ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

really at a loss now! please help :(

RacingBlue + IceBurg
i have tried everything to sort the misfire/power loss................it basically misfires at low revs in every gear. feels like its struggling for fuel, untill i put my foot down then it picks up without misfiring, but has a distict loss of power. not all the time, comes and goes. can go a couple days without misfiring/struggling... but then will do it all day for a few days. theres no pattern, just when it feels like it....

also when idle, the exhaust chuggs/splutters a lot. this is constant

list of things i've changed (all new parts)

coil pack
leads
spark plugs
oil change and filter
knock sensor
crank sensor

i have also just checked all the injectors and they look clean enough and look like they are putting enough fuel through.

only other thing i can think of is the fuel filter.... as the problems started when i let the fuel run to red light everytime for a week or 2, and only topping up with £10 at a time, as had unusually high bills that month and was skint cos of it. could that have caused s**t to clog up the filter?

its just the randomness of it that throws me... dont want to have to take it to a garage really, lst resort,,, but cant think of anything else. i love the car to bits, and when it was running spot on it was an absolute pleasure to drive, but its becoming a real chore now and dont want to drive it...

any help?? :(

Last edited:
  RacingBlue + IceBurg
no EML. used to come on intermitently, flash for a minute then go off. yeah got plugged in. just came up with knock sensor and random misfire. changed the sensor, got plugged again and wiped the errors. but still doing it.

havent used injecter cleaner... surely if it needed cleaning then it would be constant? not on the random..

Twingo GT
cos the injector cleaner would go through fuel pump and clean that too wouldnt it?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I don't understand the logic (and it's not just you chap!) behind crap in the fuel tank. What do you put in there apart from petrol ? And also, do you think the pick up for the pump/filter is going to be at the top of the tank .....?

I can't help you on the misfire.. could be 101 things. Sorry. MAP/MAF might be my guess but I've no idea what the Ph2 FBW throttles run.

Good luck !

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
A long motorway journey always makes mine better, but hear what you say about cash. Mine does it sometimes, just hesitate and then picks up again ok. I have just bought another engine with all the sensors. I will try a new sensor every week and see if it changes anything. I'll let you know.

RacingBlue + IceBurg
I don't understand the logic (and it's not just you chap!) behind crap in the fuel tank. What do you put in there apart from petrol ? And also, do you think the pick up for the pump/filter is going to be at the top of the tank .....?

I can't help you on the misfire.. could be 101 things. Sorry. MAP/MAF might be my guess but I've no idea what the Ph2 FBW throttles run.

Good luck !

been told this loads of times by people, let the fuel run down and will drag the crap through ur engine lol u make sense tho. i have absolutly no clue about engines, and tbh was quite pleased with all the stuff i had managed to change myself before needing to take it to a garage, as easy as the work would be to some people. first time i've actaully had a go putting things right myself with an engine. though looks like its gonna have to go to the garage :(

330 Ci
Do you have a piggyback ecu fitted?

I had exactly the same symptoms when my piggyback ecu (dastek fastchip) went heywire

Mondeo TDCI 130
Sorry i thought it had constant miss! just read it again, pre cat lambda are pretty common aswell!

RB Recaro'd 182 Cup
Lambda sensor would have been my first thought.

Mine was miss-firing coughing spluttering and was pretty much undriveable until i got it changed.

RacingBlue + IceBurg
Lambda sensor would have been my first thought.

Mine was miss-firing coughing spluttering and was pretty much undriveable until i got it changed.

thats it tho, its not undrivable :/ drives fine, but then plays up. even when its at its worst you can still drive it fine, just lack of power and misfires at low revs...

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
You tried everything but what you should have done to start with.

Take it to someone who has a decent code reader.

If you had done this you would probably have saved a load of money buying parts you didn't need to.

RacingBlue + IceBurg
You tried everything but what you should have done to start with.

Take it to someone who has a decent code reader.

If you had done this you would probably have saved a load of money buying parts you didn't need to.

It got scanned by a proper reader at a garage...

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
It got scanned by a proper reader at a garage...

for fault codes? or actual live data? fault codes will only really tell you when a sensor is dead as a doornail, or unplugged. If it's giving spurious readings the ECU will still think it's fine

182cup & 172 racecar
Believe it or not mine has started doing this.
If I just jump in and drive off it then starts spluttering like it's firing on one cylinder.
If I leave ticking over for 5mins,then drive off,it's fine.

Too much sh1t under the bonnet of these road cars imo.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
My ph1 used to splutter when cold on light acceleration, think it was overfuelling

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Believe it or not mine has started doing this.
If I just jump in and drive off it then starts spluttering like it's firing on one cylinder.
If I leave ticking over for 5mins,then drive off,it's fine.

Too much sh1t under the bonnet of these road cars imo.

Are you doing karting next weekend? I'll bring my diagnostics kit and confirm it's Lambda

Ph1

Good luck !

I took a tank off not long ago and there were particles of debris in it but yeah it wouldn't / shouldn't make the engine as that is what the filters for :S