy if you sort a group buy was literally gonna order one this weekend so if I cam save on postage will help :smile:
I think that's what he's really doing with the postage. The cage sells on ebay for £130 and then he re-invoices you if you want to have the extra bars (I guess this doesn't effect final value fee he's charged) I'll talk to him on Monday and see what the crack is. Will do my best chaps.
Guys, can we set up a group buy and can gauge interest in there.

This is going away from 'how good is the cage' to 'who wants one'.
Yes! I was thinking that. Wasn't sure if I had to have the deal set up and ready to go before doing that.

Track 172 Cup
I also paid the full amount via ebay/paypal for the cage with harness bars etc £188 he didn't charge me £130 then re invoice me. Still very happy with the cage and had a few people look at it while at Oulton and comment saying it looks more expensive than £188 worth lol.