ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear half cage from ebay

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I don't "do" welding I'm afraid chap... Because being honest, I can't!

I can paint it, install it and get it welded in for you but I'd have to price it up and it wouldn't be a drive in and wait job

haimsey

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172
I have this cage, can't fault it. The welds are bit untidy, but I work with coded welders and they've agreed they are fine. As mentioned it isn't CDS tube so wouldn't pass scrutineers inspection if you wanted to compete, but for a few trackdays its fine for that bit of extra safety
Alan does offer different cage layouts. Single diagonal & harness bars - or just the diag. Double diag with harness bars - just the double diag. Ask him for options
Fitting - we found it easier to get 1 bolt in each of the front feet. Then using another car (tow hook) ratchet strap it back into position to make sure it was even/square before drilling the rest of the holes. Nice and snug now. Car definitely tightened up a lot and gave me that confidence on track.

Track 172 Cup
Can these be stick welded in? or do they have to be MIG/TIG welded? only wondering as i don't have access to a MIG/TIG but the car is only use for track days not competition or anything. If they do have to be MIG/TIG I could always go to a local Fab shop where i know they guys. Would rather do it myself for free though lol.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Can these be stick welded in? or do they have to be MIG/TIG welded? only wondering as i don't have access to a MIG/TIG but the car is only use for track days not competition or anything. If they do have to be MIG/TIG I could always go to a local Fab shop where i know they guys. Would rather do it myself for free though lol.
They bolt in matey. Drill holes for the fitting plates.

Track 172 Cup
I have one fitted with spreader plates (pics on page one) but the plates have to be welded in was just wondering if the stick weld would be good enough as opposed to MIG/TIG

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I have one fitted with spreader plates (pics on page one) but the plates have to be welded in was just wondering if the stick weld would be good enough as opposed to MIG/TIG
The plates the chap supplied are meant to be bolted from the underneath so the car is clamped in between them so there shouldn't be any welding involved. If you put the spreaders in the car I'm not sure!

Track 172 Cup
yeah i made my own plates as the ones that come with the kit seemed too small, I looked over the MSA blue book just for some info on the size they should be even though I'm not competing and the size they say is almost 3x the size the ones he supplies. I have my own spreaders inside the car and just used his underneath, i thought if anything I'm more likely to roll and punch through the floor than rip them up out of it.

172 rag
Weld properly the plates (check MSA blue book, FIA regs) and the bolts must have the thread to the inside of tne car

@MicKPM the mini that probbly you used to race would weight 700kg max and have also max 70hp with funny top speed (except if it was a mini 7even or miglia). Besides the nose in a mini is not a sructural part (thats why we also use flip fronts with no side effects)

A poorly fitted cage and a cage that is made of steel tubes can be lethal (touch wood).
Apart from the safety issue if I was on the market for a track day toy I would walk away from cars with ths sort of cages.

Sorry to bring up an old thread but im considering buying one of these myself and just had a quick search to see if it had been covered already. Are people still running these with no issues? Worth the money? They seem it so far but any updates would be appreciated.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Sorry to bring up an old thread but im considering buying one of these myself and just had a quick search to see if it had been covered already. Are people still running these with no issues? Worth the money? They seem it so far but any updates would be appreciated.
I'm still running mine with no problems. Admittedly I've done barely any miles in the car but have done one track day with it. The only thing I would like to change is having some proper spreader plates welding in but other than that it's very good for the money.

I'm still running mine with no problems. Admittedly I've done barely any miles in the car but have done one track day with it. The only thing I would like to change is having some proper spreader plates welding in but other than that it's very good for the money.
Speedy reply! Cheers for the info, I'd definitely use spreader plates and weld them all in too. Think I'll order one this week, the quality for the price seems rather unbeatable.