ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rear ended part duex

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
This morning I managed to get smacked up the ar*e by a Megane while taking Megan to school, it shook her up a bit but she managed to get to and take part in the sports day and is fine. I now have, after several hours of recovery, taxi rides, collection by Enterprise, and then a fun drive home, a 1.0 EcoBoost (100PS) Zetec Fiesta sat on the drive.

The whole experience, my first time I've ever come together with another car, has been surprisingly, err, pleasant.
Aviva Insurance couldn't have been better.
RAC Recovery couldn't have been better.
The repairing Ford dealership couldn't have been better.
Enterprise rentals couldn't have been better.
The car they gave me, I'll let you know on that one as I have it for a few weeks at least.

It's repairable according to the service manager, the creasing in the floor is my main concern as the bumper and boot look to be needing a straightforward complete replacement. Fingers are firmly crossed I get it back within 5 weeks as I have a day at Goodwood booked. Having said that the EcoBoost would be a right laugh on track!

The Ford SYNC emergency assist was a surprise, I knew my car came with it but never thought I'd need it.

It sensed the impact, immediately dialled the Ford assist team, sent them my GPS coordinates, then opened the line for me to talk...then the guy immediately put me through to emergency services. It's nice to know that safety net is there should I leave the road and knock myself out on the country roads I drive on dark winter nights.

Lastly, dashcams, get one (or two), considering they cost buttons I really don't know why you wouldn't have one for the peace of mind they give? I was lucky, the guy that hit me was a decent bloke, very apologetic, was still apologising when I phoned him a few hours later to update him. If he was an as**hole though, claimed I brake tested him/whatever, a £33 camera would prove indisputably otherwise.

And LOL at the timing of Vassos Alexander!

IMG_20150703_082202.jpg
IMG_20150703_110116.jpg
IMG_20150703_110125.jpg
IMG_20150703_110138.jpg
IMG_20150703_110147.jpg
IMG_20150703_110158.jpg
IMG_20150703_110635.jpg
IMG_20150703_110644.jpg
IMG_20150703_155222.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Crumple zones are funny these days. So so clever yet a ball ache at the same time.

Really good video though, great addition to car ownership imo especially on a decent car.

Let me know if you need any advice or help mate.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Oh, and a few words on the Zetec;

Small doors are weird.
So many turns from lock to lock is weird.
SYNC, bluetooth, voice control of my iPod are all exactly the same despite it being the lower spec non-Sony audio unit.
Movement on the brakes through the 55 profile sidewalls is pure comedy.
Haven't really taken it around a proper corner and/or roundabout but I'm sure it'll be a right laugh.

Will have to make the most of my few weeks with it and get lots of hire car Fiesta vids up!

Dan.AS

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 & Mk2 GTE 16v
Bad times. Hope you get it back in time for your Goodwood trip. That sync emergency thing is really clever.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Fair wack that! Thought there would be way more damage.

Wish they did the 5 door ST over here.

Volvo S60 T5
Just seen this on YouTube, let me know if you want to sell your good wood session on, hey even come along with my 182 if you want
glad you are all ok

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
What an idiot, can't have been looking at the road, doesn't look like he braked at all.

It's done quite well considering the whack it took.

Hope it gets sorted in time for Goodwood.

It's quite apt that there is a satchel behind your car in the second pic. Were you going for a metaphor there? :wink:

Glad no one was hurt and the wee one is fine, that's the main thing, everything else is just an inconvenience.

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
People's driving really worries me.

Glad you're both ok. Car on first glance stood up very well. As previously said though crumple zones are a funny thing.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As long as your kid is ok, the rest can sort itself out.

As per posh boy though, got any links to these cameras?

Are they hard wired in?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Fair wack that! Thought there would be way more damage.

Wish they did the 5 door ST over here.

Having now used the five door Zetec for a day the back doors make life so much easier...I'll add that to my "this is why a Focus RS is a good idea" argument I think.

Just seen this on YouTube, let me know if you want to sell your good wood session on, hey even come along with my 182 if you want
glad you are all ok

Nice one Mike, thank you. I'm sure all will be done in time and hope it doesn't come to that but I'll let you know.

Your poor girl sounded well upset, that would bother me more than the car.

Her being in the car was the reason for my relatively calm response to the whole thing. She was fine really, it was no worse than getting fired away on the Stealth ride at Thorpe Park (which we both did six times on Tuesday) but she never saw the car or impact coming so it was quite a shock for her. I glanced in my rear-view milliseconds before impact so knew what was coming but had no time to react or say anything!

Link to the car cams?

As long as your kid is ok, the rest can sort itself out.

As per posh boy though, got any links to these cameras?

Are they hard wired in?

The cameras are simple cheap things...I posted a thread about them here...

http://www.cliosport.net/threads/g1wh-dashboard-camera-review.747884/

I don't have them hardwired in but have a multi-power-socket/USB extension running from the front socket into the glovebox and run both devices from within there.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hmmm 4200. They have assessed to replace the boot floor over repairing it if that's the case. Who are you insured through Mark?

Not sure why they quoted plus vat. That means nothing. Sick of seeing that everywhere, especially where the general public are concerned. The cost is the cost irrelevant of vat.

They won't total loss the car because your settlement valuation will be well above 10k. Think about it like this. They must value the car and settlement (depending on condition) on the basis you could walk into a garage tomorrow paying cash and buy the exact same car.

Different companies value cars differently but that is your legal right really.

@MarkCup if you need anything else or you need to tag me send me a PM mate. Be more than happy to help over the phone or email etc.

Would be ideal if you can attain a copy of the full estimate that was sent off to insurers. It should take. Less than a minute to locate the estimate on Audatex and email it to you.

Padso

ClioSport Club Member
  Merc
Maybe better to have it written off so you can buy another?

Could be ballache if/when you ever try to sell the car in future.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
^ Doesn't matter which insurance company funds the repair.

If it went Cat D then that means it's written off... Not that it gets repaired anyway and given back to you with half the resale value ffs. And unless you buy brand new, you are not to know whether your car has been through an insurance claim or not (unless it was written off).

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I know if the other insurance company repair it, it will not have a category maker however eagle eyed buyers will notice repairs, paint matching/blown into panels.
Surely thew whole point of having your car repaired properly is so that it is returned to factory spec and a very very small % of people will ever know it has been painted at all.

I just think people can blow things out of proportion very quickly when it comes to repairing cars. Does the garage have the Pas125 kitemark Mark?

just-that-ek

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane R26
Watching that video again can't believe people just carried on straight away bunch of c***s.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
They don't repair cars then declare them catogorey losses, do they?

I was under the influence if they repair it regardless of cost, and its repaired - its deemed 'straight'...?

Ergo Rowans wonder hit Mclaren F1..?

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
You're right Dan, the wording of people above are confusing people, as they always do in these threads.

How was the Golf repair mate?

Yeah as said, if they repair it then it doesn't get categorised.

Had a similar accident in my Lupo a few weeks back, glad your daughter is ok, i was very pleased my 3 year old wasn't in the car when it happened to me! i was stopped at a junction leaning forward and looking left, the guy behind said 'i thought you had pulled out so i floored it to follow you out' my neck is wrecked on the left side! physio (proper physio not an insurance scam job) said 1 session a week for 3 months! my left trap muscle was completely locked solid! you got any injuries? that was a pretty heavy impact!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
My first thought was what was the guy in the Megane doing? it seemed like forever you were sat there indicating!

Did you release the brakes before impact out of curiosity?

Philip.

ClioSport Club Member
  VRS 245
Hefty hit that! I'm glad you're both okay though, by far the most important thing.

The cameras are brilliant tbh.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe better to have it written off so you can buy another?

Could be ballache if/when you ever try to sell the car in future.

I don't want another one. I've cherished this one for the last two years and 40,000 miles, it's never been held on the clutch, gear shifts are always rev-matched, it spends most of its life being driven gently along country back roads, so with the 5 year Ford warranty I bought it with I have a good 3 years and 60k of (hopefully) trouble free motoring remaining.

Compared to getting one used from an STOC member? I couldn't do that on general principle. Wind deflectors and gel overlays offend me let alone how it will have been driven straight off the forecourt.

Surely thew whole point of having your car repaired properly is so that it is returned to factory spec and a very very small % of people will ever know it has been painted at all.

I just think people can blow things out of proportion very quickly when it comes to repairing cars. Does the garage have the Pas125 kitemark Mark?

I don't know about any Kitemark @gally , I refused Aviva's choice of repairer because I want the history to show it's been repaired by Ford, so I opted for a local long established dealer.

Watching that video again can't believe people just carried on straight away bunch of c***s.

That's karma.

My first thought was what was the guy in the Megane doing? it seemed like forever you were sat there indicating!

Did you release the brakes before impact out of curiosity?

Brakes weren't applied when he hit as I was just getting ready to turn right after the white van had passed.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Good idea to avoid using their approved repairer. You're the 3rd party anyway so it's irrelevant who fixes it as the other guy pays. Did you ask about the hire car again?

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Nah. I'm enjoying the Zetec 1.0.

Economy is ridiculous and my progress is the same as in the ST...1 is fine but I have to hope no 2 or 3 car overtakes are needed. That's the only downside really.

At its core its very similar to the ST, it is a bit soft and imprecise when pressing on but that just makes the prospect of the ST coming back even better.